Speedrunning - West Somerset Railway

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Daytona, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

Frustrated with the 25mph limit, and having been introduced to speedrunning by @LauraKBuzz's stream, I'm having fun with the WSR

Northbound/down, the curves between Willton and Watchet seem to limit you to around 94mph.

Love the fact that I still get 500 points for a scheduled stop. I made my own scenario so I didn't have to wait for passenger loading/unloading.

I can't test it with really quick stuff, because Off The Rails mode doesn't appear to work, as it won't allow me to choose trains that are longer than the platforms. Anyone have a solution for this ?

Anyone else speedrunning ?

https://www.speedrun.com/train_sim_world_2

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I did the Journey mode run where you have to take the 47 light from Williton (I think) to Bishops Lydeard. I was so bored I just yanked the power handle open and let rip, though I did shut off at around 60 MPH which I figured would probably have been the linespeed down there in BR days.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed bobleighing the hst set down the line from minehead for a bit of unrealistic r&r. Great fun teasing the limits of corners as you have to think ahead where you need to reduce speed. have to admit the hst is very generous about how fast you can go, can’t see it doing 80-90 round blue anchor in reality.

• Like Like x 2
  4. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Can you spawn the DB BR612 there? Maybe it tilts for new PBs ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

The 612 would be interesting (I don't have it) you should be able to spawn it, if it fits in the start location (I think that's how it works).

I've just had a terrifying but successful downhill run in the HST 4 set. I maxed out at 126 and got scared, so reduced to 90. I can recommend cab sway at 200% for maximum immersion
    The issue with Off The Rails mode, was that Norton's platform at the far south of the line was too short so I started at Bishop's Lydeard instead.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jesseblast

Jesseblast New Member

jee.png My attempt driving BR185.5 MRCE. Lost a couple of seconds by breaking too early at the end, but other than that I don't think there is much room to improve with this particular train. :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Honestly, they should set it back to the BR era and just let us drive locos at full speed instead of the snooze fest it is now. Its a good looking route hampered by the heritage speed limit.

• Like Like x 2
  8. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I like the wsr how it is now. Sure to have a br era in addition would be great too.

The good thing to have a heritage line like wsr is you can run a timetable with basicly every diesel & steam loco together in one session. Except electric trains, everything would be realistic, even a hst.

Cant wait to go for a run with the jubilee or the 8f down to minehead.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Planning on doing that as well :)

10. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I like this thread and the thinking behind it.
    Plus 1 for grip it and rip it.

11. JellyScrub

JellyScrub Active Member

I wonder if a DLC with a new timetable as a regular railway at full speed could be possible for WSR?

12. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

The speed limit when operated by GWR or BR was only ever 40mph at its highest, not much difference really.

13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Still better than 25 MPH. And I bet none of the LRO mandated level crossing restrictions applied.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

The WSR's LRO is special anyway, they can still run at 40mph with DMUs if they wish to, but I can't think of any crossing restrictions on WSR that aren't in the vicinity of stations.

15. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Anyone ran an ICE along this route yet?