PC Proper Horn Usage For German Trains.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pdxmark77, Aug 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pdxmark77

pdxmark77 Active Member

I try and operate the trains in TSW as authentic as possible (Except for the few times I throw the train into Emergency to jump out and grab a no trespassing sign). But the one thing I do not know about is the proper horn usage for German trains (like in RSN).

Does someone mind sharing when it would be appropriate to sound the horn, and if there is any set standard on when to use them.

I know in the US it's completely different as each crossing you have to do the long, long, short, long pattern at each crossing, but in Germany I'm assume it's something completely different.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  2. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

In RSN there is no use of the horn. As far as I know you only use the horn on unsecured crossings, wich are rare on much frequented lines.
    In front of unsecured crossings are whistleboards (Pfeitafel) with a "P" on it. Then you use thr horn to warn all around the crossing that a train is coming.

Two P's mean you have to horn twice:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  3. John Doe

John Doe New Member

In addition: in Germany there are very strict regulations for noise prevention, also for railways and industry.

4. Kentora

Kentora Member

The regulation in Germany and in other continental country should be the same for what I know (contry driving interoperability) :
    - you have to horn before and after going through a tunnel.
    - you have to horn when passing another train.

Hope it helps

5. Karl456

Karl456 Member

Sorry that I have to disagree with you, but living in Germany and riding on German railways at least once a week I may tell you that German trains use their horn very very rarely. On the route that I usually travel on there is a tunnel, and normally the train drivers do not use the horn before entering the tunnel. They just drive in. Because actually nobody should be in the tunnel as it is strongly prohibited for a civil person to enter any train track that is in use and therefore they absolutely must not enter a railway tunnel. And next to this I am very sure that German trains do not use their horn every time they pass another train. I mean - why should they? Every train has got signal lights to identify oneself so that it can be seen clearly even at night time. And at daytime it's even easier to recognize a train coming ahead. There's no reason for producing that much noise. Just imagine how loud it would be, e.g. when you're standing on a platform at Berlin Hbf and every arriving and every departing train uses its horn. You could barely understand your own words...

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1