Managing My Collection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cellersaver, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Cellersaver

Cellersaver New Member

I have been using TS (off and on) since TS 2015. I have collected a lot of routes, and activities. It is very time consuming to scroll through everything every time I start running the program. Is there some way to set up a group of routes that I play regularly or mark some routes as favorites to simplify this? Thanks for the help,

2. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Untick those you don’t play, this will free up disk space and speed the game up making it a lot more playable. I have done this and if I decide to play something I haven’t bothered about for sometime, I tick it in DLCs and it’s there to play it again.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You can add a route or train to your Favourites and these will appear first when looking thru

Alternatively, as nwp1 suggests remove those routes you don't use in the Steam Client
    I removed most of my US Routes as I don't play them very much.

4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Mike Simpson (TS-Tools creator) has a utility to do this, I've never actually tried it though.
    Store Them v3.zip
    As the great man himself says

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

You can mark your favourites by clicking the star. This works for routes and scenarios. They'll be on top then.

2022-04-28 18_24_40-Train Simulator (x64).png

• Like Like x 2
  6. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Ok so posting this prompted me to actually try it, I've just stored 72 of my 83 installed* routes and wow, the loading time from game launch to main menu is eye blinkingly quick.

This would be really handy for route/scenario builders as only having the one route to load dramatically improves the launch time.

*All of my US and DE routes are uninstalled anyway

7. Cellersaver

Cellersaver New Member

Thanks to everyone for your replies. STORE THEM is the answer to my problem. I knew I collected many routes over the years but I never would have thought I had 108! I just keep the few routes I am actively using on the current list and it loads in seconds instead of minutes. It only takes a few seconds to move a route between active and stored. If you are thinking of trying this, you do need TS-TOOLS that is available on the same website. Thanks, again.

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I have looked at this before but never bothered. I never thought it might be an issue. Does it improve gameplay as well, or only loading?

9. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Significantly speeds up launching and menu build up. Has no effect on scenario loading time or gameplay.

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

So with my SSD, means nothing much then.

11. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

So how does it work? What I mean is does it leave the icon of the route in the menu in Train Simulator or remove it entirely? Does it just move all the route files to somewhere else? I would like to know before I download and do it for my Train Sim, thanks in advance.

12. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

Taken from the StoreThem manual:
    "StoreThem works by simply re-naming folders, So no file or folder copying is done and in theory nothing can be lost."
    It works for me ok.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Thanks for informing me. :)

14. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

But does storing them via TS Tools reduce your hard drive space as unticking your DLC does?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Craigie-C

No, "StoreThem works by simply re-naming folders, So no file or folder copying is done"
    It can help to speed up load time and cleans up your TS menu by not displaying your stored routes.
    It will not affect your HDD space.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  16. Craigie-C

Sorry forgot to answer this bit, "StoreThem" will stop the routes you have stored from appearing in your TS Menu completely, as in the route and all associated scenarios will not be visible.
    Remember though you can easily restore stored routes to make them re-appear and be useable again. Might be worth downloading and have a good read of the included manual before installing to your PC.

17. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

Yes, one way is just create a new folder in the Content folder and name it something like Routes Archived and transfer the routes that you don't play regularly into that folder, they won't show up when you go into the game then, so, you can scroll quicker through the routes that you do want to play with.
    They are still installed on your hard drive, of course, so, you can easily move them back if you feel like you want to play them sometime, it's all quick and easy, it also depends on how much space you have available on your hard drive if you want to install newer routes as they become available.

I'm not aware of any function that allows you to actually favourite a route in the game, that's a new one on me.

Cheerz. Steve.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Read Post #5 in this thread
    Clicking on the Star in the bottom right corner makes it a Favourite

19. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

Thanks Peter.

20. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

It’s possible to rename the routes in any order you want, which I have done by adding a two digit number so they appear in some sort of order.

From the home page in TS, click on Build, then Route, and then rename.

For me, I Normally start with the nearest to London number first, so for instance my WCML routes appear as follows:
    01 WCML South
    02 WCML Trent Valley
    03 WCML Missing Link
    04 WCML Over Shape
    05 WCML North

Then for East Coast Mainline routes all start with 10.
    GWR start with 20.
    Midland Mainline 30.
    Anything else 40.

I don’t drive non UK routes, but guess you can follow the same logic by using a 3 digit number.
    Ie 100 for Uk, 200 for Germany, 300 for USA etc.