Can We Get A Bnsf Route?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by armyalbert22, Apr 14, 2022.

1. armyalbert22

armyalbert22 New Member

How about a BNSF route next? Does Dovetail have a license for a BNSF route

• Like Like x 1
  2. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

They only got clearance for BNSF outside the US recently - things may be in the works but it'll likely be a bit longer before anything is announced.

3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Something like the Spokane to Sandpoint Funnel would be good (before the double tracking and maybe in BN green days), or anything in the Pacific NW, really.

4. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Cajon Pass is a must i think to initially represent BNSF on TSW2. They already got the basic locos for it and i'm quite sure to make it a BNSF locos is not that hard (They could make a Dash 9-44CW out of an AC4400CW or a Dash 8-40CW, an ES44DC/ES44C4 out of recently released HSC ES44AC, or an SD70ACe-P4 out of the currently existing SMH SD70ACe).

5. notch 8 nate

notch 8 nate New Member

No more mountain stuff, how about Winslow to Needles on the Seligman sub. I wanna hit 70, no more 35 ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Seligman to Needles is in Run 8 and is actually quite heavily graded in places. Sadly the scenery is a bit bland, desert and a few hills though better than their Bakersfield Sub up to Fresno which is flat as the proverbial pancake!

7. notch 8 nate

notch 8 nate New Member

It’s a nice easy run though, turn on the TO throw it in 8 and you’re done. Especially if you’re in a Z and getting all the clear blocks.

8. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

The Scenic Sub Division route along with Maria Pass and the Cajon Pass LA to San Bernadino would be nice additions. All in good time and no rush.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

At this point, there's no denying that Cajon Pass might be the first route for BNSF on TSW2 (as a guesstimation for now).
    It's the right length between Barstow and San Bernardino (unlike other BNSF routes for time constraint), little scenery to make for a Californian desert mountain route (minus some city and industrial areas), and I would not be surprised if it's another modern era (with track 3 included) with more GEVOs or ACes for mainline haul, with also GP38s or SD40s for industrial/yard work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Cajon Pass, with BNSF, with subbing of UP traffic from Sherman Hill, is the best outcome IMO for a BNSF route.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

I know this isn't realistic since DTG doesn't have a Metra license, but I think the Racetrack would be a phenomenal route to introduce BNSF on, as well as Metra. There are up to 50 BNSF trains running along the route daily, and Cicero Yard is one of BNSF's main Intermodal hubs in Chicago. Then you got Metra for people like me who love doing US passenger stuff, getting a good variety in services, and up to 90 Metra trains. I think the route has something for every American railfan which is why I think it would make for a really good addition.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

While that's true, it's not exactly something that's only true of Cajon, types like the ES44DC and Dash 9 are everywhere on the BNSF, no reason they'd need to appear on Cajon in particular.
    We formally know nothing about what the first BNSF route could, so we have nothing which either suggests or goes against it. If I had to guess though honestly be inclined to think Cajon's kind of unlikely. It's a tad on the long side to really be doable in TSW2. A third party (the team who went on to make Run 8 I believe) were I think the main ones behind it. And even if DTG do still have the research done for it frankly that research is outdated, and probably not enough for modern route building standards.

I think if anything Tehachapi Pass is a far more likely pick, scenery and length seems slightly more manageable, and pretty much the same stock runs along it. Furthermore DTG actually had a survey where one of the questions was asking what routes people would be interested for TSW, and it was one of the choices on that list.

Here's a link to a thread about it: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...the-november-survey-discussion-i-guess.15376/

Also DTG did make it fairly recently for TS Classic, so they clearly already have a lot of research on the route already. I realize it's not the pick most seem to be interested in around here, but looking at facts I think it's a likely choice.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  13. Challenger3985

So you're saying that it's impossible because of the route length and the research is just unrealistic to be modern then. Riiight. (sarcastically speaking)
    (just to remind you that Sherman Hill already have Track 3 already laid out, without scenery. And would've been the longest route made for TSW2 if it wasn't for time constraint)

Well then here's this for Tehachapi Pass, I rather see this route being more of a historic than just being another US modern route, honestly (I will quit if there's another US modern made at this point). Where the classics of diesels of SP and Santa Fe can really be a challenging drive through the desert mountains. Or more to the 90s where the Dash 8s, Dash 9s, the SD60s, and the SD70s (both SD70M and SD70MAC) would be more preferred, unlike the GEVOs and ACes. I don't care how much new reference materials is gonna be for this, but at least if you want to make this route done right, it'll have to be a lot more unique than any other routes that's been made in TSW so far, or what's already been done from TSC (it's better to see something different than just another copy and paste route from TSC).

14. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I honestly don't fully get what you're saying here with "the research is just unrealistic to be modern then." Did you interpret "research is outdated, and probably not enough for modern route building standards." to be about the time period? I can see why with my comment about it being outdated, but that's not what I was getting at, I was pointing out that early TS Classic routes very clearly aren't made to the same standards routes modern TS Classic or TSW routes are.

The main things that come to mind are that track gradients are very abrupt, and scenery accuracy and density's lacking. Yes, they could do Cajon for TSW, but I highly doubt the research from all the way back in 2007 would be enough to do it, even if we assumed they stuck to the same mid-2000's era as the original. They'd need to do more research on gradients for sure, and they'd likely need better reference material to remake the assets and the route to TSW standard.

15. Challenger3985

Guaranteed, I was half wake when typing that post, so indeed half of that does not make sense to me as well.
    But this was the point, Cajon Pass on TSC is indeed outdated to be considered modern nowadays, and that recreation alone ain't gonna work anymore. But, guess it does depend on how much time on researching a route would actually take (SoS for example), compare to how much time it will take to actually make it.
    And as for scenery, I mean seriously, what difference would it make between Cajon pass and Tehachapi Pass, they're both basically sitting near the same Mojave Desert no matter what angle you look at it from. There are indeed two different gradients, for sure, not that really matter that much if it's just a 100 car train being pulled by either the GEVOs and ACes with helpers anyways. But might get the same results like Sherman Hill or Horseshoe Curve for service runs when you think about it.

16. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

LOL, ok, your post makes a bit more sense now, I can think of a few times where similar things have happened when I was half asleep, so can't blame you too much for that.
    Outside of being shorter Tehachapi is considerably more rural and less varied from what I remember. Cajon has a tad more to it, which means there's more landmarks that would need to be presented correctly, and thus more development time. Those factors alongside length I do think make a larger difference than what you're suggesting.

Also one thing to clarify, I see you making remarks about Tehachapi not being a exciting choice, which I actually agree with. My posts about it aren't really suggesting it, if I were to suggest something based purely on what I wanted I'd agree with your earlier suggestion about setting it in the ATSF/SP era. I'd actually probably go a step further and set it in the steam era, as that time period has far more interest to me. I just don't think it's likely based on what DTG have done in the past, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

17. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I would love Cajon Pass and/or Seligman Sub (or part of it; the whole route is over 300 miles). Tehachapi Pass is a good choice. What about Raton Pass, Stevens Pass, and part of Marias Pass. The Amtrak Cascades route with a BNSF loco or two would also be fantastic. I still want the BNSF section of the Pacific Surfliner.

BNSF locos I want:
    -ET44C4
    -ES44AC/DC/C4
    -C44-9W/AC44C4M rebuild
    -AC4400CW
    -SD70MAC
    -SD75M/I
    -SD40-2
    -GP38-2/GP39-2
    -SD45-2/SD32ECO rebuild
    -B40-8W
    -C40-8/C40-8W/C41-8W
    -SD60M
    -Genset Switcher
    -GP50
    -GP60/GP60M/GP60B
    -SD70ACe/SD70ACeP4
    -SD70ACeP4-T4

-Other locos for routes:
    -Amtrak P42DC Genesis
    -Amtrak ALC-42 or SC-44 Charger (in Coaster, Cascades, and Pacific Surfliner liveries)
    -Amtrak P32-8BWH

18. Challenger3985

Ok, point taken for the landmarks, that does indeed be taken into consideration when researching a route. No arguments there.

Thought I would say, steam would indeed be a lovely period for this route. A good sight of Cab Forwards and Northerns rolling by would really make my day. But since this is DTG, as you said, it would be a long shot to make it happen for sure (but not impossible, if lucky, or if someone else does it in their spare time).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1