Cloud Saves

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LWDAdnane, May 16, 2022.

1. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

I recently had my Windows corrupt itself on me somehow, and had to reinstall it. In the process I lost everything, including of course my TSW 2 profile. According to Steam statistics, I've lost 420 (nice) hours of progress. I'm not sure I want to even touch TSW 2 now for a little while. I know it may not mean much, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and was working my through all the journeys, and it really does suck to see everything back in it's default state.

These things happen, and yes a back up would have been a good idea, but we don't all have the facilities to back up our whole system. A lot of games on Steam now use cloud saves instead of local ones, and in situations like these it really does seem like a good idea for DTG to consider making it a thing, and so I hope it can eventually be made manifest.

On the other hand, I really hope I'm wrong and I've somehow missed cloud saves being a thing already. Regardless, I'm happy to hear thoughts and opinions on the matter.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

There is still no cloud save support for TSW2. DTG has spoken about using Dovetail Live in the future to support it but nothing at the moment. Unless you happen to have a backup somewhere (or you tried retrieving data from the disk before wiping) then your save is gone forever, I'm afraid.
    I made my own backup system by storing my TSW2 save folder on OneDrive and creating a symbolic link to the documents folder where it is normally stored. Every time anything is changed, it is automatically backed up to the cloud. A similar setup might work for you in the future.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  3. LWDAdnane

A shame to have confirmation that there is no cloud save, hopefully strides are made by DTG in that area at some point in the future, but I'm personally not hopeful. I may have to follow suit with your backup system of just the Documents folder (if I've understood correctly), not something I'd considered before. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  4. paweuek

paweuek Active Member

Sorry to hear you lost your progress:( Been there - done that... Now I sync my profile folder with Mega.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

In the days of the Unreal crash in every other game session, I did what Tech support and most forums recommended - uninstalled and re-installed, losing all progress at about Level 100. Recently I reached Level 748, got a new computer which did not migrate files as advertised, and lost all progress. I am currently at level 17.

6. LWDAdnane

Wow, sorry to hear that, I was only about level 280 or so, so can only imagine how much effort you lost.

• Like Like x 1
  7. heliq

heliq Active Member

The Train sim World folder in Documents. Save to google cloud once a week or month.
    There are no other options(

8. paweuek

paweuek Active Member

You can also autosync specific folder with the cloud storage and forget to do it manually.

9. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

Saving is just not a strong point of this game; doesn't take away from the gameplay and realism of the simulator. Seems like it would be an easy thing to fix though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Easy enough to setup your own backup process. Just remember the old adage it isn’t backed up unless you have 3 backups on at least two different mediums. Like many suggested, using auto-sync to OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive is relatively easy and if real concerned, do a monthly backup to a USB drive of the Trainsim world folder located in your documents folder. I do the above and have a NAS on my LAN to which I synchronize my critical data files.

Sorry for your troubles and loss of progress, but been in IT since the early ‘80s and have learned to never leave data security and backup responsibilities to any one system.

11. LWDAdnane

Yeah, I think I was so confident in "it could never happen to me" that I ended up making no preparation whatsoever for such a scenario. I've now set up auto sync for my documents folder and that should protect me moving forward. Not sure if I'll open up TSW 2 again anytime soon but at least I'll be prepared this time around.

12. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I am working on a Windows Background service that will make daily backups. It's not yet working the way I want it, but it will come. It will run fully automated. Till that moment, if you use ToolkitForTSW you can make it create a backup each time you start the program.
    It will not backup to the cloud, but you can make backups to network devices or just another folder. I recommend to subscribe to a cloud backup service as well. Keep in mind, OneDrive is NOT a backup cloud it is meant for content sharing. You can use Google Drive as a cloud backup though, but you cannot backup Google drive to a cloud backup service or even a local backup drive unfortunately (unless you have an expensive subscription).

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  13. LWDAdnane

That sounds like an amazing idea, thank you for your work and good luck with it. Will the backups be saved locally?

• Like Like x 1
  14. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

upload_2022-5-23_18-4-2.png
    There is sometimes Backups file auto in the save folder
    And you just remove BAK and change it with PP

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Whatever drive you can access from Windows. It just does a file copy

• Like Like x 2
  16. LWDAdnane

Is this located within the documents folder, or the game folder?

17. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I make good progress. Got the service working. It makes backups and is able to delete old backups automatically. But now I still need to make some changes to set the backup folder and few more things. It is mainly a security issue, because background service do not run using the current user and you cannot easily access settings from other users. This is an interesting challenge.

18. LWDAdnane

That's great news, I think this will honestly be something of a breakthrough for us. It's a shame it will be something that is restricted to PC only, but hopefully it will be a stick that will prod at DTG to sort out the issue of not having cloud saves/backups quicker.

You should create your own thread about it so that it picks up some traction, and also you might get some assistance with the issues you come across. Once again, good luck and thank you for your efforts!

19. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I will let you know when it is finished ....Authorization is a big issue and not yet sure if I can solve it.