Guards

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by terry english, May 8, 2022.

1. terry english

terry english Active Member

Are there any scenarios within TSW2 that have a simulated guard. I haven’t come across any yet. It seems that DTG are missing a point here as I can think of scenarios where there should be a guard, but there isn't one.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

There is no guard system whatsoever

3. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

This was discussed in a thread not that long ago.

Since tsw offers much in gameplay variety, a guard functionality wouldnt be something far off, especially with spirit of steam. Usually when i do collectables i drive as passenger, so why not as a guard too.

To be realistic, this would mean an active changing inside the service mode. Even if its possible now, dtg wont implement this for free.

So a possible way to really create this feature is with a separate dlc. Lets say you want the "guard dlc" for a route, you get an extra timetable and the commands for a.i passenger boarding needs to be changed to player inputs.

They could give a timetable book to the player, where your departure timings are visible and a clock for a no hud experience, each can be activated similar to the flashlight.

For me personally, with dtgs current approach of creating content, i hope they stay away from this suggestion. There are no loco addons on the roadmap and i rather have their work going into new routes or rolling stock.
    The guard feature would be nice, but currently a waste of dtgs ressources.

4. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

I don't think implementing a guard is on their radar at the moment, with other more pressing issues to address as well as getting SoS in the right place etc. But I think if they did do a "guard dlc" then I reckon they could make it a separate mode for challenges, for example limited to 20 with each level getting harder. How would it get difficult? Start with fewer passengers and more time, then increasing the volume of passengers and limiting the time, deducting points for lateness and unsafe departures. Perhaps giving the option to be used in timetable mode too. Overall I think they do need to add something different eventually.

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not sure the OP is talking about a PLAYER guard, but an AI guard. I can't see a reason why they COULDN'T do an AI guard (which would be a matter of someone else opening the doors, closing the doors and making the buzzer buzz) but it's not there yet

• Like Like x 1
  6. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

In this case its even easier. Putting a 3d guard inside the train and adding a buzzer sound for the "boarding complete" task.

7. ARuscoe

No reason to have a guard person in the train (else people would expect them to do guard tasks), but there are many routes which are not Driver Only operated

8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Of course, there used to be a bug whereby you could glitch the game into having both a player and AI driver on the same train, and so the AI would do the doors and it was quite cool (but only really when you wanted it, otherwise it just got annoying), but apparently it's been fixed.

9. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Just à buzzer and closing doors like well, in TS Classic... would be nice. No need to tinker with modelling à real 3d guard. That would eat a lot of ressources well need elsewhere. At least in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  10. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

And would make driving HUDless easier and more prototypical

• Like Like x 2
  11. ARuscoe

On non DOO routes... SEHS has platform monitors and hardly ever has guards on the Metro routes (and I've never seen them on the 700s)

12. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Sure there'll be routes where a guard is wrong, but without sitting down and working it out route by route I'd be surprised if having a guard on every route was more wrong then not having a guard on every route.

13. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Then there's the question of how do you do it with routes whereby you have some services with guards, and some without - is the guard's presence blanket across the whole route, just specific services, or tied to a specific train?

14. ARuscoe

As easy as having a checkbox on the service setup menu... And I'm sure the community would give good advice on what routes generally have a guard (Medway Valley or CML Lines for example) and which don't (465s on the SEHS etc)