Over Or Under-shooting Platform Procedure

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by benshikari, Apr 23, 2022.

1. benshikari

benshikari New Member

It happens, and that's why I'm simulating driving a train and not actually driving one... ;)

That being said, is there a 'general' procedure for overshooting platforms or stopping markers? I appreciate it's probably different between countries and even TOCs etc. But if you shoot under a platform, I assume you just rock it forward without any serious penalty. If you overshoot, I assume you can't just reverse it back (especially if you've passed a platform end signal as I assume that now reads as red).

I'd like to be able to handle in-game over/undershoots as realistically as possible but don't know what that would entail!

2. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

Protocol in UK to best of my knowledge
    Undershoot
    If guard onboard contact them and make sure doors aren’t opened. Make sure passange are clear and v slowly pull forward to the car marker.

overshoot.
    Contact signaller and control and they will very likely advise you to continue to the next station, make announcement (first check the cab door is locked and baracaded and safe from angry people)
    In very rare circumstances you might reverse such as, this may not be correct all of the time, remote stations when this train is the last of the night and the next station is more than 30/1hour away or if you have very angry customers, like on the GWR train recently (slightly different circumstances) but the passange were told reading was being missed so the pulled the emergency cord/lever again and again till the train driver/ signaler gave up.

Even if they can’t implement this much complexity with the dispatcher, if I over shoot the station, it should realise if it’s 100 yards or so, it Gives no points. Or even negative and just updated your destination to the next station.

hope this helps!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

With an overrun, as long as the following criteria is met, you may set back into the station:
    1. The overrun is less than 400 metres (0.25 miles)
    2. There are no automatic half barrier level crossings
    3. The signaller has given you permission
    An obvious point but I’ll say it anyway, you have to do the walk of shame and walk to the other end of the train. You can’t just “reverse the train.” As the distance of the wrong direction move is less than 400 metres, the frontal lighting does not need to be changed. So when you drive from the other end, you’ll have tail lights on the front not headlights.

With the London Underground, they can actually literally reverse the train if they have overrun a platform or had a SPAD. The criteria is something along the lines of,
    1. Can’t be more than a coach length
    2. Can’t be any points under the train
    3. Can’t be on network rail infrastructure (I.e. Queens Park to Harrow & Wealdstone)
    4. The signaller has given permission

• Like Like x 4
  4. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Not sure how the game handles "setting back", but in the UK, 1/4 mile was the limit, or carry on. I well remember HST's and rakes of 86 hauled stock setting back into Oxenholme, having left it too soon. "Leaves on the line" isn't really a joke....

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Followed by tea and biscuits with the Driver Manager...

• Like Like x 3
  6. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

I think these meetings are strictly no tea & biscuits.

7. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

sounding like you get a goody bag at the end containing only a P45

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

I think it depends whether or not you’re on good terms with the boss!

But this is where TSW would benefit from a more in depth career mode, to keep track of little bugstains on your record.

9. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

Could even have Sam voice act the boss, i think it suits his voice quite well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

Regarding the Reading incident, isn't there a passenger emergency cord override button? I understand why the driver eventually gave up but I'm just asking if it exists.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Olaf the Snowman

Yes, there is a passenger emergency override button/foot switch which when pressed will stop the emergency brakes from applying if an emergency egress OR passenger alarm unit has been pulled. If it isn’t pressed then after 5 seconds, an automatic brake application is made.
    On a Class 80x, If the train is travelling below 10kph or the train is within station limits then an emergency brake application is made straight away.

12. Alex_m30x#7297

There is, but I believe after a certain number of times it will activate (in a short time) for instance if there is an actual Emergancy but the person pulling is unable to communicate

• Like Like x 1
  13. Olaf the Snowman

Doesn’t sound correct to me. You can keep spamming the override button unless as I’ve stated speed is below 10kph. Whether that is practical and becomes a distraction risk for the driver is another matter though.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. benshikari

benshikari New Member

This would be a great addition for career-mode.

"Ron, you nearly SPAD'd whilst overshooting Slough on the 1541 today, what happened?"
    A. Sorry Boss, I was distracted by unwieldly passengers standing close to the platform on a rainy day, with stuck brakes.
    B. I'm not sure, I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    C. Where is Slough?

15. OldVern

No names, no pack drill but when I worked for W&W/ATW as a Control Duty Manager, we had an incident one evening where a Birmingham to Cardiff Alphaline service booked via Camp Hill was wrongly routed towards Landor Street. Driver eventually came to a stand near Water Orton... An interesting one to sort out!

• Like Like x 1
  16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

[removed by Protagonist - not appropriate for this forum, even though meant in a light-hearted fashion]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2022
  17. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Yeah you are probably right :D but I would maybe re-think the posting of that video.

18. benshikari

benshikari New Member

Well I certainly didn't mean to take away from the seriousness of that. I was actually poking fun at "video game logic" and how such a topic would be implemented (poorly) into a 'career' mode (fictional) based on other 'career modes' in similar games. That was not my interpretation of how a typical meeting should and would, take place.

19. OldVern

On a more game related note there should be a means to recover from this in game. In MSTS, if you missed a stop the game kind of shrugged its shoulders and after about a mile beyond it popped up the next station in the list. With TSW if you keep going the scenario will not advance to the next objective. Instead of virtual tea and biscuits, I have suggested the game should wipe a suitable number of AP points from your score for that run with a chiding, then allow you to carry on.

• Like Like x 2
  20. benshikari

benshikari New Member

Agree - I know in an ideal world, we'd like the option to contact the signaller and setback etc, but in a slightly more realistic world, I think this would be a suitable compromise. As it stands, the level of "realism" we want seems to be missing and the level of "realism" we don't want, is oddly enforced (thinking of waiting the set time at stops and being unable to proceed etc).

21. Alex_m30x#7297

I wish that a similar system would happen for red lights. Most trains have the suitable equiptment for resets, and it is very demorilising when you spend 40+ minutes on a scenario/ timetable to loose it because of a small mistake.