Spirit Of Steam 31st May Release

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by WVUadam, May 10, 2022.

1. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  2. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

Interesting, not the way I thought it would be announced. Also surprised they've not increased the price.

Good spot!

3. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Can’t see a price yet. There may be a pre-release discount. Hope it is the same percentage as Glasgow subway.

4. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Looks like the price was removed but it's still visible in SteamDB as lowest recorded.
    https://steamdb.info/app/1490119/

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

At least the price is confirmed. (Edit: Possibly).

As I said in the other thread, just a bit wary that this has been rushed through to meet a deadline, given that, what (?), a week or so ago when the screenshots released there were still moderate to severe concerns about the steam particle effects.

No catering vehicles is also very much a downer for me. How hard would it have been to include a RMB or a kitchen/dining car to go in the consists?

Still no word on whether we will get steam heat effects from the coaching stock.

Well I think I shall wait for the initial reviews and feedback on this rather than take a Day 1 plunge. Don't get me wrong, it looks very nice but there is more to steam simulation than pretty graphics.

• Like Like x 3
  6. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Good post OV. I have to be encouraged to take a Day 1 purchase. Depends on the discount and if only 10% may wait until the Christmas sale, when summer releases have huge discounts. If it’s more than 10% I will open my wallet. Waiting to spend a lot from AP and the June sales. My priority buy is the JTs Hope Valley which I intend to buy on its release which could well be at the end of this month.

Thanks Tomas9970 for confirming the price.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  7. OldVern

£25 could buy me 3 or 4 wagon sets and knock out quite a lot of those grungy default Run 8 boxcar placeholders. It will all come down to what I feel give most value for money. Much as I like the look of SoS, I am concerned it could become the GWE of steam era TSW. A short end to end route, once you’ve done a few trips each way and a bit of no real purpose shunting, could age fast.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I think the intention is that adding steam to TSW2 will attract new players to the game which would otherwise had relied on other sims for steam simulation. The price shouldn't need to be any higher and the extra development time should be cancelled out by sales to newcomers, at least in theory. There's the starter bundle on the store page containing the base game for only £5 more, so obviously they're trying to attract a new audience here - those mostly interested in steam only.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I notice that for those that have never bought TSW2 it is offered at just only £5 plus the cost of SoS totalling £29.99

10. highland beastie

highland beastie Well-Known Member

I really look forward to spirt of steam, from all the pictures it looks amazing, but I'll definitely be waiting for a few reveiws to come through just in case something goes terribly wrong.

11. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I would hope after all the recent rhetoric the folks at DTG will go the extra mile and release a quality steam simulation on a quality route. Notice the common theme here! If they are serious about Q improvement they will make day 1 good to go with no patching to fix silly mistakes. I am surely dreaming but could they pull it off?

12. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

With the lack of preorder discount, there seems no harm in seeing how this one plays out. Excited to see Steam in TSW for the first time but also being cautious as it is the first steam route in TSW...there could be many kinks in their first steam outing

Looking forward to the preview streams as well

13. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

After all the talk of really getting it right, and the update the other week that said they still had some way to go I am surprised to see it 3 weeks away from release. This presumably means a preview with gameplay next week 2 weeks before release, lets hope that isn't a mess! I would almost have expected to see something live before they finalised the release date. Just so they can know it is really achievable at the right level of polish.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Bummed that there is no pre-order discount but it may just be an oversight and they may turn it on when the realize it. Even if not, I am buying. I just need to get through 3 more weeks of expectations.

15. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Can't wait for this !!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. OldVern

My sentiments exactly. After letting myself get carried along on the hype, a cooler head is now prevailing and I shall be waiting until it’s bedded in/proven and maybe even a sale.

17. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Sherman Hill screams for this loco! ;)

Big Boy on Sherman Hill.jpg
    Quite a while ago I rendered a 3D model of Big Boy in Blender and put it via Photpshop into a TSW screenshot of SMH, to see what it might look like. Of course the steam particles are rendered too fine and would even crash current 9th gen consoles and Gaming PCs, but the lighting fits and the UE4 could represent it that way.

• Like Like x 5
  18. JellyScrub

JellyScrub Active Member

Looks pretty convincing! Nice job

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Yeah, not much point in pre-ordering it then. I'll buy it regardless but would pre-order if there was actually a discount.

20. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I think I'll wait, but not sure how long I can actually wait.

Without a pre-order discount, I might as well wait until the first reviews come in. Then I'll probably wait for some kind of discount during one of the sales. Although I really like the addition of steam locomotives in TSW, the British designs aren't the prettiest in my personal opinion, but that's a matter of taste.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm also looking forward to the first "Spirit of Steam" implementation. The screenshots look good and the steam effects are quite convincing. Smooth gameplay ends up being more immersive than too much steamy detail...

By the way: no pre-order discount for PC gamers, that's often how it feels for console gamers too. ;)

22. Suryaaji#2369

What a monster !!! Would be a nice addition to Sherman Hill alongside with the UPRR 844 4-8-4 FEF

23. OldVern

Somehow I don't think that would fit between Crewe and Liverpool.

Isn't there already a thread for non UK SoS wishes?

• Like Like x 1
  24. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Mate they are talking about the Union Pacific big boy for sherman hill in the future

• Like Like x 1
  25. OldVern

My point being this thread is specifically about the 31st May release which is the UK incarnation, :).

26. Suryaaji#2369

I'm just admired Mr. Sparmi work because he showed me. I've no intention to change the course if this thread. Maybe he showed me the Big Boy render because my DTG Forum profile signature using one of it. Just calm.

27. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

A thread that stays on topic? You’re in the wrong place :D

There are also about five of these release date discussions on the forum plus updates to older threads about SoS that are talking about the release date now and DTG even put an official thread up, fancy that.

• Like Like x 7
  28. OldVern

Could do with a bit of thread merging really, but then you have the discussions in the various console forums. :) :)

• Like Like x 2
  29. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

That's correct, I saw the Big Boy side view in your signiture and thought it was determined for this steam related thread. The words: "Can't wait for this!" also met my wish for a future steam locomotive DLC. So it was more of a misunderstanding, but I'm aslo very curious about this first steam route, like everyone else. ;)

I'm sorry if it seems to others like burst in.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

WARNING: BUG THREADS INCOMING

(Get your popcorn and block buttons ready for this upcoming comedy sketch)