Door "unlocking"

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by benshikari, Apr 23, 2022.

1. benshikari

benshikari New Member

Prefacing this with a 'this may well be a thing I don't know how to do'.

But I'd like to see the option to 'unlock' doors without releasing them. Along many of the DLC routes already available, the doors don't actually fully release or open by guard/driver IRL. The doors simply unlock, and the passengers manually open the door when disembarking or boarding the train at the door they're closest to. Instead, all the doors in the game tend to operate how the London Underground does IRL - that being the driver releases all doors and closes all doors without any manual operation by passengers.

I'm assuming the reason this isn't a feature already, is probably because passenger AI would require a heck of a lot of re-work to make them open specific doors and close them again, and even more detail would be required to make the "last passenger" close the door, and any new passengers potentially re-open them etc.

Still, I think it'd be a really nice feature to have!

• Like Like x 12
  2. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

It be nice but I’m sure your aware of the saying in the YouTube videos Bingo cards at the ready if it’s not on the roadmap then it’s no go at present time

3. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

As much as this feature would portray real instance correctly i foresee way too many issues that would make it not worth the hassle

Firstly is the amount of memory it would take to give the passengers free roam to do this

Secondly is the trains In the game don’t pull off until the doors close and any left open such as with a class 101 would be a chore to keep closing manually

• Like Like x 2
  4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

You do realize that it was simply a suggestion. Of course it's not gonna be on the roadmap.

• Like Like x 3
  5. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Also its not an huge feature either

6. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

This is one missing feature that I think would increase the immersion so much! I already suggested the same thing here and I hope that they will add it soon...

• Like Like x 2
  7. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This is a step towards SDO. For Lirr & Metro-North the Train Driver has control for the first 3-6 carriages of M3/M7 last 3-6 carriages M3/M7 only the guard has the door control. Class 377 needs SDO and a functioning door switch. For the 8 carriage version on ECW you end up opening the whole train instead of the correct 4 carriages

• Like Like x 2
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

DTG can't even programme the game to stop doors opening which are off the platform, so I doubt they would be up to the challenge of this suggestion desirable though it is.

9. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Ironically enough, real life starts imitating TSW. On my home route here in Germany, doors used to be released (and opened by passengers) as is standard. Ever since the pandemic though, all doors are usually opened by the driver.

10. benshikari

benshikari New Member

Ironically, it was the LIRR route which actually spurred me into thinking about this in the first place. I was so confused what the whole Foreward/Rearward doors was and then worked out it's SDO (but obviously with guard). In the UK, some of our stock does operate SDO but it varies by line, TOC and stock so wildly it'd be a nightmare to implement I would imagine.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bdlhouston#8691

bdlhouston#8691 Well-Known Member

Something that could be interesting, sometimes when a service stops at a station where nobody gets on or off, the doors don't open, it could add a bit more realisim

• Like Like x 1
  12. RC14Hz

RC14Hz New Member

Neither can "they" in real life either. Working as intended.

13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Uh? On slam door stock you would have to be an idiot to open the door and step down into a 4ft void. On power operated door stock, depending how equipped, the Guard would either use selective door release, release only one door or in the case of early second generation DMU or EMU stock that would be overlength, the appropriate number of units or cars would be locked out of passenger use. In the case of a train stopping short or overrunning a station platform, the first action is that the doors wouldn’t be released when under control of the traincrew. The driver would then either draw forward or contact the signalman for permission to set back. In the case of slam door stock without CDL, well things are a bit fuzzier. Chances are people would open the doors at the platform and start to board/alight, relying on common sense for those in the portion off the platform to walk through the train and alight on the platform.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RC14Hz

RC14Hz New Member

Yeah, because we have that in the game. No, we are running a single crew operation here [REMOVED - Alex - Offensive Language]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2022