Fitted And Unfitted.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by terry english, Apr 29, 2022.

1. terry english

terry english Active Member

If I remember correctly freight trains can be fitted, unfitted or partially fitted.
    If a train is unfitted am I correct in thinking that the train would use Instanter coupling and if fully fitted would use the screw coupling. I’m not sure about partially fitted but I can’t see it feasible to use Instanter and screw fitted couplings on the same train, either one or the other. Then again, is the Instanter coupling used in the close couple position or not, as the case may be.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated please.

2. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I believe that fitted freights have a continuous vacuum along the train, partially fitted only have a vacuum along part of the train and unfitted freights have no continuous vacuum brake along the train. This is very oversimplified as to go into all the ins and outs I would be here all evening!

3. terry english

Modern fitted freight have an air pipe so allowing the engine to brake using it’s air brakes.
    Vacuum braked trains could be partially fitted. The unfitted section would have through pipes to allow the vacuum to travel to other vacuum braked vehicles in the rake. Although, I do have a memory that unfitted wagons have to be placed in a certain position within the rake.
    But my main question was about the couplings used and which coupling to be used in any given circumstance.
    Cheers anyway.

4. matt#4801

Sorry I was talking about the oldern days as I've never been involved in the modern railway. Sorry I have no idea then.

Also unfitted wagons would be at the back of the rake.

5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure all wagons on British trackage today (aside from heritage railways) are fitted.

• Like Like x 1
  6. matt#4801

Yeah. I do believe so however I seem to be getting a bit mixed up this evening though.

7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

One slight wrinkle to this was "piped" wagons that had brake pipes but no brakes. As you note wagons with brakes were marshalled by the loco' in a train so those brakes would be used. Piped wagons, though unbraked, could be marshalled in between braked wagons because the through pipes allowed the wagons on the side away from the loco' to still have their brakes connected.

8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I don’t believe any trains running on the current UK routes in the game are unfitted. That may change with Spirit Of Steam, possibly.

9. terry english

This is why I posed the question. In the scenario on Tees Valley line 0Z53 which is dealing with two rakes of coke wagons, they look as if they are air braked because it is an air pipe that is connected between the wagons, but they are using a Instanter coupling, which I thought was only used on unfitted wagons, but perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps someone can put me right, if that is the case.

10. terry english

Thanks JJ Timothy, they were known as through piped wagons.

11. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Source

Source

12. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Instanter couplings were used on a lot of wagons on fitted freights certainly never only on unfitted wagons. Unfitted freight in the UK finished in the late 80s to early 90s and Vacuum braked freight not long after.