Train Sim World 3

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Noel06, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Noel06

Noel06 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone
    Does somebody know whether a ”TSW“ (3) is in planning?
    Regards
    Noel06

2. highland beastie

highland beastie Well-Known Member

I highly doubt it is, dtg have said countless times that tsw3 is not coming anytime soon but it will come eventually just not for a long time.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yes. There isn't.

• Like Like x 3
  4. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

No. Just no. I don't want the pain and suffering of switching to TSW2 and waiting 3 Months to be able to use DLC I already owned that Dovetail had previously said would be available at launch.

• Like Like x 6
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Has not been announced if announced One of the base game routes can be international like Duisburg-Oberhausen-Arnhem-Utrecht. US NJ Transit Raritan Valley Line UK Calder Valley Line. The cover will be ALP-45DP DB BR408 DB BR429 Tri Voltage DB BR193 Passenger/Freight Freight DB BR 189 Class 195

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

No, no intentions as far as we know.

7. Clumsy Pacer

I still think TSW3 will be when they decide to go for UE5 (or maybe even UE6 if we get there), and will be completely incompatible with TSW2.

They have no intention right now to go for UE5.

• Like Like x 2
  8. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

I believe they can not launch TSW3, if they do not fix before, all the pending issues and problems TSW2 it has today!
    And they are not few.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Clumsy Pacer

TS1 still has loads of bugs and issues.

10. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

That is right!
    But at least I hopes as they are improving all the old routes with TSW2 features, those ones be fixed too.
    If not, as they will become TSW2 routes, then my comment was right! ;)

11. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

But on TS classic you can buy enhancement packs and extra trains/stock that are better than what DTG other. That's not possible in TSW.

12. CrazyHorseyMan

CrazyHorseyMan Member

13. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

14. CrazyHorseyMan

CrazyHorseyMan Member

Thanks! I actually read this on March 31.St and saved the link for later! I am relly stupid

15. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

There is no need for a 3rd version. TSW2 has plenty of scope for new DLC and fixes that should have been fixed a year ago etc. if TSW3 ever does come out, think of all the work and time needed to port all the existing DLC over to it.

Wouldn’t bother upgrading unless it had every UK DLC that I own now on it too.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Clumsy Pacer

That's why I don't think they'd bother - like TS1 --> TSW; start with a clean slate on a different engine

17. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think DTG should scrap the TSW 2 title and rename it something like TSW 2022 when they release the summer update*. Each summer update can then be TSW 2023, TSW 2024 etc. The base game will always remain the same, but any core changes will be implemented in the new version and available DLC with players having the option of buying any new routes like the Rush Hour pack. Removes any need for a TSW 3 or TSW 4 etc.

*assuming there are future summer updates

18. Clumsy Pacer

Yes, let's introduce a system that they've just scrapped for TS1 and was derided for years, and made everyone think they were getting a new game every year, or that they had to buy the new version.

Brilliant idea.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

No reason to think it’ll be a new game if marketed and promoted carefully. At the end of the day, a year or a sequential number is the same effectively.

20. opgames

opgames Active Member

When hell freezes over

• Like Like x 1
  21. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

It would be better to give yearly iterations themes instead of numbers like last year's rush hour. That way the base routes can be refreshed to show off the latest TSW developments whilst giving existing players a route bundle discount.

22. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Now that Train Simulator Classic is going to officially be a thing, I think Train Sim World 2 should ditch the 2 and go back to being called Train Sim World. I don't see a need to stick the year at the end of the title, themed releases could just be given a subtitle like Rush Hour had.

• Like Like x 1
  23. highland beastie

highland beastie Well-Known Member

The 2 doesn't represent the year it represents that it is the 2nd TSW game, if they just called it TSW people might get confused between the 2 games as TSW 2020 and TSW sound very similar.

24. SonicScott91

I know that, I was referring to TS2022 and TSW2020 rather than TSW2. If DTG took TSW2020 off sale and renamed TSW2 to just TSW, you'd have just Train Sim Classic and Train Sim World which looks a lot more organised in my personal opinion :)

• Like Like x 1
  25. Clumsy Pacer

Then in your steam library, anyone who has TSW2020 and TS1 (like me) would have:
    Train Sim World
    Train Sim World 2020
    Train Simulator Classic

Very organised, and makes the older game look newer.

26. SonicScott91

There is that I suppose. I usually hide all uninstalled items in Steam so TSW2020 doesn't show up in the list unless I choose to show all.

27. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

Let's hope not! Wouldn't that mean having to repurchase all content again just to go to a new engine? I would hope the developers were not this cruel.

28. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Let's see:
    TS ---> TSW was the "next step" for DTG's Train Simulation, bringing it to Unreal and Console alike.

TSW ---> TSW2020 was a Yearly Release that strongly echoed TS' model - TSW1 also had a similar release schedule, with routes being announced not too long before coming out.

TSW2020 ---> TSW2 was the upgrade in Unreal Engine which warranted a new game, which of course brought the challenges of the preserved collection with it.

TSW2 ---> TSW2: Rush Hour was of course the Summer Core Update with a bundle of routes coming along with it. Of course it's till the same game and still known as TSW2, however it's a good system.

The Yearly Release isn't a good idea, because it makes it seem like a new game, or that it's important to get the newer version. Yearly bundles with a core update - despite being literally the same thing - make it more subtle, and also mean that life carries on as normal in other departments.

I suspect TSW2 ---> TSW3 will come in a few years time with the following:
    • Unreal Engine 5
    • Gen8 console support axed
    • Significant visual improvements (primarily thanks to the engine)

And that'll be the process back to August 2020 again. That's if TSW3 comes, however. Ideally it just wouldn't.

• Like Like x 1
  29. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

I think the current TSW2 graphics are quite good, particularly in 4K. If only they could get rid of the horrible stuttering, it would be great.

30. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

The graphics are good, however there are plenty of features that are untouched, which modders have managed to expose, such as some of the stuff London Midland has found.

• Like Like x 1
  31. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

We are sorry to announce that the 17/08 TSW3 service has been delayed. This is due to priority work and fix's. Passangers for TSW3 should aboard the Summer release departing this year.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

No way, DTG are in enough trouble as is, what with dlc being filled with bugs. Then again, it seems they don't care...

• Like Like x 1
  33. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

We don't need tsw3. Look at the current mess tsw2 is currently in with some of it's routes.

• Like Like x 1
  34. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

What? You mean I will have to buy a whole new sim and purchase track DLCs all over again?

35. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Don't panic...
    1. There is no indication DTG are planning a move to a third version of the game.
    2. I'm sure if they do at some point, existing TSW2 titles will port over as happened with (most) TSW1 content.

• Like Like x 1
  36. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Why does it really matter if there is a TSW3? TSW2 is good enough for the next however many years, it’s currently hard enough for dtg to get the thing to perform as it should with regards to all the bugs and issues without making it even more complicated for them to handle. The next really worthwhile step would be virtual reality ( Make it so! ) and by the time that technology comes along most if not all of us will be dead! Ha ha.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  37. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

Well that would be ok. I'm also into Sim Racing and all the titles that do introduce a new version require you to purchase the new title and all its DLC content. F1, AMS2, you name it.

38. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

What are the bugs you are referring to? My main gripe with this sim is the graphics stuttering and I'm using a 3080ti card within a high performance pc at 4K Ultra settings.

39. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I would want to talk about TSW3. I now finally made the jump to gen9 and tried out TSW2 and was very underwhelmed by the whole experience. I actually preferred the gen8 version because now I get everything in more detail. I don't know if it's the art style but something feels very cheap for a gen9 game. I hear a lot that this is due to support for gen8 but I can't see how that would be the case as you get better experiences with other games on gen8 than you get with the gen9 version of TSW2.

I was wondering, does Train Sim World have to be this "realistically" looking because it's there where it feels so cheap in graphics. When you wanna make everything look as realistically possible you have to go that extra mile in every department these days. TSW2 looks very toonish for a simulator. The AI passengers don't look realistic but the train does. The environment is more realistic than the passengers but less realistic than the trains. I think TSW would benefit if it were more toonish overall than a realistic train simulator. Make the whole graphics thing come together. Make the graphics give the game it's own identity.

Make TSW 3 more arcade and upgrade Train Simulator to version 2 and try the realistic stuff over again from scratch with TS2.

Just my 2 cents on Train Sim World 3 an Train Simulator 2

40. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

I don't know why people want an annual summer release. Just look at the chaos Rush hour caused, in the end the three routes released individually as if they were stand alone releases. I also don't want to have to pay £8 (or whatever it is for TS), like a subscription fee just to have the latest version of the game. I don't want a yearly summer release of three routes alongside a game update either if it causes huge backlogs of bugs and breaks existing content that isn't fully resolved.
    I hope we are at least 6+ years off a completely new game. Let TSW2 have a lifespan.

• Like Like x 2
  41. antwerpcentral

I don't want a yearly release. I'm talking about 2025 or even later

42. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

Where did you get this impression? Just yesterday I got a patch for a route I bought a year ago, for free. There was a free core update not long ago. Why do people think TSC has a subscription fee?

43. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

Even if it did, DTG again wouldn't manage to include a comprehensive MP and roles. I think that's one of the reasons why there won't be a TSW3. Because these are the most wanted topics in any survey.

That's probably why there's no semi-annual survey this year either, because in the end you don't want to listen to the community anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  44. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The trains are made in granular fashion by dedicated artists who work with the engineering team to make things work in sync with the graphics, sound etc (DTG only, 3rd party do their own thing (RIVET!!!))
    The station buildings and some assets are made by hand by dedicated artists who go into the level of detail they have time for
    The remainder of the route is often cut and paste or dropped assets (DTG made or UE general), some of them Auto generated
    Passengers are generated by the core software, rather than DLC specific, based on things like ambient temperature, month of the year etc

So it's not surprising that trains look better than scenery which looks better than passengers
    The level of development detail on each is different, but that then leads to a question. Do you want DTG focussing as much energy into passengers as they do trains?

45. antwerpcentral

It depends on what the vision is. If the game was situated only in the cockpit, no walking around, the need to have better looking passengers wouldn't be there, so more detail could be spent on how they behave. :)

If TSW3 would be the same basics as TSW2 I would say yes, if you let me walk up to a passenger that passenger better looks as convincing as the train it's taking.

The vision was too big from the start I guess. Problems that are now arising would probably be more easy to fix if you where not being able to go by foot. The problem with memory for example where every AI train has to be from the same level of detail as the player's train.

46. ARuscoe

This has always been the case, and to be fair I would imagine people would have more of a problem in having to have two or three levels of the same asset on their system just for "in player use", "not in player use but AI", "distant"... Don't forget that each TYPE of train adds to memory use, and each train in motion within a certain range adds to CPU use and this would still apply to the AI trains unless we really wanted them to be robotic

47. antwerpcentral

We are talking video games. We are talking about making illusions. What you see on screen is just bunch of pixels. It's the arrangement of those pixels that makes us say "wow" or "meh".

Every seat on a train adds to the memory. Why would a passing AI train need seats? The reason is that as a player you will be able to walk to train and see it in full detail. If you would not be able to walk you would only need headrests on AI trains and wou save a ton of memory. Because every AI train is filled with seats. There would be so much you could remove from AI trains that every AI train becomes lighter on memory.

I think most train fans wouldn't really care if they were not be able to walk around in the game if this would benefit the train part of the game in significant ways.

• Like Like x 1
  48. ARuscoe

People complain that trains sat in depots have passengers on them... people "care" about loads of things so you can be very much sure if you couldn't walk around people would still want to use free cam to fly over to the other trains and see what's going on inside

49. antwerpcentral

I don't know what depot you mean but the free cam distance would be very much restricted to just be able to view the train you are driving from every angle. Limit the players freedom to ensure a better experience. If a player needs to visit the depot it will load a scenario where there are detailed trains available at a depot but you will get a load screen to move to the map with less detailed AI trains. How many times does a player visit the depot? I do it only when the scenario requires it.

I don't know how others play TSW2, I'm just talking about my experience. I have always found it weird and still think it's weird there is the option to walk around and finding collectables. That you could go check out the asset that looked very realistic from afar but but doesn't look all that realistic from up close.

• Like Like x 1
  50. ARuscoe

It's been a long complained about thing that when you run empty to depot you often still have passengers on board

This would completely remove the ability to fly forward to set up decent screenshots. Given there's no "live pause" ie you can't stop time, run ahead and still see the train (it goes to the pause menu screen instead) this would REALLY annoy people

Just about every timetable has ECS runs to depot, or should I say the UK ones do. GWE and BML have loads of them.

That's part of the suspension of disbelief. And to be fair I don't know that many other games where the graphics quality needs to be great from 1 mile or 1 inch

• Like Like x 1