Will They Add An Njt Route For Tsw?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by trainmasteraiden, Apr 29, 2022.

1. trainmasteraiden

trainmasteraiden Active Member

Does anyone know will they add NJT Route for TSW2 Roadmap Update On May 3rd?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Will they add a NJT route to TSW? Most likely. Will it be on the next road map? I doubt it.

• Like Like x 5
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I'm going to about it. Their first route should be the RVL Raritan Valley Line since it has an unique service pattern Off peak weekdays High Bridge/ Raritan to NY Penn Mode switch Newark Penn . Rush Hours High Bridge/Raritan-Newark ALP-45DP

• Like Like x 1
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Eventually, since DTG have obtained a license from NJT (for TS). To date the only commuter lines in the US for which they have licenses are the ones already in game: MTA, MBTA and Caltrain, so New Jersey is a likely candidate, unless they can scare up a license from, say, SEPTA, MARC or Metra.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  5. w2sjw

w2sjw Active Member

I have to disagree with RVL - even though it's the line that runs right through my hometown, the Morristown or Montclair-Boonton line should be a solid candidate to showcase the power switchover of the ALP-45DP at Dover.

• Like Like x 1
  6. driverwoods#1787

Okay then how about train simulator classic North Jersey Coastline ALP-45DP at Long Branch Mode switch for New York Penn Station. My mother's friend uses Avenel railway station as a regular user when my mom worked in Manhattan. Pure electric action Northeast Corridor Trenton NYC.
    These take 30-50 min one of these is the 3:25 (15:25) New Brunswick to New York Penn Express
    RVL great route for those that want NJ Transit Diesel action PL42AC but cannot run on Atlantic City line due to vibrations. Mode Change ALP-45DP occurs at Newark Penn an example is the 10:48 NY Penn 12:26 Annandale 12:36 High Bridge

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  7. Felix Costa

Felix Costa Member

I'm just curious,
    Is it necessary to get a license to create a route?
    For example I may get in trouble if I create a route but use different names for commuter/freight brands?

8. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

It's somewhat possible, but the line separating what's legal from what's not is very very thin and rather blurry, so ultimately this is a big risk.

The gist for how DTG usually goes about this is to obtain licensing rights directly from a TOC (Train Operating Company), who of course operates the line/route in the real world. Usually just this alone is enough, as it can cover certain branding and the trains they operate. The benefit of having a relationship with a TOC is huge, but most of all it can (sometimes) allow really good access to certain things, like timetables or technical specifications for trains, things like that.

If one were to bypass this entire step and just go straight into creating a route, well, it'll be like trying to maneuver through a minefield in a legal sense. Certain buildings can be copyrighted, branding, logos, ads, the trains themselves. They would all have to be some fictional work that you created yourself.
    And of course the biggest hurdle from all this, is that your player base will have to be okay with that. Often the case is that it's not. People heavily prefer actual branding with the things that are there in the real world being there in the game world as well. Otherwise it's just seen as cheaping out.

There was even a point where DTG came out and admitted that they once had a route DLC that was getting ready for release, with all the legal stuff being worked out while simultaneously the route was being developed. And it turned out that they weren't able to get the licensing at the last minute, meaning that the whole project had to be canceled.
    It indeed goes to show just how important that licensing is taken when it comes to simulators.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Generally nobody cares as long as you aren't making money out of it and therfore making money out of using the branding.

10. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

What’s a NJT route?

11. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

New Jersey transit like the ratain valley line or north Jersey coast line.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

Probably eventually, and I'll probably call out from work the day it comes out. I'm all about the ALP-45DP.

• Like Like x 1
  13. driverwoods#1787

Which route? For me the RVL because my mom was on one yesterday RVL 5197 10:48 NY Penn 00:26 Annandale 00:36 High Bridge mode switch Newark Penn Station where it's there at 23:08 using the UK Europe 24 hour clock format for Railway instead of the US Canada English speaking part 12 hour clock format.

14. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Imo, if and when DTG does do a NJT route, I would expect the 1st route to be a joint operation with the NEC reusing the ACS64, and 1 of NJTs locos. Then a later route would be NJT only with the one Loco reused with another new loco on side, at least based on DTGs recent record of only including 1 new Loco in recent releases...

• Like Like x 1