Is It Worth Reporting Faults?

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by 749006, Sep 3, 2018.

1. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It might sound daft but I have reported a number of faults in the past and they are generally ignored. Routes are released with errors or missing functionality and you report it but nothing happens.
    Locos or stock have problems and again you report it but nothing is done.

An example.
    DTG released the Class 73 Gatwick Express in 2016 but there is a big fault - accidentally go too far with the power handle and the loco trips out, ok understand that, but it also gives an Emergency Brake Application.
    It was reported to DTG but nothing done.

In 2017 MKS released the Class 460 EMU which was the train that replaced the Class 73's and stock. Included in the pack was a Class 73 and this had modified controls which stopped the Emergency Brake Application if you overloaded the loco.

Why could DTG have not done this mod themselves?
    Why do we bother reporting things only for them to be ignored?

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

I’ve been asking myself that too. I once contacted dtg to ask if it was worth it and the answer back was yes. But when i submitted the first bug report i never heard back.

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

DTG have said themselves that they often put stuff out and then move on rather than fixing things, mainly due to these repairs not making them any money (and they are a company after all, ie an outfit designed to employ people and make revenue)
    So yes, it may well be frustrating to report and not see retrospective action, but then again in this case they enacted a repair forward with the next such issue, so that could be seen as progress, even if not in the direction you wished

4. Kim Olesen

The thing is that when it is a bug central to the gameplay it should be fixed. I am specifically talking about wrongly laid magnets that trigger emergency braking when they shouldn’t. How on earth am a player supposed to play a route if such things is malfunctioning?

Secondly, some DTG routes have sections where the connections between the signals are so poor that the signalling is so bad that making scenarios for that section is impossible. And since TS and DTG benefit highly from all the people who are creating free content like scenarios, it would be timely for them to correct such errors.

5. ARuscoe

I understand your concerns, as I'm sure they do too.

6. Kim Olesen

Actually it would be very nice if DTG replied to this thread.

7. ARuscoe

Of course it would LOL

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Interesting to note the attitude of DTG to other suppliers.
    If Armstrong Powerhouse, Just Trains, ChrisTrains, Virtual Railroads or one of the others are notified about a fault they Fix It and release a patch.
    It's called Good Customer Service

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  9. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Yes report the faults that you come across, DTG will do take them and deal with them as they can.

10. Wolf

Wolf Member

They are a good deal quicker than DTG, but you know if you don't report them, they don't get fixed.

A bit of prodding every now and then helps as well, as well as talking with the rest of us about the issue.

11. eri

eri Member

Dtg still has not fixed the rsc Challenger boxcar....it is not even completed

12. goes2jack

goes2jack New Member

It seems that DTG doesn't use BETA testers. They would probably catch most of the errors. It's the little things that make me mad. For example, cruising down at 125mph, the suddenly and without warning, the speed is 20mph, and you're being moved onto another track. Certainly, a BETA tester would catch that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RefLex

RefLex New Member

You're absolutely right, goes2jack! If they'd had the guts to let a few accomplished players test their content first it would save a lot people from frustration. And it wouldn't cost them a penny!

If what ARuscoe says is true, then that's a violation of (still European) customer protection laws! I also pointed this out to the helpdesk when I complained about the (QD) unplayable Mannheim–Karlsruhe route, and guess what? I immediately was offered a free route for compensation.
    And of course there's a refund policy now, which we definitely shouldn't hasitate to use if we're not satisfied.
    As a person who almost automatically bought everything that was published I now wait till there are enough (positive) ratings available. If not, no deal!
    If DTG is only interested in profits we simply have to hit them where it hurts. If they find out that their sales figueres start dropping because their customers are fed up with fawlty content, they'll probably rethink their 'just throw it on the market'-policy!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Koplopermau

Koplopermau Member

Thanks to your important feedback... That sentence is now a meme in the Dutch community. Even the game breaking route editor bug was acknowledged, but after about one month nothing had been fixed yet or any update was given.

The LGV route was a great example. No AI traffic in any scenario, so they missed the fact that AI drove with phantographs down. The TGV still had a bug with the brakes. Stuck red signal. They still lack the information to the player that you had to switch voltages at the high speed line border. It's something I noticed in my first drive! I mean, come on!

It'll probably go on a longlist of bugs somewhere, but if they ever fix it is the question. I think support in this line of work is exceptionally bad from DTG, and this goes for TSW as well, even though they seem to fix more stuff there if you notify them.

That brings me to the price/quality figure. The sole fact I didn't buy any TSW content is that I think it is absolutely not worth the price you pay. Ruhr Sieg is a bad rip-off of the original route that was in TS. It's less than half the length, it has less of half the trains, it's poorly worked off and several lightning effects are just plainly wrong. I've told this many times, but all I get is that it's amazing, that I should stop whining, and that DTG can't help it because it's Unreal Engine that's going bonkers.

Some people in this community hail DTG as if they're holy. For quality content, please look elsewhere, like ChrisTrains, Virtual Railroads and Thompson Interactive with their Swiss add-ons, to name a few. DTG makes some fun stuff every now and then, but the majority of Train Sim and Train Sim World are coming from Germany, USA and the UK, countries that I've seen enough now. Give me something DIFFERENT.

• Like Like x 1