The New 9€ Ticket In Germany

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Br425, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

So from the 1st June for 3 months, there will be a new ticket introduced in Germany which will cost 9€ per month and which will allow you to travel with RE, RB, S and other train services in the entire country (basically everything except ICE, IC and other long distance services).

I would like to explore all the German routes from TSW in real life with that ticket, I think it would be great to see what they look like after having played on the routes for ages :) I have never been on any route from TSW yet, so I am really looking forward to travelling around.
    Has anybody else made plans already too?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

If the UK had a ticket like that it would cost about £1000 per month lol.

• Like Like x 2
  3. highland beastie

highland beastie Well-Known Member

In New Zealand that will get you around one two hour return train.

4. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

Absolutely. For me this ticket will be a local train BC100 (For the non germans, a BahnCard gives you a discount on any ticket. So A BC 25 gets you 25% off and so on, a BC 100 is all trains much as you like, but costs thousands per year. )

I have already plans to visit a lot of cities like Stuttgart, Bremen, Hamburg, Lübeck and Leipzig, (Berlin is surprisingly bad connected with regional Services from the West). All these Citys can be reached within a maximum of a 7-8 hour journey one way from where i live just with local services, making single day trips with at least two hours in the actual Destination possible. And the multiple hours long journey shouldnt be an issue as a railfan :)
    Also im planning to hop on a 612, something I have never done and have to travel quite a bit for, and certainly would never have done without this ticket.

However if the ticket serves its actual purpose, which most certainly isnt getting railfans around germany with ridiculously long journeys just to be on a specific class of train, isnt very clear. For commuters its only avaible for three months in the Summer, so the idea of getting commuters from the car into trains doesnt quite come along. But maybe the timespan during the holidays means that more people go on a vacation by train, as now its many many times cheaper than a car journey, and as my plans proove, within a day you'll get from anywhere to anywhere in Germany just with RE/RB and S Bahn Trains.
    Besides my plans that i have made only because the ticket will exist, it will save me the ~60€ for an ICE ticket to visit family in southern Germany, which i then could do every weekend, that comes in handy too.

And if anyone wants to recommend trips over specific lines (of course the Rhine and Mosel Valley lines are already planned) or to certain places / wants recommendations, feel free to ask/answer
    One Thing i'd recommend is catching IC Services, which can be used with RE Tickets at some parts of their Journey like an IC between Letmathe and Dillenburg as well as the IC between Bremen and Norddeich Mole. So you can travel on IC stock with the Ticket, all Dosto IC sets but still ;)
    You can find all IC Connections that you are allowed to use with a regional trains only Ticket here:
    https://www.bahn.de/service/individuelle-reise/bahn_und_fahrrad/nahverkehrsfreigabe
    (Around Berlin even ICE and Railjet)

Critics might say that its very expensive to found just for three months with an estimated cost of 2,5 billion, but with our new Military budget, which wont help the current Situation, but us in a few Years, maybe, if all the money doesnt go to consulting firms like the Last few billions , you could have funded the 9€ Ticket for 10 Years.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Great idea, I'll do that too!

That is correct, but honestly, for our purposes the ticket is just awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

£2160... The "All line rover" ticket is £540 a week for adults, and is restricted to out of peak times only (and only on network rail so no LUL, trams etc)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

What?? In Germany, we have the "Bahncard 100", which allows you to travel on any train (ICE, IC as well) at any time. It costs about 341€ a month which according to Google is about 288 pounds per month.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  8. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Ive been on a single trip that was a total distance of 400miles (644km) including the return distance, that cost about as much as that.

UK rail prices are beyond a joke, to such an extent that in many cases it can be cheaper to fly to another country and fly from there to the UK city you want to go.

Luckily I now have my sentinel card which, in most cases, allows me to travel for free.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Wow, that is unbelievable. And I thought Germany's train prices were expensive...

• Like Like x 1
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

They are...
    The ticket isn't all that goes into paying for trains so you need to look at the wider picture
    German income and other taxes are much higher than in the UK so you're essentially paying for everyone to have lower fares whenever you work

• Like Like x 1
  11. SwissMadeKzu

SwissMadeKzu Member

In Switzerland, we are quite lucky to have the GA/AG (General Abo / Abonnement Général) which allows to travel without restriction on (almost) all the public transport networks (Except a few private mountain railroads / cable cars).
    It's really cheap compared to the German BahnCard 100 (but Switzerland is smaller as well), for a price of 3860.- / year if you can pay it at once, or 340.- / month in second class.

12. animatiker

animatiker Active Member

The BahnCard 100 is around 345 € per month, not per week, so the difference is even bigger. (it's 4144 € per year)

13. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Oh you are right. I meant month but wrote week...

• Like Like x 1
  14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

:o:o:o

15. solicitr

Or whenever you buy anything, with that whopping VAT hidden in the price. And then the fuel taxes, which you don't just pay at the pump, but also indirectly any time you buy anything that was shipped by truck or diesel train.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Is £1000 half price ?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

Family discount

18. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

And its passed by parliament and the Bundesrat, so 9€ Ticket confirmed!
    Confunsingly there was a lot of advertising done before the Ticket was even a political fact, but maybe due to all this hype they simply couldnt abolish it!
    :love:

19. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Yes I wondered about that as well. But anyway, the ticket is coming and I am incredibly hyped!

20. solicitr

Why would a discount ticket have to be approved by the legislature??? Especially since DBAG isn't technically a state agency, but a corporation owned by the German government.

21. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Not sure - could it be that it was the government that had the initiative and not DB itself?

22. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Yes the initiative came from the government, it is part of many different measures that shall relieve the citizens from the higher prices (due to the war in Ukraine). The train companies and the transportation networks had no idea it was coming until the government announced it to everyone...

• Like Like x 1
  23. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I see, that makes sense. Fingers crossed there will be similar programs here as well, so jealous :D

• Like Like x 1