Tehachapi Weird Colours After Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by torfmeister, Apr 23, 2022.

1. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Nothing against the red tone on a dusty morning. But those deep blue mountains?
    It looked much better before the patch. (Have to edit the colours in the Season files again... great)

I've been noticing that before in Strasbourg-Karlsruhe. Someone at DTG should probably calibrate their monitors? This is annyoing, because you've improved on the route but ruined the Season colouring. Or is this to depict the infamous Bakersfield smog?

So for this route to look better you must either use AP weather or edit all scenarios to use SilverLining 3D weather / Dynamic Clouds.

Is this maybe a deliberate thing that's typical for newer DTG routes to push sales for partner Armstrong Powerhouse?

I doubt to get an answer but I'd be really interested in a statement from DTG as to why they were choosing those weird colours.

If anybody has a backup of the original Tehachapi Assets, can you provide the original Season files (TimeOfDay folder) and upload them here?

Your thoughts?
    (Hot Box Part 1, default settings - Scenario uses "2. Cloudy" weather [Kuju\RailSimulatorCore\Weather\RW_Cloudy])

2022-04-23 14_10_16-Train Simulator (x64).png

2022-04-23 14_52_43-Train Simulator (x64).png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2022
  2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I've now edited the palette. I think this is more of a spring morning. Same scenario and weather.

55.png
    66.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. TrainsAreBest

TrainsAreBest Active Member

How do you edit the palette please?

4. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Keep taking the acid, maaaaaaaan. :D

6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

The files that hold the sky colours for different daytime and seasons are:

Assets\DTG\Tehachapi\TimeOfDay\Sherman_Autumn.bin, Sherman_Spring.bin, Sherman_Summer.bin, Sherman_Winter.bin

Use TSTools to edit or Serz.exe to uncompile and edit with Notepad++.

7. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Stop taking acid DTG :D:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. trev123

trev123 Active Member

I don't think that there is anything wrong. Orange clouds as the sun just rises and a blue haze on the mountains is pretty realistic to me.

9. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Blue and orange are complementary colours - that's what's hurting my eyes.

Too me it's unrealistic, as the sky colour should make the haze appear in a less blueish tone in reality - as it is diffuse reflection from the sky that colours them before the sun is high. And the blue is almost 0-0-255 RGB, to me it looks unrealistic and as if composed of separate images and I've changed it to use the balanced Sherman Hill skies that were used before the update.

So it's personal preference in the end, but surely not the fact that the new "brake fix" disabled the Release function on the ES44's. I've permanently banned them replacing them with HiLine's and Sherman Hill's ES44s. I hope workshop scenarios will do so too.

Another comparison

New colouring - this one's quite ok, appears brighter than before (1. Clear)
    tehanew.png
    Old
    tehaold.png
    New - again the blue does not match the overall tone (2. Cloudy)
    tehanew2.png
    Old
    tehaold2.png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2022