Rainbow Container On Horseshoe

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by WonterRail, May 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Well it’s a work day in the UK now, time for this to be locked and hidden away in 3….2…..

• Like Like x 2
  2. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

Who exactly is triggered? Seems it's you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

tallboy7648 look at all the pages of this thread and you might guess why

4. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Legend
    They're certainly inclusive for a lot of people, but because 'orange man bad' and 'party man evil' I suspect they'll be taken down.

Welcome to Mismanagement Incorporated everybody.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Good morning DTG JD DTG Protagonist

Hope you both had a good bank holiday weekend, sorry about the mess...

(Sorry for tagging)

6. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Already have pinged JD but no response

7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Ultimately we fire up TSW to play trains, not to have external agendas pushed down our throats - whether it's LGBT, BLM. Greta, Greenpeace or anything else.

If such containers exist in real life, then fair enough include them if you must. Otherwise, no.

By the same token, even though I don't smoke and only drink beer, to be accurate I would expect Spirit Of Steam to include billboard advertising for Woodbines, Players Navy Cut and Haig whisky as quite appropriate to the era if not politically correct by today's standards.

• Like Like x 8
  8. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Another one who thinks equality is an agenda. And another one added to the ignore list

• Like Like x 1
  9. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

You're all absolutely correct.

"I think this group of people should be allowed to exist" is a highly volatile political statement that has no business being in a game. And you are correct that gay people like myself are constantly forcing our agenda (wtah?) down straight ppl's throats.

A straight couple can kiss on a TV programme, or hold hands in a theme park builder and no one bats an eyelid but suddenly when it's a gay couple doing it we're forcing our agenda down people's throats and the people who made the game/programme are making strong political statements that have no place being there.

[Removed - JD - inflammatory]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  10. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Morning, folks. I understand this is a polarising subject, and there are some strong opinions - and that this is a bit of a minefield. I ask that you keep this civil - as far as I can see, this is a discussion about representation vs. realism. For the time being, I will not lock the thread, but if I see anything offensive or derogatory, or any comments in bad taste, I will do so immediately, and remove any offending comments.

For context, these have been brought over from the same containers in Sherman Hill, at the same frequency of visibility.

My personal view is this - sexuality and gender identity are not political statements - or at least, they shouldn't be. They are a deeply personal thing, and if we've made one person who's had a tough time feel more welcome within our games or titles, then implementing something like this has been worth it, even if it's not 100% true to real-life as it stands. Should stipulate that's my own opinion, and I do understand the desire to strive for a game that is absolutely true-to-life. There are some lovely responses already in this thread from those who are part of the LBGTQ+ community, and that is why things like this are important.

We don't have a Maersk license (I've seen comments mentioned about us representing the rainbow containers), but I've asked if we can present the same patterning on the containers without it being a Licensing risk. [EDIT - I've been informed that we're not able to edit these, due to licensing concerns].

We are certainly not implementing it with any political agenda intended - it's an indicator of equality and inclusivity, as with the Transgender flag represented within containers last year.

We, as a company are committed to diversity and inclusion; this isn't a 'token' gesture. We want people from all walks of life to be able to enjoy and feel represented within our games - and that comes with both accessibility and representation. We have some way to go still, and on a simulator title it can be a challenge, but we're working on it.

• Like Like x 23
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I have and frankly I see no reason. Welcome to the forum :)

12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The pride flag should not need to exist in this day and age. Fortunately, things have improved massively for LGBQT+ people in recent years, but there is still a long way to go. For that reason, the pride flag is important and it’s nice to see it represented by companies throughout the world.

• Like Like x 3
  13. tallboy7648

Well a simple solution would be to give players the option like how you already do with the dynamic advertising and to an extent with creators club in which players have the option to pick what livery they want to give players the option to have these fictional liveries enabled or disabled. I honestly see no harm in that and is a good compromise. If there there in real life, that's not a problem but if it's fictional then players should be given some sort of option. I don't really think these things are necessary since people should feel included and welcome but hey I guess the times we live in call for these unnecessary measures being shoved down our throats.

Does this mean we will see religious logos, blm posters and other "inclusive" logos in the game in the future? Some people may find a trump 2020 flag inclusive. Would you take that down from creators club if it was implemented?

• Like Like x 2
  14. redrev1917

We already have churches depicted in game. As an atheist should I find this offensive and complain Christianity is being shoved down my throat?

15. tallboy7648

But hey there are there in reality so I have no issue. I'm an atheist too

• Like Like x 2
  16. redrev1917

But the depictions in game are generally no more accurate then having a 53'rainbow liveries unmarked container in place of a 20' marked rainbow container are they. Should were is the uproar about them. Should we be saying unless a church is 100% accurate it shouldn't be in game otherwise it's ramming religious agendas down our throats? It's 100% the same arguement but I don't see a thread about that?

17. DTG JD

We would remove content associated we deem to be ascribing to political campaigning and discourse, no matter who it was supporting. The 'Love to Ukraine' livery currently on Creators Club, for instance, isn't a comment on the conflict going on, but instead a reminder for everyone to remember those and support who are being impacted on a human level.

There is always an element of subjectivity involved in a discussion like this, and that's what makes it challenging. We will try to make our games and communities though a welcoming place where we can.

• Like Like x 3
  18. tallboy7648

Oh the typical whataboutism. What about this, what about that. Sure I wouldn't mind seeing churches taken down if that's what your asking. I think something that can even work better is to have these symbols as side scenery as someone suggested earlier because there are instances in which you would see symbols there in reality so perhaps on a flagpole in someone's house or something. Better yet stick to making real liveries and keep fictional ones optional.

• Like Like x 4
  19. redrev1917

I'm not asking that at all, just making it clear that the same people who complain about this semi fictional livery being in the game being about an agenda have no issues about semi fictional Churches being included.

Let's stop pretending it's anything to do with being semi fictional and everything to do with it about being LGBTQ. Just like how US sports fans pretended that Black players kneeling was about disrespecting the Anthem so when the players kneeled before the Anthem it changed to being about bringing politics into sport

• Like Like x 2
  20. tallboy7648

What you said was clear whataboutism just because some people simply don't agree but ok. At least I've offered a solution that DTG can consider but hey I guess options in video games are a bad thing. So all games should have a fixed setting and players can't customize things how they want it to be...

Also not all U.S sports fans thought that kneeling during the anthem was disrespectful. I certainly didn't. In this country we have the right to protest how we want whether people agree or disagree with the reasons.

• Like Like x 2
  21. redrev1917

[removed by Protagonist - unnecessarily argumentative]

22. DTG JD

• Like Like x 2
  23. tallboy7648

[removed by Protagonist - continuing an argument]

24. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Clearly the most logical solution is for DTG to buy some 53' shipping containers and send them back out into the wild.

• Like Like x 2
  25. tallboy7648

Even the dtg employees can be so sensitive it seems.

26. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

[removed by Protagonist - that would start an argument]

27. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

[genuinely edited by Protagonist - faking a moderation edit, even if "hilarious" will get you a suspension]

• Like Like x 1
  28. tallboy7648

What's the matter with calling a steam train a kettle that it needed to be removed. Overdramatic much mate?

• Like Like x 1
  29. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

I like your sense of humour

• Like Like x 4
  30. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

I like it and I refuse to take the 'keep politics out of my trains' people seriously.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

This is not a sleight to you personally, J.D., however you must forgive me for disbelieving this statement. The purpose of Dovetail Games (a trading name of RailSimulator.com, Ltd.) is to generate profits, not altruism. Whatever statements about diversity and inclusion are made are secondary to the primary motive of capital. These kinds of gestures are only approved if they are either projected to increase profits or at the very least not negatively affect them. I might be called cynical, but I would call this statement naïve.
    This furthers my point. The end goal includes but is not limited to attracting more sales. Let us not pretend that, from the position of the company as a whole, it is more than that.

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  32. redrev1917

Actually this statement is following UK law, all employers have to be equal opportunities employers, but even if it wasn't law. An equal opportunities company instills a positive atmosphere which in turns aids staff retention and increases moral and productivity as well as attracting the best talent. I've worked for companies which just do enough to be compliant with the law and companies which strive to be the best at ensuring a positive anti discrimination culture. My current employer certainly falls into the latter category and is one of the main reasons why I've remained with them for so long and stuck by them thru the bad days as well as the good days.
    Ask yourself do you want to work in a divisive environment or one which is inclusionary?

I genuinely feel that DTG falls into the latter category also.

• Like Like x 2
  33. tallboy7648

It's kinda like what F1 did with their whole "We Race As One" Campaign after the death of George Floyd. They did that really to make the sport not look bad really. I found the whole thing hypnotical since they race in countries in the Middle East which is notorious for human rights violations. DTG are a business not a activist organization so you do have a point. It's good that they are inclusive but that's not really the main purpose of the business. They are there to make money

34. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

35. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I agree, but that's not really my point. More inclusive and diverse workplaces pave for more inclusive and diverse labour exploitation. My quarrel is not that DTG is not earnest in fostering a positive atmosphere, but that it is hollowed within the context of profit generation. The effects may be real (I cannot say, I do not work for DTG), but it is tokenism by definition, and I find the obfuscation that money is not behind these decisions to be dishonest. I despise the tokenism of good causes by business because it quickly leads to astroturfing as has been shown time and time again. I would much prefer profit motivation stay away from progressive movements.

My previous statement was also intended to tell off the people complaining about "woke" corporations or what have you. DTG's actions have nothing to do with taking a side in the culture war.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  36. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

[removed - JD - antagonistic]

37. redrev1917

Calling out people who are discriminatory is a positive action which creates a more tolerant and inclusive environment.

Conversely ignoring discriminatory behaviour and allowing it to continue does cause further division and ill feeling which stops others from speaking out [removed - JD - antagonistic]

38. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

With regards to this thread as a whole

I once knew someone, who had a friend, who once actually saw a container wagon, so I’m all open to these containers

• Like Like x 4
  39. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 8
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.