Processor Upgrade

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by tircsi.peter, May 10, 2022.

1. tircsi.peter

tircsi.peter New Member

Hi,
    as there are no comparable benchmarks available for Train Sim World 2 with different processor generations I was wondering whether it makes sense to upgrade a Ryzen 3900x to a Ryzen 5800x/5900x/5800x3d (using a 2070s) to get more fps on densely populated areas, like cities and train stations where I get 24-30fps with 50-60% GPU usage.

I suppose some of this is coming from the Unreal engine capabilities, some from the 16-16MB L3 cache separation inside a CCD, but can I get more fps with the increased IPC, boost clock and the merged 32MB L3 cache of a Ryzen 5xxx series with the same graphics card? Not to mention the 96MB L3 of the 5800x3d.

Thanks for the answers.

2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

You would likely see about a 20-25% uplift in CPU bound areas if you moved to Zen3, but 25% more than 24 FPS is still only 30 FPS. The question is, is that worth the cost to you?

Where are you getting 24 FPS with a 3900X? I have an older CPU that has worse gaming performance (Xeon W-2150B) and I still manage 30+ in the most demanding of areas like Hagen yard or Dresden.

Cheers

3. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

I'm getting 74 (fps lock) 95% of time except some large stations with lots of trains where it might dip to 50-60 fps on a Ryzen 3600 at 1080p Ultra. I am running DX12 but even on DX11 there is no way you should have under 40 fps in worse case scenarios, even my old ryzen 1600 never dropped under 35 with 60 most of the time.
    Something is wrong with drivers , TSW config or your pc, that CPU should be overkill for TSW.
    Try running with the -dx12 command and see if you see improvements.
    Also hope you are not on Windows 11 since it had major performance issues with AMD CPU's

4. tircsi.peter

tircsi.peter New Member

I run it with custom unreal config to have more visual eye candy (I hate the lod of trees loading when they are damn near) and more passengers. Running under Windows 11, DX11, 3840x1080. With this I get 60+fps all the time, for most of the train stations around 40-50fps and there are some, like the Hagen yard around 30fps for the outside view. Once I saw 24fps, but I do not remember which DLC it was.
    Without those Unreal tweaks below I get 55-60fps at Hagen as well.

Engine.ini
    [SystemSettings]
    r.ViewDistanceScale=10
    r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.2
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=7
    foliage.DensityScale=1.0
    grass.densityScale=1.0
    r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-5
    r.MaterialQualityLevel=0
    r.MaterialQualityLevel=0
    r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
    r.HighQualityLightMaps=1
    r.DefaultFeature.Bloom=0
    r.BloomQuality=0
    r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=0
    r.MotionBlurQuality=0
    r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
    r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
    r.TextureStreaming=0
    r.Color.Max=1.0
    r.Color.Mid=0.6
    r.Color.Min=0.0
    r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
    r.TemporalAASharpness=1.0
    r.TemporalAASamples=64
    r.TemporalAAFilterSize=1.0
    r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
    r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
    r.Streaming.HLODStrategy=2
    r.Streaming.UseFixedPoolSize=1
    r.Streaming.PoolSize=0
    r.Streaming.FramesForFullUpdate=0
    r.SkylightIntensityMultiplier=0.9

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
    r.TextureStreaming=0
    ts2.passenger.DensityScale=4
    ts2.save.CheckpointsEnabled=0

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  5. tircsi.peter

tircsi.peter New Member

I tried DX12 now and turned down some of the settings in the Engine.ini and it bumped up the fps significantly (to around 50-55fps in Hagen and 45-55fps in the yard of Hamburg) with around 80% GPU usage. Based on these settings the 20-25% boost would get me to around 60fps in theory with an 5800x, but maybe it doesn't worth the cost and losing 8 threads from a 3900x.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dbrunner#4864

Well I'm glad the DX12 trick gained you some extra performance, in some cases you get 20fps more and that is a lot. TSW2 favours fast cores and the 5800x would bring some more fps to the table but I don't know it's worth the investment right now. You already have a very strong CPU and I bet all other high end games run flawless on it.
    It's your choice at the end, would rather buy a SSD if you don't have one already to reduce that anoing TSW stutter when loading new tiles. Also keep in mind that TSW optimization still needs some work especially in DX11, you will always have some fps drops in crowded areas.
    Play some more routes with DX12 and than make a decision if overall it runs good enough now to enjoy it or you want to invest in another CPU for maybe 15-20% gain.

7. tircsi.peter

tircsi.peter New Member

Thanks for the help, it is already running on a fast SSD (970 EVO Plus NVMe), so it is really the CPU which is kind of bottlenecking the game at these areas. It would be so good if this game would be added to some of the benchmarks on the internet when they are testing new generations of CPUs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dbrunner#4864

Find benchmarks with games using Unreal engine. That should help to approximate performance in TSW.

9. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

These numbers seem really low for the CPU you are running so I would look for other issues first (even my R5 3600 is an absolute overkill).

If you bring up task manager and set the display to individual cores, are any of them getting pinned at 100%?
    If you download HWMonitor and look at the tempreature of CPU and GPU, are they under 80 degrees or so and are the clocks around the advertised specifications?
    Are the graphics card drivers working properly? Try to remove them with a driver uninstaller and install a clean copy from Nvidia's website.

10. 5cip

5cip Active Member

i testes many drivers and from what i read and tested by myself is the 472.84 the best driver for unreal games so far.
    but get sure to use ddu first before installng a new one.

11. tircsi.peter

tircsi.peter New Member

Yes, everything is fine, the game is running with the custom Engine.ini (static and skeletal LOD scaling impacts a lot the GPU performance), 130% screen resolution scaling (so that is already giving up 30% of the GPU power, but it looks way better on the 32:9 monitor with it), Utlra quality with TAA.

CPU is around 58-61 degrees (fixed at 4150Ghz all core, 1.2V), 60-80% for some of the cores, 10-40% for others but it really depends on where I am on the map.
    Limited to run on one CCD with Project Lasso - measured it and that is the best for this game, not to use both CCDs, fps is a bit more with using only 6 cores not to move around data between the L3 caches too much.

GPU is around 63-65 degrees with 70-100% load depending on the scenery. Clock is around 1950-2000 Mhz for Core (overclocked by +100MHz), memory overclocked by 500Mhz. So everything seems okay.

See screenshots with the following Engine.ini.
    [SystemSettings]
    r.ViewDistanceScale=1
    r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.4
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=5
    foliage.DensityScale=1.0
    grass.densityScale=1.0
    r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-5
    r.MaterialQualityLevel=0
    r.MaterialQualityLevel=0
    r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
    r.HighQualityLightMaps=1
    r.DefaultFeature.Bloom=0
    r.BloomQuality=0
    r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=0
    r.MotionBlurQuality=0
    r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
    r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
    r.TextureStreaming=0
    r.Color.Max=1.0
    r.Color.Mid=0.6
    r.Color.Min=0.0
    r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
    r.TemporalAASharpness=1.0
    r.TemporalAASamples=64
    r.TemporalAAFilterSize=1.0
    r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
    r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
    r.Streaming.HLODStrategy=2
    r.Streaming.UseFixedPoolSize=1
    r.Streaming.PoolSize=0
    r.Streaming.FramesForFullUpdate=0
    r.SkylightIntensityMultiplier=0.9

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
    r.TextureStreaming=0
    ts2.passenger.DensityScale=4
    ts2.save.CheckpointsEnabled=0

[WindowsApplication.Accessibility]
    StickyKeysHotkey=True
    ToggleKeysHotkey=True
    FilterKeysHotkey=True
    StickyKeysConfirmation=True
    ToggleKeysConfirmation=True
    FilterKeysConfirmation=True
    TSW2.jpg

When I run the game without the Engine.ini and 100% screen resolution scaling, the fps numbers go way up.
    TSW2_default_ini_100percent.jpg

12. Callum B.

Since you're using a 32:9 aspect ratio monitor, you are making draw calls to your CPU for twice the FoV of objects than a regular 16:9 monitor. It's worth saying that such a configuration (very high Engine.ini tweaks + 32:9 monitor) would stress even the very latest of CPUs in yards and other dense areas, be it an R7 5800X3D, or an i9-12900KS. That's more a reflection of the poor optimisation of TSW than of the power of the hardware.
    The tracks in this game are quite heavy, so areas with lots of parallel tracks tend to run the worst. Try decreasing the amount of polygons you are seeing on screen at any given time (especially turn down the skeletal and static mesh LODs and see how that helps).

Cheers

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  13. apuntsel#2716

apuntsel#2716 New Member

Hi All,

Sorry if this is off topic, I'm looking at maybe getting a newer gaming laptop and was trying to find out if TSW2 is more CPU intensive or GPU intensive. I was considering a few different options here in the US. One being an all AMD laptop with Ryzen 9 5900HX CPU with Radeon RX 6800m GPU which has 12GB video memory 1920x1080 resolution with 300Hz refresh rate. Next option is an Intel Core i9 11900H with Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 with 6GB video memory has a 2560x1600 resolution with DLSS and Ray Tracing and 165 Hz refresh rate and lastly an AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 with 8GB video memory 1920x1080 resolution with 360Hz refresh rate.

Thanks in advance.

14. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I'm just upgrading my PC and was going for an AMD but with talk about possible problems with AMD and nVidia graphics card I switched to intel. I have read before that because of DTG's poor optimisation in TSW2 memory can play a part also. I wonder if people think 16 GB, 32 GB, or 64 GB would improve the running of the game?

• Like Like x 1
  15. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

I run TSW2 on a ~1 month old Lenovo Legion 5i Pro, i'd say it's about mid range+ for a gaming laptop.

specs:
    i7 12700H
    16 GB DDR5-4800MHz ram
    RTX 3070Ti GFX card (8Gb DDR6)
    165Hz screen... native is 2K resolution, G-sync etc
    one of those M.2 2280 1 gig ssd's and so on...

The CPU will sit at about 20% usage when running TSW2, with 2 of the power cores sitting at about 80-%, but the others and all the E cores sit pretty much idle (every setting in TSW2 is on ultra or as high as it'll go) the GPU will run at ~90% if i run it at 165Hz, i'll get 100 fps 90% of the time, often more, sometimes dipping to where the fps digits go red, fans are screaming away as the GPU is running at 125+ watts

But i quickly learnt to put it in 60Hz mode, and limit it to 60fps (it's a driving sim not a fast paced shooter after all)
    So now the GPU will pull about 80 watts and around 75% usage. and the fans are now low enough to actually hear the sounds without needing headphones (volume is at about 75% mind... gaming laptops make a lot of fan noise, a lot of heat in a small space to get rid of fast)

With either extremes memory usage is never more than about 12 gigs.. that's for the whole system, and about 4 to 5 gigs of that is crap that is running in the background,

Of course i still get the micro stutters, i've faffed about with lots of engine.ini / gameusersettings .ini tweaks, and if i can get one route to run pretty smooth, the next route i try will be stuttering like mad.

So i've given up on that for now, as i am spending most of my time 3D printing my set of German train driving controls,

but it does seem that no matter how strong a system you get it will not be able to run this game smoothly on all routes, but thats an optimization thing with the core game code.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Callum B.

All of those CPUs will run TSW2 fine. Pick the one with the best GPU or build quality. AMD CPUs will generally net you better battery life than Intel during general web browsing or video playback use. I have a laptop with a R9 5900HS and RTX 3070 and have no issues with conflicting drivers.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1