Security Question.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by terry english, May 16, 2022.

1. terry english

terry english Active Member

Can anyone shed some light on the following message.
    I use Avast security software, and this evening I was changing games from Train Simulator Classic to Train Sim World 2 when the following message appeared:
    From Avast: Restart now, this is the only way to put the Railworks threat into quarantine. Restart now.
    Any light shed on this would be extremely helpful.

2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

False positive. I've had similar with various AV software on various games, they tend to get a bit tetchy with them (not sure why, but I have a feeling it may be to do with connecting to the internet and allowing downloads). I think you can whitelist RailWorks and TSW so it shouldn't happen but I'm not sure how on Avast.

3. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Anti-virus is the most malware-like software I've ever had the displeasure of using.

Cheers

• Like Like x 6
  4. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

If you chose an AV from top 3 you shouldn't have any issues like this.
    Don't go cheap and use the free versions. We live in times when security matters more than ever. Invest in a top AV for your safety. Go for a pack that offers protection for multiple platforms to make the most out of your money.
    I can highly recommend Bitdefender and Malwarebytes. The first if you want a complete pack, the second if you want just the AV.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Is Avast set up for predictive behavior, where it flags something that its algorithms say might be an unknown virus? Every antivirus I've ever tried kept giving me false positives when that was enabled (which it always was by default), so I make disabling it my first priority.

I'll second BitDefender, which I'm using now. Malwarebytes is also highly respected, but is only made for virus removal, not prevention.

I'd recommend against simply assuming the flagged software is okay and excepting it. Better to get in touch with the Railworks folks and let them know what happened. Hopefully they've gotten other reports, checked, and are working with Avast to resolve it, but better to be told that.

6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I just use the built in MS Defender or whatever it’s called. Never had an issue with any Dovetail or Steam stuff, gets a bit hissy with Run 8 now and again though!

• Like Like x 1
  7. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

I had to deactivate Avast recently just to allow Steam to update TSC!

8. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

some people rekon half the viruses are released by the anti-virus people.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I do not use Avast, but this behaviour comes from anti-virus tools that look at software with the point of view, if it is new and I do not know it it cannot be trusted. This is very annoying. You should be able to tell your AV this software can be trusted,or exclude it from scanning.Normally for security reasons they make it not very easy to find out how to do this.

10. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

I also heard that the owner of Durex also owns Pampers. In order to keep both businesses going very well, on the condoms production line they perforate one in ten condoms produced.
    LOL

• Like Like x 3
  11. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

You can set folders like your Steam install directory as an exception so stuff in it won't be monitored. Another option is to disable the whole behavior shield but I wouldn't do that.

12. terry english

terry english Active Member

Thanks for all your replies.