Regioexpress Services Don't Terminate At Sursee (they Go On Towards Olten)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by WonterRail, Apr 19, 2022.

1. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

Not quite sure where to post this, as this is not a bug but rather an issue regarding the authenticity of this routes timetable, but I wanted to get out something that I find rather bothering regarding one particular service on Rivet's latest route, S-Bahn Zentralschweiz: Luzern - Sursee, and it doesn't help that was the first thing I experience when I spawned in walking into this route for the first time and that is regarding the RE (RegioExpress) services on this route.

Now for those who don't know what these services are, they are the faster services that only stop at interim stations along the route compared to the S-Bahn services that stop at every station. Now in real life, these services would carry on going past the end of the line at Sursee, towards Olten, as seen from this real life schedule here:
    Real life RE service 1.PNG
    Same thing applies for services going into Luzern, as seen below here:
    Real life RE service 2.PNG
    Now as much as Olten isn't represented on this route, this would that, in theory, the RE services would just keep going past Sursee towards the AI spawn point which is in the direction of Olten.

But from having experienced this routes timetables in game, and more importantly, making a pdf out of it, I can safely say that this is not how Rivet handled the RE services on this route.

Instead, there is one 8 car 523 formation that is doing all of the RE services on this route and this 8 car formation never leaves the confines of the map. As a result, on this rendition of this route, when an RE services gets to Sursee, it pulls into platform 3, and then a few minutes later, turns around and heads back to Luzern without actually doing what it should be doing in real life, which is carrying on beyond the end of the line towards what would be Olten (or in this case, the AI spawn point). To show this in a little more detail, I've put a basic diagram here down below
    What actually happens with RE services.PNG
    Now even as something who doesn't live in this area, I can safely say what Rivet did with the RE services here is completely wrong as again, they wouldn't just terminate at Sursee like the S-Bahn services do, they would just keep going on towards Olten (towards the AI spawn point). Down below is another basic diagram of what these service should be doing instead.
    What should happen with RE services.PNG
    I don't know why Rivet opted to do what they ended up doing to the RE services here and I would like to know why they took this direction with these services, and while in the end, this may seem relatively minor compared to actual bugs with the routes timetable, it is still an important issue in terms of authenticity and for making this timetable as accurate to what actually happens on this route in real life.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  2. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Thats actually true. There is a german suggestion on rivets forum to extend the line to baar.

The s1 continues from luzern to baar, where it actually ends.
    Re services would go off the map after sursee in direction olten.
    Technically the a.i service s29 from olten should end at sursee and go back to olten.
    With an extension dlc, rivet could bring in the re460 interregio with the cab car stopping at sursee (term. at Basel / genf) or at rotkreuz / zug (term. at zürich / konstanz).

Screenshot_20220419-053520_Chrome.jpg

So here its about using the potential of a route again. My personal opinion is rivet should finally get their route busier like dtg does with recent routes.

This doesnt work out if they start from scratch somewhere over and over with 1 new loco or train. (Glasgow cathcart)

The luzern sursee was a wise choice if they are really up to make a network.

Here the pics of the double floor & single floor interregio published by xamax at rivets forum. The rolling stock is etcs equipped. But for use in a other part of switzerland they should implement the zub aswell.

Screenshot_20220419-170122_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220419-170107_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220419-170052_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220419-170031_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct and furthermore there should be freight services running here RE484 Traxx ES64F4 RE474 in addition to Re460 Rabe 500 502 IC Inter Regio services from Geneva. International Services towards Frankfurt Am Main Hbf Rabe 503 Also S1 Baar Luzern Sursee becomes S29 to Turgi via Olten from Sursee.
    Rabe 500 502 503 these can be sold as Swiss Tilting train pack for Luzern Sursee.

4. driverwoods#1787

Valid points and for S29 is it listed on Rabe 523 destination sign or not? If not present then S29 Turgi needs to be added into the destination sign

5. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

It does not really matters, in the game the run is from Lucerne to Sursee,or vice-versa, so the trains should all reflect as a destination either Lucerne or Sursee
    And also, the trains are turning around anyway at Sursee, what does it matter that it goes to the end of the map, which there is nothing there anyway, or it just turns around like they do now

• Like Like x 1
  6. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Because it ruins any sense of immersion you have that the line, and the traffic on it, runs anywhere beyond the 15 miles represented.

7. rat7_mobile

but it does not run anywhere outside the tracks we have in the game

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

If it changed anything practical I'd agree but honestly what percentage of players intently watch what AI trains are up to unless there's an issue? Can't say I would ever have noticed this, though i accept OP is more observant than me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Well its in the display database, but everything as s1.

There are 2 mods for the correction of those.

Screenshot_20220420-052919_Drive.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

At least the people who own the route effectively get a full line self contained route so you can do back and forth services all day if you wanted. We don't get many full line routes in tsw2 but at the same time it's a shame they broke realism and decided to make the timetable this way which isn't accurate but it is what it is.

11. driverwoods#1787

12. chris#5696

chris#5696 New Member

The S1 services from Sursee to Lucerne in game stay at Lucerne and that's wrong because IRL the train go to Baar. Honestly, Rivet didn't put much effort in the timetable to make it really realistic.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

The interesting thing about this is that there are S1 services going up towards Baar, but firstly, they are AI services only and secondly, they are their own thing separate from the rest of the timetable, which like the RE services on this route, are incorrect as they would come into Luzern from Baar, to form a service heading towards Sursee and same in reverse.

Part of the me thinks that Rivet did this because they didn't have the time to do it properly, or worse, they didn't want to do it properly (I hate to be cynical about this, but I don't have much choice here), but still decided to go ahead and add the Baar bound S1 services as AI separate from the main S1 services that run the length of the route, just for the sake of more traffic around Luzern. The problem with that theory is that there is one service that would be AI on this route and that I believe is operated by the RABe 523, but isn't represented at all here and that service is S3.

For those who don't know what that service is, S3 is a service that happens once every hour (with extra trains running during the early hours of the morning and into the late evening) and comes in and out of Luzern taking this branch you see down below:
    [​IMG]
    This branch I believe heads towards in real life, Arth-Goldau and then S3 would go beyond that to Brunnen.

But from having explored this route for a bit, I don't think I have seen a single service use this branch. Which is strange because, from what I could research, the S3 services are operated by the RABe 523 and would probably add just as much traffic around Luzern (if not a little less) than the inauthentic Baar bound S1 AI services that we have now. I don't know why this ended up happening as it is, but it just further shows how this timetable is completely inauthentic to what it actually is in real life and probably should be torn up and completely redone (something that I doubt will happen any time soon).

• Like Like x 1
  14. rat7_mobile

tt is realistic, as in the game the train goes from Lucerne to Sursee and vice-versa, so it is showing the right destination, and that is what it should and does show, lets not a "fake destination" but the real in-game destination

15. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

That is not what ‘realistic’ means.

• Like Like x 2
  16. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

It can't be a "fake destination" if it's based on real life...

• Like Like x 2
  17. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

For your convenience, from the Oxford dictionary:

• Like Like x 1