Summer Release - Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, May 11, 2022.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Now that Steam will shortly be on the way, what do we think the next ‘big’ release for TSW 2 will be for this Summer?

Last year we were presented with a ‘Rush Hour’ route bundle, albeit it was delayed quite a few months. Will we have another ‘themed’ pack coming along this year?

Interested to know your thoughts. Speculate ahead!

• Like Like x 8
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

A new bundle. The new upcomming routes (German & USA), both steamed, plus the upcomming UK one.
    So, some kind of Spirit of Steam 3-pack bundle. BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2022
  3. speedy2972

speedy2972 Active Member

I agree with breblimator, but I don't think it'll be exclusively steam.
    I would also like to see at least one of the major projects such as BML, DRA crashes released, I doubt Xbox audio will be improved, maybe it's planned perhaps for Christmas or (more likely) summer 2023.
    If we don't see one of those issues addressed in the summer update, I personally wouldn't be disappointed or surprised. These are MAJOR issues so I would like to see them done well not quickly.
    On the plus side it's good to see they're acknowledging our concerns and are fixing them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Has a summer release even been confirmed in any way?
    I mean sure, TS Classics and TSW both always had some kind of big-summer-bundle-like release. But SoS coming with the beginning of June, then DTG will have a longer break with no frist party releases - sure they'll of course work on new content in that time as well (at least for the new german and US routes, which both will not release before the break ends) - so i highly doubt we'll have the classic summer release. More like an autumn-release if they do the bundle at all. Maybe it's Liverpool-Crewe, the new german and the new US route. But from a marketing perspective, it's probably smarter to release them standalone. Also all the people who bought SoS just some months before would feel some kind discomfort, seeing the new route + 2 more routes for the same prize, so i doubt that Liverpool-Crewe would be part of that bundle release.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

The summer release will be patching Spirit of Steam that will be inevitably released half baked as usual.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 11
  6. matinakbary

Thanks for your constructive take, mate!

• Like Like x 5
  7. Jinoss17

You're welcome. Just stating facts.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Bigphil1592

Bigphil1592 New Member

I don't personally think there will be a big summer release. I think the farce of last years Rush Hour release and the amount of time that Spirit of Steam has been in development for will stop anything significant.

I think this summer's release will be similar to the move from TSW to TSW2020 in that they'll release a big core update along with a bundle of already existing routes and a 'new route' that can be purchased separately.

• Like Like x 6
  9. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Agree with others that there's probably enough content out there now that they'll bundle SoS with a German and US route, particularly given lessons learned from RH release.

Obviously I'm just spitballing as I have no insider knowledge or anything of how DTG works but I think it would be better for them to focus on just increasing the depth and breadth of content (I'm definitely flogging this dead horse now but loco DLCs among others).

• Like Like x 2
  10. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

If we do see a summer update together with a bundle, I don't think it will be as groundbreaking as the engine change from last year. I suspect it will at most be some quality of life upgrades and bug fixes, and maybe, just maybe a fix for the save game feature that DTG seems to pay increasing amounts of attention to. What the routes would be, no idea, perhaps a bundle of already released routes if they don't have enough time to create 3 new routes for a summer release.

The only big shiny new feature I could conjure up is route mergers/extensions. Last year around this time Riesa - Dresden was released for TS classic, with it following a few months later in the summer update for TSW. This year Leipzig - Riesa has been released for TS classic as a route that can merge with Riesa - Dresden. Following that pattern we might see it for the TSW summer update. What could reinforce this theory is that as of late more words have been spoken on streams about route mergers. So perhaps we'll see something like that.

But honestly there's no way of telling what DTG's internal planning is. I expect a modest summer update with perhaps a modest bundle to go along with it at best as DTG does seem rathere busy with the content already on the roadmap for now. It all depends on how quickly the German and US route on the roadmap at this moment are released after spirit of steam, but even at a rate of one per month it will be the beginning of august before they've finished that, leaving little time for the month or two of silence we usually have before the summer update.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Only one problem with that: Matt confirmed that the upcoming German route is not steam related.

Personally, I don't think there'll be a big summer release. They may do something like a new bundle (of existing routes) and maybe some more minor quality of life updates but I don't see how they'd have the time to do another Rush-Hour-like bundle given the focus on SoS and the downtime afterwards. Another thing to consider is the way Rush Hour was received. While I particularly love DRA and never had any serious problems with it, it's pretty much undeniable that the launch of Rush Hour was anything but smooth, not to mention the pre-release issues of delays coupled with cut content and a price hike. I'm not sure if DTG really want to risk repeating that.

• Like Like x 3
  12. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

My personal pure speculation is that the "huge" GWE upgrade will turn out to be an extension or adding the branches along with a thorough makeover. That's why nothing has been said about a new UK route (other than Scouse Steam) in any roadmap or stream, essentially being an existing route being refurbished. Maybe they'll throw in a 165, too.

• Like Like x 4
  13. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

I largely agree with all the posts above me. Something tells me that there really wouldn't be much of a summer release this year and that's perfectly fine!
    What TSW2 does NEED are plenty of quality-of-life upgrades. I think it is about time that the UI gets a revisit and have appropriate changes made to it (and boy, are there plenty!)
    Those preserved collection upgrades should really start to come out as well.

TSW is sitting at a point where there is a decent selection of content now, and older routes should get brought up to the same standards as the new routes coming out.

• Like Like x 12
  14. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

As I said in another future prediction post, the next two routes will not be steam (German and American).

Summer update I expect it to be a Steam Rush hour like pack, with possibly 1 US and 1 German steam route, and for the UK they either add something to Liverpool (and perhaps WCL), possibly Loco DLC with some new coaches and/or wagons as well or they develop another route, but it seems unlikely.

Perhaps we might see a dispatcher core update, but I fear that's too optimistic.

Also fingers crossed for a better UI and Diorama, at the very least reverting back to before rush hour...

EDIT/P.S.
    Just to clarify, the fixes they talked about FROM WHAT I UNDERSTOOD will take place after Liverpool and before and maybe right after the summer release, IMO the German and American route are not as far away as they seem and they both might be released in June, at latest early July, which leaves them with 1 and a half month to finally release the fixes we are waiting for, but they aren't the "summer release"

• Like Like x 1
  15. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

DTG have already stated the new routes won't be steam

• Like Like x 3
  16. speedy2972

speedy2972 Active Member

If Joe upgrades the GWE timetable beyond the Gen 9 and PC they may have no choice but to build the 165, only 21 were made, take away the branch line services (Reading to Basingstoke, Reading to Gatwick, Twyford to Henley, Maidenhead to Marlow, Slough to Windsor and the Greenford train), leaves 15, plus the AI traffic to Bedwyn, Oxford and beyond. Is there enough 166's??????

• Like Like x 1
  17. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

No. the 166's were primarily intended for the longer distance local services plus the North Downs. You would also need the allocation of 2 car and 3 car 165's to represent the suburban and branch line trains. Greenford would be a 2 car 165 and the Down platform at Bourne End (for Marlow) can also only take a 2 car set.

18. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

My brainstorm:
    • Big winter release instead? There's likely no enough time to make three new routes by the end of summer.
    • A base game update incorporating something new like dynamic weather, similar to last year's rush hour passenger update.
    • Some loco DLCs or expansions for the rush hour routes, which if optimised better could allow for more services.
    • A shorter modern UK route which would take less time to develop, to tide us over until a bigger route appears.
    • A package of existing routes, possibly containing a new route, as a summer bundle similar to TSC or TSW2020.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

As usual people commenting without addressing the structure of the game or the dev teams

The "big summer update/release" usually comes in two parts, the core game update and a bunch of three DLC
    So to address this I would look at the core game improvements (such as that awful station graphic when choosing your train, or HUD tweaks) as a separate item to the expected DLC. Last year these were the UE engine update, new station graphic, new passenger clothing and walking style and dioramas (remember them?)

If we take that logically then DLC (of which we likely already know about two, the German and US routes already announced) the next route announced should be a UK one and these would form the TSW2-23 bundle (or summer releases)

We know (because Matt and Adam have told us on various streams) that there are more than one route building team (and the SoS route is principally complete) so the other one(s) have likely been working on other routes for some weeks as well as any fixes that require the route team's talents (on top of Adam's team's working)
    They also have a few engine artists and at least one engineer, and if SoS is complete then these would have jumped onto other things (if they hadn't been working on two or three things in parallel anyway)

For me this means it's very likely there WILL be a new bundle of routes in three month's time and it's likely to be one US, one DE and one UK route as usual, at least two of which are already in production

• Like Like x 3
  20. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I'd quite happily pay for a GWE expansion with the Greenford, Windsor, Marlow and Henley branches including a Class 165, but that's likely the equivalent amount of work as a new route, especially if updating/modernising the base GWE route as well.

• Like Like x 2
  21. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not sure that many people would discern the difference between a 165 and 166 in game to be fair. Especially the 165/1 which is rated for the same linespeed. Only difference I can see from pics is that the 166 has carpeted floors for soundproofing on longer runs and the seats are a different colour (same shape though)

• Like Like x 1
  22. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Maybe instead of route release 3 loco dlc? I think a lot of people would be in agreement SOS does need some form of tank engine/local service and shunter? Maybe a Jinty or 4mt tank plus theres a wealth of other locos that could be be added to current routes like the class 700 and obviously American and German locos.

I like the idea of an expansion but they said doing an extension to a route like GWE would mean there may be a stark contrast between original route and new section quality and things would need rebuilding extensively.

None the less interesting to speculate and I hope they do it!

• Like Like x 2
  23. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I remember that on the resent SoS stream, when JD mentioned the new German route, I have a feeling it was mentioned that there would be nothing new that hasn’t been announced for some time.

24. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I’d be happy with a basic Train Sim Classic type of summer update, having new base routes for new players.

I wonder what existing routes would fit well for a new bundle. Personally, I think Sherman Hill, Riesa-Dresden, and Southeastern High Speed would make a great bundle. A good amount of variety containing US heavy freight, UK high speed and commuter, and a German goodie bag full of variety.

All of the new stuff could be through updates for existing players. Perhaps some preservation updates to make some routes a bit more nice and shiny (hopefully).

And of course, the most exciting part of the summer update, a new UI. Please, anything to get rid of the current terrible UI.

• Like Like x 4
  25. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

How can it be a fact if it hasn't even been released yet?!

• Like Like x 2
  26. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

This is a bugbear of mine and have mentioned it before. I have seen in the course of one journey class 166's with the same set number. If they had the choice of making a class 165 or 166 surely the 165 would have been the obvious choice.

I am not convinced there will be a big summer realease this year, I think SOS has burnt them out and they seem to be intent on fixing bugs which is very welcome.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

i thought they said there would be an extended period of no new DLC type releases, or something like that,

after spirit of steam they will be working on fixing things in existing releases, the core engine and so on?

I really hope that is what they do, sort out the stutters / micro pauses, sort out the sound issues, allow us to enjoy the existing DLC we've paid for properly.

• Like Like x 2
  28. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If there is a revamp of the UI this time, and there does need to be, I would hope that care is taken in its design and that it is rigorously play tested on all platforms so the garbage elements of the current UI that we have been living with for this cycle aren’t repeated. I’m not bothered whether there are new routes in a bundle to be honest but Rush Hour was a bargain so I’d probably snap it up if they repeated that near giveaway of content whatever it contained. I’d expect the PS5 DLC limit fix to be included in the release as I’m not hopeful it will be released before then and it may be incorporated into all platforms to help with memory use too.

• Like Like x 4
  29. Jinoss17

Previous evidence.

• Like Like x 1
  30. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I’d be happy to see some rush hour locomotive Dlc package such as the Hsp46 locomotive with the bilevel coach’s for the MBta Boston sprinter route and the Worcester/Framingham line.

31. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

Last time when they announced something for the summer it was delivered in Autumn.
    Imagine the delivery time when they have not announced anything for the summer so close to it.

Joke aside, they said they want to fix things first. Hopefully it´s a summer dedicated to reflect and improve and it wasn´t said in vain.

• Like Like x 1
  32. matinakbary

[removed by Protagonist - unnecessarily argumentative]

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  33. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

Am quite surprised the steam route is not part of the summer release given how many years it's taken to develop

Not Southern or south Eastern something new.
    Hearts of Wales line
    Sheffield to Leeds section with Doncaster , Barnsley , Swinton to Leeds.
    Lots of Northern action at Meadowhall , option to include cross country DLC.
    Gives the player an option of Fast and slow services via different paths.

Or Carlisle to Newcastle
    Or Lancaster to Carlisle via the coast

34. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

I think it's going to be a pack of existing routes + 1 new route (the German or US one, probably). Similar to TSW2020 with Peninsula Corridor.
    DTG will most likely use the release window to push a heap of fixes as they stated they will focus on this after the release of SoS.
    And we are probably going to see the hinted "secret feature" with the summer release.

• Like Like x 1
  35. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I think as some here have already said that it will just be a core update with some improvements and fixes. In terms of routes it will probably be something simiar to tsw2020 in which existing routes will be part of the core along with perhaps one new route which would benefit new players. I don't really see the point of releasing three brand new routes again considering that rush hour was delayed in order for the quality and performance to be good only for it released in a very bad state. Heck many issues that have plagued rush hour have yet to be fixed. DTG need to focus on fixes and improvements to existing routes that we paid for. It's good that they will be once Spirt Of Steam releases.

Hopefully they will improve the god-awful UI. The person who designed the one we have now must have the same talent as Patrick Star to be honest.

• Like Like x 2
  36. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Probably nothing exciting in terms of content.

• Like Like x 1
  37. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

For the German Route I might see this as Bamberg Hof 127 km 79 mi. Electric locomotives to Hochstadt Am Main for Frankenwald Bahn Hochstadt Am Main to Ludwigsstadt the former West German Border Station. Diesel and Steam locomotives Hochstadt Am Main Hof via Schife Ebene. Eventually reaching Dresden if the missing Hof Reichenbach Chemnitz Hilbersdorf section 145 km

38. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Now that Steam is out there, I can see a few Steam loco dlcs for UK but not necessarily the route. Think the route after SOS will be Diesel or AC for the UK.

39. BlaringHorn

BlaringHorn Well-Known Member

Does there need to be some "big" summer release? Didn't they just say they'll spend a couple of months releasing the preservation crew updates and fixing issues. And they haven't even released the steam route yet and who knows what issues that will have?

• Like Like x 1
  40. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

They kinda do need to do a summer release

41. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

From the past livestreams, they've said that after Spirit of Steam they will be focusing more on fixes from the Preserve Crew list on the Roadmap during the Summer, before the next German Route.
    So I would not be expecting the next route to be announced until 3-4 months from now, or until summer is over for them to get back to making new routes before the end of the year.

• Like Like x 2
  42. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

This is debatable

• Like Like x 1
  43. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

The summer release will be SoS - Summer of Sound.
    It will include new realistic sounds for all vehicles released so far.

• Like Like x 2
  44. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

I think focusing on fixes for the immediate foreseeable future is the best Summer news we could have hoped for.

• Like Like x 1
  45. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I think Spirit of Steam is this year's "biggest" release - DTG put in a lot of work to bring steam traction into TSW2, it's a big deal regardless of what individual opinions on steam locomotives are. I'm not expecting any major releases on the level of Rush Hour/Spirit of Steam until next year. This is a good thing!

This upcoming quiet period where fixes will take priority is much needed - bring old content fully up to scratch, fix the PS5 DLC limit / Xbox Sounds, optimise the core to improve general game performance, etc.

Why not call it, Train Sim World 2: Track Maintenance? ;)

Edit: I'm not seriously suggesting DTG call it that, just having a bit of fun!

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  46. matinakbary

Says who?

• Like Like x 1
  47. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Says the accountants, summer is the quietest period for games, people go away/spend more times out doors so less likely to buy games. To keep the cash register ringing you need a big new shiny release.

• Like Like x 2
  48. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

For me, this years summer release will be a much needed focus on getting the overall game up to a good standard. No more building on wonky foundations and fixing things that have desperately needed fixing for an awfully long time. It will do a lot to restore faith in the game. Just some of the things I would like to see resolved:
    • Rush hour performance improvements.
    • Boston Sprinter scenario improvements (better timings, etc).
    • Boston Sprinter signalling (ACSES/ATC improvements).
    • Signalling improvements on Riesa Dresden.
    • Better stop markers for the Riesa Dresden extension.
    • In cab sound improvements on London Commuter so we can have the windows open.
    • Third rail collision removed from London Commuter.
    • The correct number of collectables being validated on each route so that there aren’t too many of some and not enough of others and that every collectable is collectable.
    • Medals counting towards overall total on secondary timetables.
    • Medals being achievable.
    • Trains counting the correct mileage towards overall mileage on all routes.
    • Better UI
    • Having ‘snap to’ or similar precision control when trying to manipulate small switches or on screen buttons using the controller on PS5.
    • Better night lighting, maybe with the option of having moon phase settings.
    I could spend hours on this list.

• Like Like x 8
  49. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Might I ask what you’re referring to exactly? I can’t remember any signalling errors on DRA from the top of my head.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

I doubt there being a big summer release tbh. Just pure speculation from me...

Late Summer : Perhaps a steam related locomotive

September/October : Possibly one new UK Route. Major QoL feature annoncement perhaps? Route is Northern based?

Dec/Jan : UK loco DLC

Spring 2023 : Flying Scotsman DLC to co-incide with centenary.

(I can't really guess on US/DE stuff. But DTG seem to be whittling down their A/B/C route devs from the previous 9 or so months required for a route.)

• Like Like x 3