Just Decided Against My Better Judgment To Try Sand Patch Grade

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by The_Drunken_Engineer, May 16, 2022.

1. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

And, of course, I derail going about 25 km, 2 km away from finishing the hour and twenty minute slog, fully knowing something stupid would 'derail' me from finishing this.

Yep, 25 km is realistic enough to derail on any rail network. Yep. Truly realistic.. how does one derail going under the speed limit? Mind-boggling.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You will have derailed either on a manual junction that’s set incorrectly or by bouncing your train around with poor driving technique. Speed isn’t the only thing that can derail you.

• Like Like x 4
  3. The_Drunken_Engineer

But it wasn't speed. I know I've screwed up and made a hash of things before but the reason I posted this is because of how flagrant this was. Never have I done the speed limit and derailed until now. I think the East Coastway DLC had derailment problems but I was surprised to see it on the core game route. It was the first time I derailed going under the speed limit and all respect due, I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything wrong. I was literally going under 30 kms per hour.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s what I was saying, it isn’t always about speed. There is a bug that can randomly ping you off the tracks but it’s more likely you will derail by normal means, and that isn’t always going too fast. You can derail doing 5 km/h over a wrongly set switch. You’ll probably never know what it was in this instance though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

How is it even possible to derail? You must be doing something seriously wrong..

• Like Like x 1
  6. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

On the bakerloo line just after leaving Queen's Park going Southbound to Elephant & Castle you can randomly derail on a straight line even if you’re under the speed limit that’s what’s happening to me sometimes

• Like Like x 1
  7. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

This sounds like a similar issue that was happening on the Bakerloo line when a train would derail whilst running in straight track whist running to or under the speed limit. This sounds like a similar issue.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Note that you can also derail if you apply too much brake

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. tallboy7648

Whilst going under the speed limit? Makes no sense.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Which service was this?

• Like Like x 1
  11. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Stopping at stations,signals,switches,etc

• Like Like x 1
  12. tallboy7648

Yeh switches is understandable but breaking whilst going on a straight track resulting in derailment is questionable especially when your breaking under the speed limit.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  13. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

What strange things happen to some people. In the hundreds of hours I've played I've never had a train derail in a place other than a manual crossing and it's always been my mistake of not having it set in the right direction.

• Like Like x 2
  14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I have run SPG innumerable times and never had a derailment problem.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Calidore266

Same here, which is why I'm curious about the service. I'm happy to replay whatever it is to see where the problem might have been. Also, The_Drunken_Engineer , the system you're on might help also.

• Like Like x 2
  16. tallboy7648

I haven't had this issue either

• Like Like x 1
  17. The_Drunken_Engineer

I'm on a PS4 Pro.

It was 0226 - Autorack Louisville to Baltimore at 13:58.

I don't run this route much so maybe I did miss a track switch. I don't recall turning at all tho. Thanks, bro.

18. Calidore266

Whoops, and now I have to ask about the loco you used, since that service is available for four of them (six counting variants): the AC4400CW YN3b (and YN2), SD40-2 YN3b (and YN2), Clinchfield SD40 CSX-s variant, and C40-8w DLC.

I'll be running it on Steam, as I deleted TSW2 from my PS4 Slim when I bought the Windows version. I hope you'll forgive me for not redownloading the entire game plus two years of patches to play one service.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The_Drunken_Engineer

It was the standard AC4400.

20. Calidore266

Just ran it, and unfortunately I've got nothing for you. The only problem I had was my dynamic brake technique being appalling today for some reason. I think the shop guys are going to want words with me when they see the logs. Other than that, everything went by the book. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

• Like Like x 2
  21. The_Drunken_Engineer

Thank you very much. I guess I screwed up something. Thought it might be a bug.

22. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Not sure if they ever fixed it but the last time I ran it the AC4400 dynamic brakes were borked on SPG...

23. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

No, they are still as broken as they ever were. Huge braking power at very low speed even in notch 1, a pronounced inverse proportion of braking power to speed throughout and no difference in braking power above notch 4. All not as it should be. This can sometimes cause the bouncing backwards and forwards as you try to balance the dynamic brake’s poor performance with the automatic brake, which can cause a derailment in extreme cases in game (has happened to me). Even worse if you also add in the overpowered locomotive brakes.

24. tallboy7648

Oh the breaking in the ac4400 is bugged? I just thought the train had terrible brakes in reality hence why they are bad in game. Now that would explain the terrible braking performance at different notches in which you don't feel much difference.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Calidore266

I'm actually inclined to think bug (maybe either PS4 or randomly occasional) just because I was watching to see where you might have made a mistake and couldn't see anything. That was a straight point A to point B service with no switching or anything required on your part. By the time you've reached the speed limit drop to 25 kph outside Cumberland, all you have left to do is stop at the end marker.

• Like Like x 2
  26. tevfik

tevfik New Member

Hi, I've recently started to play the game (PC) and completed sand patch grade except 2 missions. Both missions requires going through sand patch tunnel to Cumberland. I am having a derailment problem after passing sand patch tunnel, while going downhill. Strange thing is, there are other missions requires this route and had no problem on those. On my last try Powering America Part 2, after sand patch tunnel, I cruised under speed limit and hold the train at 20mph (this worked on other missions), I could able go further than previous attempts however derailed again, even loco was not on a curve. First slumped or bounced forward and derailed. Very starnge issue.

27. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Despite I have used several times this route, and never derailed, I did it last weekend, and for the first time I derailed!
    It was really strange!
    Just starting to descend at relative low speed, after Sand Patch tunnel, I just apply little train brake, and suddenly the first AC4400CW uncouple for the train and move fast and derails!
    This is really strange!
    It seems some update was made to the route or the locomotives!.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Calidore266

Which service was this, and did you do it as a journey or off the timetable?

29. grdaniel48

It was a Intermodal Service - timetable - with 2 AC4400CW, destination Cumberland Yard.

30. Calidore266

I need the actual service code on the left of the timetable listing (or the start time on the right), as that description still leaves four possibilities: Q008 @ 09:33, Q116 @ 13:32, Q138 @ 17:25, and Q016 @ 22:05.

31. grdaniel48

I have tried again on the weekend, and changed strategy of braking.
    First of all, I saved the game when in the Sand Patch tunnel, before starting the descend.
    The first time the same thing happened.
    When applying train brakes,- as dynamic ones are not enough - suddenly the first locomotive uncouple and advance several meters very quickly, with the derailment message.

So next time, I decided to apply the locomotive brake instead - of course together with the dynamic ones - and this time things went smooth, and I could complete the timetable arriving at Cumberland.

But not was this way before the update!
    I do not believe trains does not use the train brake, and use just the locomotive one for such grade!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  32. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Very strange. I haven't run SPG in a minute, but i've never derailed on there except one time in the yard when a switch was misaligned.

I wonder if the SoS core update messed up something?

33. keith_gilham

keith_gilham Active Member

I feel your anger mate… I’m on the one from last mission and it does the same 200 yards from end marker the loco just jumps in the air!! Rage quit wasn’t the wording id use for that moment

• Like Like x 1