Drilling The Lack Of Light At Night.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by tcmikaelsouza, May 3, 2022.

1. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

Good morning Friends, I hope you are well, I've been playing lately with the BR403 in Munchen - Augsbug, and most of my schedules during the day I've already fulfilled, and others are missing at dawn and others at night.

When playing at night, even using the high beam, I believe most of you have noticed, the visibility is minimal, to be able to play at night with better visibility I've been playing with snow weather, so I can see things better night.

Have any of you tried this to make it easier? If not, I hope it helps in some way to those who don't play night services like me before because of the low visibility. It's a pale solution, I hope DTG fixes this so we can see better, especially on British trains that the lighthouse is almost an ornament.

Hugs!

2. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Well its called night and darkness for a reason.
    The lights on the train are not there for you to see where you are going but IRL for others to see you. There's not much you do see in the night time.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

You are aware that headlights in Germany and the uk are only there to let other drivers know that there is an operational train, where as in the us it’s still the same but brighter, this isn’t a bug at all and there’s nothing to fix as it’s realistic.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Its only in the UK
    Germany has high beam during the nights

• Like Like x 2
  5. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Headlights in Germany are quite bright though. UK headlights are also a bit more brighter then what is depicted in game so yes the lighting in the game is unrealistic

• Like Like x 1
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The BR403 has quite a tinted windscreen which makes the night much darker from inside the cab and the reach of the headlights can’t be seen from the driver’s seat either. When I drive it at night I position the external camera in front of the train and drive with an unobstructed view from that camera rather than from in the cab. Using a ‘headout’ camera view from the internal camera options works in a similar way.

7. tcmikaelsouza

Well, I was never aware, I've always seen the three of them light up really well in real life, but ok.
    I was hoping at least that it would light up a few meters ahead, because in clean condition you can't see absolutely nothing.

For cases in journey mode that I can't see almost anything I use this external camera in front of the train, I can see a little better.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Diamondderp

Diamondderp Guest

ICE 3 headlights aren't that strong irl compared to a TRAXX.

9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

At least in the US, they're like searchlights. They absolutely are there to help the engineer see.

• Like Like x 3
  10. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

I feel your pain,I’ve been doing some Clinchfield runs at night and man is it daaaaarrrk. Does make it more realistic tho.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Those statements are false unless you're still living in the 80s.

You were right in your original assumption. Headlights in Germany (on anything built post-80s) are indeed intended to light up the tracks. Marker lights are used during the day and high beam headlights during the night.

• Like Like x 1
  12. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Most of the time at night I cannot find the loco to get in it :D;) Then I found the hat light :) Yes driving at night is hard in real life. Though the human eye can adjust better than doing it in a computer game, where the screen cannot replicate the complexity of the human eye.. I have to admit they could make it a little easier to see.
    It does show you the skills of driver and the trust they place in the equipment and track. Also the route knowledge they hold in their heads. Hats off to all real train drivers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Well, I understand it being realistic, but it would be nice to have option in game configuration to select bright lights, that would light the darkness simply because I would like to see where I'm going.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  14. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Understand what you are saying but the simulation is correct, real Drivers cannot see where they are going at night. With our Human eyes they adapt and can pick out things, somehow DTG need to work out some sort of light/darkness as if it is being seen by a human eye. If that makes sense!

15. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Well, the easiest (I say with no game development experience :D) way to satisfy all parties would probably be to have a semi-fictional moonlight slider which allows players to choose the desired level of darkness.

Be that as it may, the headlights need to work properly for realistic nights to be fun (for me at least) and currently, only a few trains have somewhat prototypical headlights (TSG's G6 and Br 612 come to mind).

16. tcmikaelsouza

Exactly, that's what I imagined, it's no use for the ICE to have at least 4/5 types of lighting and none of them being effective to illuminate a few meters, that is, right here in Brazil (that the trains don't even arrive at the feet of the you Europeans and Americans) the headlights shine a lot...

17. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Around 42:00 using the high beams as a way finder. But normal seems quite dark.
    But the other traffic is much brighter than in TSW.

• Like Like x 1