Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kenobi#1878, Apr 17, 2022.

1. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

I’m currently Saving up for a laptop and I was wondering, do i go for a RTX 3050 or a GTX 1650?
    I understand that the 3050 is better but I am in education and have limited funds. I believe on the laptops the CPUs are very similar if not the same i5 model. Thanks in advance

2. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Comparing just those two GPUs, the 3050 is significantly faster. It's also significantly newer and thus will likely have much longer driver support.
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3050-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1650/4127vs4039

However, while the RTX 3050 is better than AMD's corresponding stopgap release, the horribly reviewed RX 6500XT, it's still not great value, and GPU prices in general are gradually going down. If you're still in the process of saving up, my suggestion would be to keep saving until you have what you want to spend, then see what the best thing is that you can get for that amount at that moment.

3. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

• Like Like x 1
  4. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. kenobi#1878

Thanks, will spend the extra cash on the better laptop.

6. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Given that TS 2022 (to be TS Classic) is a DirectX 9 game, I seriously doubt there will be much of a difference in quality between those two cards if all you play is TS. The RTX is more futureproof of course.

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

3050. The 1650 is an old GPU now, and poor value for money, even though it is significantly cheaper.

8. Pookeyhead

Completely incorrect. The difference will be pretty significant.

9. kenobi#1878

Yeah, I play more than just TS so I’ll definitely be buying a laptop with a 3050, maybe even a 3050ti if I can find a decent laptop.

10. trev123

trev123 Active Member

DTG doesn't support Laptops so if you have an issue and contact DTG support they might not help you.

• Laptop, Notebook, Mobile, or Low Power versions of the above specifications (including Intel or Integrated Graphics) may work but are not supported. Updates to Chipset, Graphics, and Audio Device Drivers may be required. For information relating to recommended specifications for Train Simulator 64-bit, please refer to the Train Simulator 2022 User Guide.

11. Pookeyhead

Gaming on a laptop... I can think of nothing more depressing anyway.

12. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

You know that Gaming Laptops are a thing, right, and have been so for more than 10 years?

• Like Like x 1
  13. kenobi#1878

I’ll live. I’ve had no issues on my Normal laptop and doubt I’ll have issues on a gaming one.
    Anyway I’m sure people here will be able to help

14. Pookeyhead

Yeah... they're awful. You do know that a "gaming" laptop is just a fast laptop, right?

15. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

You do know that a gaming PC is just a fast PC, right?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pookeyhead

With a decent screen, keyboard and mouse, and parts that on a like for like basis, are faster. A mobile RTX3080 is considerably slower than it's desktop equivalent for example. Same for CPUs. But even a large laptop still has a depressingly tiny screen, numb, flat keyboards, and all trackpads are useless compared to a decent mouse. I know you can plug all those things into a laptop, but then it's not really a laptop any longer... you may as well use a desktop. Gaming laptops are usually ridiculously expensive for what you get as well. I just don't get laptops used as a home computer. If you need to take a computer around with you, fine, but as a home machine I just don't get it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  17. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

You can easily plug an external monitor, keyboard and mouse into the vast majority of laptops

18. orb

orb Well-Known Member

By looking at what's advertised as "gaming PC" in stores here, they aren't necessarily fast. Here, some cheap pre-built PCs with relatively slow CPUs, but just having a little faster graphics card around the middle range, and the most having their computer cases shining like a Christmas tree are sold as "gaming PCs". Computers advertised as "workstations" on the other hand have faster CPUs and bigger memory installed, but in the cheaper range a very slow graphics card. You can of course find those with high end graphics cards, too, but their price would be some 3 times higher as well. You can of course replace the graphics card later, as it isn't a laptop where you need to stay with the same graphics card until the end of its life.

19. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Hi Kenobi#1878
    I was in a similar position, and couldn't decide if a laptop was right for me.
    Looking on www.box.co.uk - they have some pretty good discounts for gaming laptops with GTX1650 spec.(up to £250.00!)
    The question to ask is.... why?

I ended up going the PC route instead, from Aldi of all places.
    Currently, Aldi have a few gaming PC's in there special buys sections with pretty good graphics cards.
    Normally. they will also come down slightly in price after a few weeks depending on the volume they shift.

My Aldi gaming PC is just over 18 months old (paid £750 from memory), and can easily handle anything TS has to through at it, and looks great on the 4k TV.
    I also play racing and flight Simulator using VR and the PC performs great.

Just one additional thing to perhaps consider, is that while a gaming laptop might get you up and running - will it also be able to cope with what you want to do in a years time? (possibly money wasted if you cannot run the newer games).

Good luck with your search .. would be interested to see what you decide to and how you get on!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  20. trev123

trev123 Active Member

21. kenobi#1878

I’m quite a Mobile person and having a laptop is a must (I am In London some weeks, then Oxford, then Exeter.) I also don’t have the money to get a decent monitor. (My 4K has a skybox, Xbox and PlayStation plugged in at least and I’m not the only one who games so can’t unplug anything)