Trans Pennine Route

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dhamiltongrey, Aug 31, 2018.

1. dhamiltongrey

dhamiltongrey New Member

Good morning

My 7 year old boy is asking me if there is a trans pennine route for train simulator. Does this exist as a DLC

Looking forward to your responses

Kindest regards

David and son Dylan

• Like Like x 1
  2. hightower

hightower Guest

It doesn’t. I’ve requested it in the route suggestions at least twice, as have others. I don’t understand the total lack of content for Northern England....here’s hoping it’s where a good chunk of new content is focussed going forward.

The closest you’ll get to that part of the world is Vulcan Productions excellent ‘Harrogate Loop’ but be aware, it requires a fair amount of DLC to work correctly.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2018
  3. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

There was a project over at UKTrainSim to do the main Transpennine route and a couple of the minor routes of the Transpennine Network, set in the early 2000s, but that project folded some years ago I think, despite having advanced pretty far.

4. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Not entirely true- there's Settle-Carlisle and ECML-N- both are arguably a bit long in the tooth now, in fact ECML-N certainly is, but worth having and the S&C still looks pretty good. Then there's Weardale and Teesdale in the '60s which is just great and the updated Woodhead not to mention the original which I do have and like very much. (OK- Manchester and Sheffield aren't really in northern England but they think they are so those two get in on a technicality.) It's not quite an embarrassment of riches but it ain't nothing.

I, BTW, would very much like to see a trans-Pennine route. I'd really like to see the Weardale and Teesdale extended to include the line to Tebay- if you're impressed by Lands viaduct on Cockfield Fell Belah will blow your socks off. There are suggestions in threads elsewhere for the Newcastle-Carlisle line (which would be a lovely drive as is but backdate it a bit it could include Tyneside industry and some branches) and the Newcastle Metro (much of which is based on the extensive network of NER built lines so again interesting as-is but also back-dated).

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I think you need a Geography lesson. Manchester and Sheffield are in Northern England. Manchester to the border with Scotland is around 125 miles but just under 200 miles to London.

Peter
    in Manchester

6. JJTimothy

Maybe I should have put a ;) there but I thought it was obvious.

I know at least where Manchester is because because I've been there a few times. It's not that far from Liverpool where my mother is from and we went there many more times visiting my grandfather. It takes hours to get to either and it's south west all the way.

Tim
    in County Durham
    (about 80 miles further north than Manchester)

PS: ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. hightower

hightower Guest

Just for completeness, obviously we’ve got the East and West Coast Mainlines, Settle Carlisle and a bit of the North East. That said, there is a complete absence of anything from Manchester heading East, and anything really that’s Yorkshire / Lincolnshire related. I really hope it’s on the agenda!

James
    From Yorkshire (but no longer living there)
    :D

8. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

I'd like to see some northern content too and the primary reason we've not been there a great deal, particularly for modern-era routes, is all to do with licensing. The former Northern Trains licence holder were not very co-operative and we weren't able to obtain an appropriate licence. However, the new licence holder has granted us a licence so I'd imagine we'll be seeing some northern content coming to Train Simulator at some point in the not-too-distant future (I hope!)

Best, Steve
    from County Durham (but no longer living there) ;)

• Like Like x 7
  9. hightower

hightower Guest

That is fantastic news Steve...happy happy days!

10. JJTimothy

Was that you with Derek Siddle at Shildon when the Weardale and Teesdale was launched?

11. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

No I don't think I was there for that one JJTimothy

Best, Steve

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That must be down south as they have third rail electrics :D
    Screenshot_Weardale Electric_54.78072--1.58048_08-22-42.jpg

13. JJTimothy

Hah! You jest but there's one of these (looking very smart in brown and cream) on the Weardale Railway not half an hour from here. I'm not sure of the sense of it- I suppose she's as big and impressive as other main line B0B0s but the small engine is enough for light railway speeds and makes her cheaper to run. The Weardale BTW is the line from Bishop Auckland to Stanhope (see the Weardale and Teesdale DLC) though it may yet get to Eastgate.

I was trying to come up with a joke about her looking particularly out of place in winter because the other loco's still wear tee-shirts but it all got a bit strained. I'm just an honorary northerner BTW- born and raised in the West Midlands.

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

15. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

The Weardale route is marvelous if you're wanting some classic northern action. A really atmospheric network and great for a potter about.

16. DeanO55

DeanO55 Member

There are some more too, Northern Rails is one, Liv to Man, a few routes with Carlisle, Newc to Edin, DPS York to Newc, the one with all the steel works that I can't think of the name and a few more I just can't think of right now.
    So I'd say the north has been very well looked after in TS over the years but us poor guys in the midlands have very little.

17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1