Tsw2 London Commuter Xbox Series S

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by sophieclarke1983, Apr 24, 2022.

1. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

I thought that the bugs been fixed on London commuter on service from Reigate to London Victoria and boom just before Victoria that frustrating out of memory Error still when will this be fixed?

• Like Like x 1
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Are you on 8th generation Xbox One or 9th generation Xbox Series X/S? So far I haven't encountered this problem on Series X

3. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

The route crashes once the layers have been activated. That said though, that, I managed to do a depot move from Selhurst depot to the sidings in Brighton. In the 313! Also managed to do a run from East Croydon down to Redhill station with the 375 there and back with no problems. Coming into London Victoria is another story with a lot of crashing with all layers active. On series S.

4. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

Dont run in 4k ( series s )

5. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

This does seem to be the best advice.

Really at this point I still think DTG need to consider implementing a 1440p mode instead of the 4k mode. It is after all the nominal resolution "target" of the Series S, and if we all need to play in 1080p all the time to avoid crashing, then there's little point to the existing 4k mode.

6. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

I should be a little more specific, apolegies.

I find running 4k ( on the rush hour routes only ) an absolute disaster, because of how beefy they are, although I dont have a 4k tv, I have ran in 4k while streaming non rush hour routes,, ie, WCL, LZN, and have no OOM pop ups, even running back to back services, but on BML, running 4k almost kills my experience playing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Interesting you say that.

Just had a discussion on the MSFS forums where the consensus seemed to be that this shouldn't make that much of a difference as the Series S always renders at 1440p and then if necessary upscales to 4k, while the Series X always renders at 4k 1440p and then downscales upscales it in case it's needed, this was the answer as to why running MSFS at 1440p on Series X doesn't/wouldn't help with crashes and performance.

Is MSFS special the way the console run it, or is TSW the odd one? Or is upscaling from the Series S responsible for this (appartely) huge performance gap? And more importantly, why didn't I just get a PC? :mad:

Just realised it's probably dependent on the game itself rather than the console...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  8. sophieclarke1983

Many thanks for your reply It’s the series S at time consoles came out x had sold out only S was available odd part is this doesn’t occur with the actual bml/GX services now like used to happen it’s only the London/Reigate/London services frustrating part is your practically in Victoria when crash happens n game force closes

9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Next Generation console then. I do have a. feeling it has to do with Low Memory Ram.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LeXXuz

LeXXuz Member

Did about 40 services on London Commuter by now. Never had any issues. Running on Series S with 4k internal rendering.

11. david5150

david5150 Well-Known Member

I play on Xbox one S. I pause and save at regular intervals then if it crashes I go back to the last saved point. Not ideal but it does enable me to complete a run.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

4K or HD doesn't matter! No matter what my display setting are the game goes out of memory and boots me to dashboard at Battersea! Everything without fail as I'm heading into London Vic. So much that I've given up running those services and only run out towards Brighton if I can be bothered running the route at all.

• Like Like x 3
  13. sophieclarke1983

Oh right thanks it just seems bizarre how doesn’t effect the London commuter services which are actually longer the Brighton to Victoria/Victoria to Gatwick also other longer routes I have such as SEHS London to faversham work fine as well lol the memory thing strange as also have the Seagate expansion card which was specifically develop for new Xbox S/X architecture and this also has plenty space on it

• Like Like x 1
  14. Princess Entrapta

It's a matter of how much is loaded into memory at a given time, a long route will only ever have so much it is rendering in a given moment. The heaviest loads are always in the big, detailed terminus locations at times of day when the largest variety of services are present, with the game rendering the visuals for them and performing physics calculations for them all, etc..

• Like Like x 1
  15. Princess Entrapta

So when it comes to using the Series X/S SSD as virtual RAM, this is something a game needs implemented on a case by case basis, but fundamentally it's not something that can be used as a 1:1 replacement for the GDDR6 memory games need, it's used for things like improving caching of stuff for faster loading to eliminate things like texture pop-in. What it won't do is prevent you from running out of memory when trying to load the stuff which is dependent upon the dedicated physical memory.

To see this in action, try removing the ram sticks from your PC and running a modern game (Doom 2016, say, not something like Doom 1993) off the windows pagefile.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  16. sophieclarke1983

Unfortunately I don’t have pc only series s Xbox

17. Princess Entrapta

Amusingly though, it does work the other way around, and it was highly entertaining the first time someone partitioned the memory on their RTX 3090 as a drive and installed Crysis to it.

18. zofo#7936

zofo#7936 New Member

I get the same problem keeps crashing on entering Victoria Station area, I use xbox s

19. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

When I first started playing this route, on Series S, I ran into these same problems. That's when I learned that you can't have very many routes downloaded to your Series S, or else London Commuter will crash. So I limited the amount of routes that I had downloaded, and it worked.

However, when the Creators Club came out, I downloaded a bunch of liveries, and got the errors on London Commuter again. So, my best advice is to limit both the number of routes AND the number of liveries you have, for all routes, if you want London Commuter to work on Series S. And be sure to run in HD, not 4K, no matter what route you're playing.

20. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

If you remove a route do you lose progression on it? Just wondering as I do want to be able to play BML but not at the expense of my other routes.

21. NateDogg7a

You should not lose your progression. The only difference you should see will be a decrease in your overall medal count, and even this would return at whatever point you download the route again. However, although I've done this several times with no adverse effects, TSW2 can be inconsistent at times, so I cannot personally guarantee that everything will be fine.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

This route is poorly optimized on Xbox Series S and last gen consoles. It's baffling that it happens on series s since it's a next gen console. Sure it's less powerful than the series x but it's still a pretty good machine nonetheless. Shame that dtg pretty much released an unplayable route

• Like Like x 1
  23. NateDogg7a

Yes, it is a shame that, even now, people are still having problems with the route crashing. I feel like every so often there is a new wave of players and they experience the same issues all over again. I wonder how many don't find their way here and just give up. Or, find their way here, and then give up anyways!

The funny part is that LBN is still my favorite route. However, it's also disappointing at the same time because I know that, as long as I play on Series S, it will probably never get better. My main hope is that they eventually give us rush hour passenger volumes, although there are so many other problems with passengers that I'm not sure it would make much of a difference.

• Like Like x 2
  24. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I think adding rush hour passengers to London-Brighton would just make it worse hence why DTG haven't added it even though that was a major selling point of the route effectively since it is a rush hour route

• Like Like x 2
  25. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

This being the problem with trying to create a totally uniform experience in past for each platform. Sliders for things need to incorporated. I personally (I’m lucky I guess) have had no issues with crashing or major stuttering on rush hour , run with a lot of mods and would be disappointed if passengers weren’t there. I do appreciate there are significant issues with other platforms though

• Like Like x 3
  26. Princess Entrapta

I have always appreciated the console ports of a handful of PC games that went the extra mile and included a whole bunch of sliders to give the player more granular control over graphics settings. It has actually worked super well on a few games which launched on XBox One and One X, where originally you had the option to push up framerate a bit at a cost of what's personally unimportant to you graphics-wise, or sacrifice framerates for a few additional bells and whistles.

These games have translated excellently to the new hardware with it being possible to have more of these settings maxed, again, the ones you personally value.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Princess Entrapta

I am pretty sure any time I've got the train from Darlington to Middlesbrough, I have never seen so much as a single ginger afro, let alone the dozens of them on some of my TVL runs :D

• Like Like x 1
  28. tuxcatazuma

tuxcatazuma Active Member

I don’t think a console game should ever crash due to being out of resources. The game should be written to ensure it never gets to that stage, i.e. removing things from memory to prevent the crash. 6 months on and still regular crashing due to out of resources on London Brighton, Riesa Dresden and Dresden Chemnitz on Series S Same experience in both HD and 4K. It so easy to replicate in testing, so I can’t understand why this has not been given more priority. I’ve never seen this behaviour with any other console game.

• Like Like x 2
  29. bones.n.hombre

bones.n.hombre Active Member

Route crashed for me today on a series X

Gatwick - Victoria crashed before Battersea station a couple of miles out from Victoria

I will upload a video to YouTube when I get a chance as I was recording at the time.

• Like Like x 3
  30. SHELBY230586

SHELBY230586 Well-Known Member

I'm posting this here because a friend of mine on the X Box Series S also has problems with the game.
    But he is not registered here and asked me to post this for him.
    He is on the Dresden - Riesa route and regularly gets this error screen. He plays in HD mode so no 4K
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  31. bones.n.hombre

Sorry it took a couple of days to upload.

Xbox series X from a cold start, not in ‘instant on’. No other games held in quick resume. First run of the day on TSW2. Game crashes to desktop without any error message around the 23 minute mark.

32. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

It's as Matt said in the Roadmap stream, its a weird console because it has a 9th gen CPU but only an 8 gens memory.

So the Series S is basically an 8th Gen masquerading as a 9th gen.

• Like Like x 1
  33. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

What service is it? I'm keen to try and reproduce it

34. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

When doing Dresden ICE routes, as such I have not completed a single on. I get that memory bug screen as shown above, I haven't had it for a while on BML.

35. bones.n.hombre

It was 1U45 - 10:52 Gatwick Airport to London Victoria.

• Like Like x 1
  36. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I managed to complete it, I do apologise, I forgot to start recording when starting the game because I'm a total monkey, I promise I will retry it tomorrow or monday and upload a video
    Train Sim World 2.jpg
    At the start I departed and then restarted as I overspeed in a stupid way, so start, wait until departure time, drive a few houndred yards and then restarted and had this run.

Weather was wetness and rain to 0, about 10% of wind and 45% clouds, current month (may).

I'm fairly confident layers were not active, as that needs to go back to main menu and start the service again, and I didn't do that. I also didn't see any trains apart from 377s and 387s.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  37. bones.n.hombre

On a series X ?

if so I may try again, same route and let you know how it goes.

38. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yes, Series X.

As promised here is the video

Whoops just noticed the sound is slightly out of sync, I will correct it and edit this post with the new video as soon as it's uploaded.

39. bones.n.hombre

Thanks I ran the scenario again today no issues. I then ran the same task but a little later in the day, with rain and heavy cloud, also no issues, so I’m guessing it was a one off.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. Princess Entrapta

Not really, because the GDDR6 memory in the Series S has 50 times the actual data transfer rate of the DDR3 in the XBox One. All memory is not crated equal. Certainly not when it's created a decade apart.

• Like Like x 2