‘extended Period Of No First-party Releases’

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Apr 22, 2022.

1. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

The WTT is great until you run really late and back trains behind you which could then cause a jam.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I agree - to use the old cliché: no plan survive first contact with the enemy. In this case, no railway runs like clockwork, not even Germany or Switzerland and a platform alteration at a station either en route or at a terminus could be required for any number of reasons, out of course running, a points failure, broken down train etc.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

And what about those that maybe force on extended vacation, due to fact stoppage of work on DLC
    I doubt that DTG, like any other company, will keep people around doing nothing, so while the work on new DLC is stopped, the one that are not needed for the that will be done during the stoppage, what will they be doing

• Like Like x 1
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They will be kept busy, attending to fixes on current DLC, helping do QA on those fixes, and dare I say it, working on aspects of new projects such as the board games that are in early development. I doubt anyone will be laid off or sat there with nothing to do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Of course. It's not uncommon for a company to reassign employees to an area where extra staff is needed, if only temporarily. DTG will be no exception.
    This would tie in with the " extended period of no first party releases ".
    All( or most ) hands to the pump, so to speak.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  6. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

So, nothing that's in TSW...

• Like Like x 1
  7. OldVern

In theory yes but actually late running can easily occur if the player is a bit tardy or you decide to go and have a pee during a station stop. The fact is a simulator should not be a perfectly choreographed run each time. If we are talking German stuff here then Zusi 2 actually allowed the timetable compiler to specify the percentage chance of being switched to an alternate track at key nodes or a different platform, as well as rearranging the order of trains if you started to run late. That’s what a living railway is all about, not a sterile never changing experience. So if an early 2000’s era sim essentially programmed by one guy in his spare time can encompass that level of dynamic randomisation, why can’t a contemporary game with the resources of a significant software house behind it even begin to scratch the surface?

• Like Like x 14
  8. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It can't happen because it's "a niche product and that feature is triple A levels of quality that isn't doable at the prices of dlc for tsw2". This is an opposing argument I bet someone would say or something similar to be honest.

9. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I think a lot of things are technically possible in TSW but DTG won’t commit to it because of either:

a.) They don’t have the time or resources to add such features
    b.) It will add little to no financial gain vs something else
    c.) A mix of the above

• Like Like x 5
  10. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Nail on the head there, I suspect that they don't want the backlash of people's sessions ending early or being extended massively. I was most disappointed with Clinchfield after some late running that and got a Mexican standoff further on for my trouble.

Having had many years of experience
    Real life experience of ops in the day job the single most unrealistic thing is the complete rigidness of paths, platforming and lack of randomness in general. The railway simply doesn't work like TSW2 and for that matter MSTS and TS 2XXX decipt it. Timetable mode with all its positives is let down by basically being 24 hr scenario that you can jump in and out of. Zusi is the one that provides randomness but even then its with decade old graphics and 2D cabs. Could anybody play Gran tourismo or GTA and cope with having the AI do exactly the same things every time the game is fired up. Unfortunately it only seems to get a murmer from the development guys now and then and it gets lost in the noise over brake timings. Dostos and when is the full length 2022 WCML being released for 14p......

• Like Like x 5
  11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I agree with those who think that TSW could be so much better as far as randomness, weather, AI and loco density, real world background, sound and lighting, just to name a few niggles, if the developers would commit to spending the time and resources to make it so.
    Of course, I realize that would lead to higher prices and probably abandoning the notion that everyone can play the game irrespective of his/her level of hardware. Heresy it may be, but......

• Like Like x 4
  12. redrev1917

This whole sarcastic "it's a niche product blah blah" comment is getting very tedious very fast.

• Like Like x 8
  13. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

Funny thing is that I've just installed Train Simulator a couple of days ago, which was in my Steam library since 2013. Just a little comparison to see what it can offer compared to TSW. I didn't expect much, but I invested in some Armstrong Powerhouse stuff, and man, it makes such a huge difference. With RW Enhancer, the game looks very nice, comes very close to TSW. Longer routes, no dispatcher issues (so far). The only thing I miss is timetable mode. I don't look at it as an inferior product anymore, quite the opposite. It proves that TSW could be much better. It even has a guard, which rings the buzzer. I mean Dovetail Games could've learned quite a lot from TS to make TSW the best product ever. I hope this pause will change the game for the better. With SoS coming, the only option is to succeed.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I mean, I keep going back to TS and discovering why I really hate it and barely ever play it any more: The other day, TS crashed 3 or 4 times. TSW2 has crashed twice in 18 months. In that sense, TS1 can in no way be seen as the better product. Also you're having to use mods to make it better than TSW so it's not the fairest of comparisons.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Right?! I got a new laptop recently, decided to boot up TS to see how it would run, and immediately got an out of memory error...in the main menu.

Finally was able to get into a session and it just hasn't aged very well at all. I was like, oh i just need to install that lighting mod, and that sound mod, and try to find that asset pack .....then i was like, this is why i stopped playing TS five years ago and promptly uninstalled it.

Also nothing in TS touches TSW's service mode for me. Yes, the dispatcher needs major improvements, but the fact that I can go through a whole day's services (with appropriate AI traffic) without seeing a menu if i choose is a big point in TSW's favor.

• Like Like x 5
  16. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I've tried to play TS because it offers greater variety (theoratically, if you manage to sort out thousands of packs, mods and their dependencies), but I just can't get into it. I remember playing it's first versions when I was still a kid, but somehow I just can't get into that game now. TSW is absolutely the better product on most aspects (with for me personally only the variety caused by the number of 3rd parties standing out as a notable difference, though as previously mentioned, I can't actually get myself to use that due to it's complicated systems in TS), even if it doesn't use it's full potential.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Clumsy Pacer

The main reason I go into TS now is if it's because I want to drive something that's not in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

agreed, I just wish they could stop hiding behind this “it’s a different game” mask to avoid delivering longer and more engaging drives. I don’t want a 10year old game with obsolete graphics to feel like I’ve head a good drive

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, I pretty much only play it to run the GEML or Liverpool to Manchester. TSW has its faults for sure but TS doesn't quite engage me in the same way.

20. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but the lack of freedom with TSW2 keeps me away, when every consist has the same formation, and every timetable mode is mostly the same A-B run at different times, it just gets boring....

At least with TS, I have the freedom to make my own stuff, and I have more flexibility in my own scenarios.

• Like Like x 2
  21. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

You made good point. While i personally think the 24h timetable is the best improvement can happen to a train sim, (not saying tsw2 procedures are like irl, but in real services repeat in a certain frequency, and thats what it is about in this mode), i still think dtg has little to nothing improved on routes, about making people coming from ts to tsw.

Looking at things inside routes, there has been many nice improvements like pis etc.
    But when its about thinking ahead, dtg cant even manage to get all cl377 of the same version apply to all routes. They create nice timetables, but in a way an extension takes so much afterwork, that it might never gonna happen.

So yea, players are stuck in tsw with a good short part of many routes, harlem is the newest example of a really nice created route. The fact they just created only 50% makes this dlc for me the most uninteresting of all. Not because i expect the other 50% for free, but DTG doesnt extend, so im stuck with a product, reminding me every time at north white plains on dtgs halfbaked philosophy.

They need to activley ignore a market because their "unimproved" internal processes. To me it looks like they want to keep every dlc self contained, which is ok but does make tsw to a nice parallel product to ts classic, but not truely a successor yet.

The 24h timetables has heavy benefits. You can have multiple of them with all the vehicle changes in the route era.
    The way this mode works, it gives you a high variety. Next time you might gonna see a freight train on that spot, or you running late, so things happen different again.
    Tsw has its scenarios, and to be honest without the timetable mode i would not spend a minute in the franchise.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  22. OldVern

It really depends on the route and what layers you have. This may be better on the UK and German DLC, for example NTP with the heavy freight add on, TVL with the 20’s and 31’s or GWE with Diesel Legends all offer a bit of variety. For the modern routes, well most passenger trains run as multiple units or fixed formation these days anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  23. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

The routes are definitely better if you buy each on the basis of £25 for route and £50-80 for the dlc (other routes , trains ) to pad it out

24. redrev1917

When DTG first started TSW back 5 years ago, did they really think 5 years later that theyd still be support TS classic in 2022?

25. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I personally think TS Classic should be abandoned so that all creative effort can go into TSW. Imagine the possibilities.

• Like Like x 1
  26. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

What possibilities? People not used to programming in the language or using the tools used in TSW suddenly being plunged into using them?
    Your comment makes no real world sense

• Like Like x 2
  27. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

They’re not beyond training/learning/developing their skills.

• Like Like x 1
  28. ARuscoe

Not quite the same... would be like going back five years and waiting whilst everyone learns all over again

29. tallboy7648

Why abandon ts classic? That game still has a passionate group of players playing it

• Like Like x 4
  30. ARuscoe

Exactly... It's a different software on a different platform (DX rather than UE) so I don't see any reason for them to stop working on it completely

• Like Like x 2
  31. tallboy7648

Exactly. They are two different games. What's next, DTG should abandon their fishing game and their upcoming board game so they can only focus on tsw2? Sure tsw2 has alot of potential and with the help of consoles has got money pouring into their Kent offices, but that doesn't mean other games should be canned especially when the programming is different

• Like Like x 1
  32. ARuscoe

I think people's thoughts is generally "Well, both games involve trains so people should be able to dev both, right?"

• Like Like x 3
  33. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I think that would upset a lot of players. Especially hardcore players who have spent a lot on add-ons. Not only that, but I don’t think third parties would be too happy with DTG abandoning it.

Long story short, DTG aren’t going to abandon TS1 anytime soon.

TSW also has a lot to catch up on. Not only content wise but feature wise.

• Like Like x 5
  34. ARuscoe

I don't think "abandoning TSC" means removing it from people's computers so the players wouldn't be too affected, nor should DTG remove it from sale. If anything I would hope people are talking about ceasing further development of routes and assets rather than "turn it all off"

35. Disintegration7

I mean haven't they already done that?

My impression was that the change to TSC means the end of active development by DTG and that any future content would be from 3rd-party devs.

If that's correct, I'd sure hope at least some of the artists and route builders have been moved over to TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Clumsy Pacer

No. In the announcement article they put:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. Disintegration7

My mistake then. Just yet another re-branding lol.

38. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

TS20XX won't last forever it creaks under the weight of some of the dlc now and although the enhancer mod does bring it some benefits its a very old engine now. I can see DTG closing the door behind it sooner or later. With MSTS Openrails was developes so that a more stable game engine could work with the mass of content. Maybe something like that wil occur again?

• Like Like x 2
  39. Clumsy Pacer

Are things like OpenTTD, OpenRails, OpenRCT2 just fan-made open-source recreations of the respective game or is it the developer publishes the source code and a community builds on it?

40. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with you. Although it sucks that there has been a lack of content releases, I am all in for seeing the game be much more stable. And hopefully, by fixing up various issues with the game, DTG can learn how to make the game more robust to prevent these issues from occurring. In the long term, this will heavily benefit the game.

41. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

With any luck, they'll take the opportunity to reverse all of the UI changes made in Rush Hour. They are all terrible; either they are slow, broken, ugly, pointless, or all at the same time.

• Like Like x 4
  42. Clumsy Pacer

No.

I want the time each service takes to be kept in, and I'd prefer a picture-based route selection that fills the screen, not a big list shunted off to the side.

• Like Like x 4
  43. tallboy7648

Better yet. DTG should just give players options to design the U.I how they want it to be. Its a win win for everyone

• Like Like x 1
  44. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Alright then, all bar one of the changes made.

You are very much in the minority with opinions on the new route menu though.

• Like Like x 1
  45. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

To be fair I do also prefer the picture based selection of routes and knowing roughly how long a service will take is quite useful, so there are some elements that should be kept. However I do see why many people do complain about it though.

• Like Like x 1
  46. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

Would be really nice if they could give us native joystick support,

Even better a way to read the data out of the loco like we can in TSC, so we can get things like the trains GPS location and have working auto updating EBuLa's, MFA panels that mimic the ones in the cab (i.e. the speedo, traction meter, sifa/PZB lights displayed on a second monitor / android tablet... like TS-MFD does now in TSC.

Giving us access to call out data would allow things like CobraOnes joystick interface to work with TSW2... then they don't even need to make native joystick support, as his program does way way more than just map joystick inputs to the trains levers.

47. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Much as the UI could use a LOT of improvements, I wouldn't give it nearly the same priority as 1) fixing the QC/QA/beta process; 2) fixing the save routine, 3) upgrading the Dispatcher.

• Like Like x 9
  48. Disintegration7

Totally agree. I don't love the UI but there are more important priorities.

• Like Like x 3
  49. ARuscoe

Quality control doesn't affect the UI artist's time so the two can be done simultaneously
    Save routine doesn't affect the UI artist's time so the two can be done simultaneously
    Dispatcher doesn't affect the UI artist's time... you get the point

• Like Like x 2
  50. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

However, all of them then have to be run through QA testing......