Return Of Memories Of Maerdy + Expansion "return To Maerdy Battery Operation Locomotives

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gabe_1.0, May 16, 2022.

1. Gabe_1.0

Gabe_1.0 Well-Known Member

If you recall, this was done by MeshTools and it was an absolute gem and a fairytale for myself I don't know about you. It was released in 2015 and you had a wide variety of flavors for both the WD ‘Austerity’ 0-6-0ST steam locomotive and the tiny battery operated electric contraption, unique English Electric Type 3B Battery Locomotive.

The English Electric Type 3B was a class of four wheel electric locomotives built by English Electric between 1921 and 1951, mostly at the LOVE Kerr Works in Preston. The locomotives could be powered by batteries or from overhead wires, with voltage, power and weight adaptable, making few of the Class actually the same. All locomotives had a central Steeple cab with sloping bonnets either side, which could either be filled with ballast, such as concrete or scrap metal, or banks of lead acid batteries if the locomotive was battery powered.

The Hunslet ‘Austerity’ was an 0-6-0ST shunting engine designed by R.A. Riddles for the War department. The design evolved many years before from the Class 48150 0-6-0ST produced by Hunslet; these small tank engines were then developed by Hunslet into the class 50550, a much heavier and more powerful engine.

For it's time in 2015 this was a PRO range DLC which was extremely impressive and knocked out the majority of other DLCs at the time. Today I still explore the line as it's still a gem. Since the steamer is almost here, I'm sure you could do something with this. You'll be set in the Maerdy branch running from Porth to Maerdy Colliery, following the River Rhondda. Originally owned by the Taff Vale Railway, it was used as a coal mining freight railway and continued into service when the Great Western Railway took it over in 1923. The line also ran passenger services from Porth, stopping at Ynyshir, Pontygwaith, Tylorstown and Ferndale. moving coal around and some passanger services. lots of shunting as well.

The battery shunters are a ton of fun to drive, despite being slow and whatnot. they still capture that spirit of the Branchline in it's Twilight Glory years. I really find this fun. Driving trains down what is being represented-The end of an era. It does feel like the line truly is on it's last legs. Gotta make a comeback in TSW2

• Like Like x 2
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Nice suggestion.

3. Gabe_1.0

Gabe_1.0 Well-Known Member

This is one of the top top top favorites in TS2022 and I bet it would raise eyebrows in TSW2 easy......

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I'm ashamed to admit I never got round to buying this.

Just rectified this situation, look forward to having a play later.

As an aside I recall a few years ago someone started doing a freeware version of the Glyncorrwg Branch and part of the old Rhondda and Swansea Bay. I presume that sank without a trace?

• Like Like x 1