Class 350 Fast Beep Beep Beep

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeff.engle, Apr 27, 2022.

1. jeff.engle

jeff.engle Active Member

After 3 hours of fighting with the "new" WCML South Class 350 in TS Classic I created a video of where I was getting an unexpected emergency brake. It does not seem to directly related to the DVD system. After listening to the video I recorded with the sound cranked up I hear a BEEP-BEEP-BEEP that is a high pitch. With my loss of hearing I didn't hear the fast BEEP-BEEP-BEEP with the noise in the train. I did hear it twice at the beginning of the scenario before I started out and noted that the "E" key made it stop. I don't see ANY documentation in the WCML South manual about a DVS or DVD Driver Vigilant System - I figured it out from posts I found that I needed to press the "E" key for the response for the DING. What's this fast BEEP-BEEP-BEEP?

How the heck can DTG sell this without any instructions on the basics on how to run the train? "E" is not even listed as a keyboard shortcut for the 350! Before this I felt that TS Classic was better documented than TSW. I bought the Classic set because I didn't have the extension for Leipzig-Dresden nor WCML South and thought it was a "bargain". Maybe not so.

The 350 seems like a neat train to run. Anyways - here's the video of the sound:

Questions:
    1) What is this BEEP-BEEP-BEEP?
    2) Is there a visual cue for it? (in the cab or on the rail)
    3) Can I turn it off?
    4) At the very least... If I get the Armstrong Powerhouse 350 will that allow me to run a 350 w/o having to worry about warnings I can't hear?

I hear the AWS and the DVS/DVD Ding, but not the BEEP-BEEP-BEEP.

Thanks in advance for the responses. Love this group!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

The ping is a clear AWS and requires no action, a long buzzer or bell (and the circular yellow and black sunflower symbol showing) would mean an active AWS and needs responding with the Q key within a few seconds or the Emergency brakes will apply.

The beep beep beep is the DVD (Driver Vigilance Device), in a real train your foot is constantly applying pressure to a foot plate switch called the DSD (Driver Safety Device), this replaced the dead mans handle, when you get the beeps you have to release and re-apply pressure to that foot plate within a few seconds to let the system know you're paying attention, in the game the foot plate switch is represented by the E key (only press the E key when you hear the beeps, you do not need to hold it down continuously).

So..
    AWS Ping = No action
    AWS buzzer or bell = Q key
    DSD beep beep beep = E key

There is no visual cue with the train or the track for the DSD though some trains have a pop-up window in the top right of the screen to enable/disable visual alerts it's Ctrl + Enter I believe
    To turn DSD on/off press Ctrl + D

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

From this comment we could be assumed you purchased TS yesterday for the first time
    Even though you have asked many question about the game.

Cancelling the AWS with the Q key is Standard across all models and not unique to this one.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly this was because the 350 model was "borrowed" from the 450 on the Waterloo - Portsmouth route which had the same "feature", ie the E key being used to cancel the DVD with the remainder of the alarms being cancelled by the AWS.
    Used to cause me headaches coming out of Waterloo to Vauxhall and forgetting E cancelled that specific alarm

5. jeff.engle

jeff.engle Active Member

Thanks 749006 Peter. Yes, I’ve been posting here for over a year playing TS and TSW. Bought the “classic” to get the extension to the Dresden route and thought the WCML route would make it worthwhile (already have Tehachapi). I thought I made myself clear I do understand the basic DSD ping, but not the beep beep beep. Both are resolved by pressing the E.

thanks Reef . Good info other than the ping for the stock 350 has to be responded to with E from what I found - every 60 seconds or so. The beep beep beep I could not hear because with headphones I get feedback from my hearing aids. I’ll double check that. I thought I tried turning DSD off and that didn’t work. I think that’s for the Anderson Powerhouse version from what I’ve read.

and thanks ARuscoe for your response too

6. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

No it doesn't, I've explained what each warning sound is what it represents and how to acknowledge them and it's the same for ALL modern day UK traction, sorry but you're just confusing yourself, responding to sounds that need no response and missing the cues for the sound that does.

7. jeff.engle

jeff.engle Active Member

Reef, you are ABSOLUTELY correct! I stand corrected. I did the Ctrl-D and it worked with Scenario 1. I did have one emergency braking - for AWS I must have been a tad too late on. Other than that I did the full 113 miles with no issue after the Ctrl-D. Yes, I was responding to sounds I didn't need to. I guess that's where a bit of documentation would surely be helpful. I suspect when I tried the Ctrl-D the first time I may have done it twice trying to see if there was any indication that DSD was turned on/off. Thanks so much for sticking with me through this. I surely was confused :mad:.

Jeff Fly2Jengle

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Don't worry I find myself confused on a daily basis (usually after the Wife has announced her latest great idea), glad I could be of assistance.

The main thing is you've got it sorted now so you can once again enjoy TS. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

I use to press the wrong keyboard keys, or as you say, not do it fast enough by the time I located the correct key on the keyboard / controller.

I would recommend the ATS controller buttons - makes responding to the alarms a lot easier and adds a bit more to the immersion.

Hardware – Alan Thomson Simulation

I know its more ££££ - but I drive most evenings so do get the use out of them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I'll second that, I've got steering wheel pedals that I use for the DSD (thanks to CobraOnes software) and the AWS plunger from ATS, well worth!

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

As Reef says you are mixing up the sounds

The basic Ping, or a Bell on older Locos, is telling you the Signal is Green and you Ignore it
    When a signal is not Green you get a Horn which continues to sound until you press Q to Cancel it
    If you don't cancel the horn then you get a brake application

DVD - Driver Vigilance Device is the Beep-Beep-Beep - it sounds every 60 seconds and you can reset it with E
    You can also Switch the DVD OFF with Ctrl+D
    Screenshot_ECML London - Peterborough_51.90048--0.20640_10-30-39.jpg

When you have switched it off a Message appears in the Top Right of the Screen

Peter

12. Veryfatbloke

Veryfatbloke Member

I also have two hearing aids and unless I CTRL+D the DSD I have my family moaning that they can hear the high pitched beep but I can't. I'm in the conservatory and they're in the living room, with the connecting door open. However, when I wear over the ear headphones I always take my hearing aids out. I also have a pair of bone conducting headphones which I use when running, when I use them I leave my hearing aids in. The bottom line is that I have to CTRL+D every time I run an activity, which I do whatever train I'm driving, I only drive UK.