Express From Liverpool… So Hungry, So Thirsty…

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by OldVern, May 18, 2022.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Come on DTG, don’t make your passengers suffer for lack of refreshment. Let’s have some of these in the Mark One fleet,
    6F70BF71-B3C4-4AD5-8DB7-A92EFA0FB011.jpeg 268E45AB-7C12-4FA4-893F-A4D0E4A3C995.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 19
  2. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I've never been that desperate :)
    British cuisine at it's finest...

• Like Like x 3
  3. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the passengers can hold it together for 36 miles and eat at the station pub :D

• Like Like x 3
  4. OldVern

My thread title was ironic. :)

The point is, most Class One services out of Liverpool would have conveyed a catering car, yet DTG CBA to include one or two with the Mark Ones. They won't tell us why not or if there are plans to add at a future stage as DLC (free or paid).

• Like Like x 2
  5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I can't see them bringing one out regressively as that would mean altering all the services and scenarios. Unfortunately it is another example of DTG seemingly being not interested in going all the way in creating a realistic experience. I am sure the route will look and feel great as will the modelling of the locos and stock, however the devil is in the detail.

They seem to take great effort to make modern routes realistic but pretty much have fallen short in every backdated TSW route.

If they only wanted a certain amount of carriages to be included why not include a RMB or RBR rather than a BG!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You can't have it all. If there is any budget left, maybe give us a shunter, steam or diesel.

• Like Like x 2
  7. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Perhaps lack of full research, improper planning or the budgeting led to this car not being included.

8. theorganist

I suspect budgeting, I would imagine anyone with even a vague interest in railways of the period would be aware there were such vehicles and it would surely have come up very soon when they started researching.

• Like Like x 1
  9. theorganist

Personally a backdated class 08 would be fine as far as I am concerned, as they would have been a common sight by 1958 in yards and possibly as station pilots. Which would hopefully mean the first DLC would be a local passenger engine (and suitable carriages). Maybe a Jinty could then follow in future and be layered instead of the 08 if that is what was wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OldVern

Well it’s certainly not for lack of information. There are RMB’s in all the other sims that have UK stuff, plenty of models and preserved examples on heritage railways not to mention the Parkin bible.

Besides, making a catering vehicle is setting up some future proofing for any other route which comes along using Mark One stock on long distance Inter City services.

I can’t see it would greatly affect how scenarios play out by substituting for a TSO or SK in the formation. The train length would be the same with a slight increase in overall weight but not enough to hamper performance.

• Like Like x 1
  11. theorganist

DTG of course, themselves, have made mark 1 catering vehicles for TS Classic.

I can't see that swapping it out would be an issue myself, but I could imagine having to modify scenarios and services would be a useful excuse for them not to do so.

As you say it also means they have one for future routes.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that when Mk 2d and 2e air conditioned coaching stock was introduced on the WR in the 1970s, the Mk 1 buffet coaches had to be retained because no Mk 2 catering vehicles were made. I think they were used in these formations until HSTs were introduced. RMB and RBR coaches were built from 1957 onwards so one of these in maroon for Liverpool-Crewe could then be repainted blue/grey for a 1970/80s main line route.

13. OldVern

Likewise on the LMR, you still had Mark One Buffet and Restaurant Cars in Mark 2 A/C formations as there were no Mark 2 catering car builds.

• Like Like x 1
  14. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I feel smaller shunters and station pilots are a more important priority than another coach tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I wonder what British cuisine would serve as dinner in these days?

16. OldVern

Staples such as roast beef or lamb, steak and kidney pie. This was before the era of MaxPax tea and coffee so proper beverages too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Let them eat cake (that they have brought themselves). There are likely two reasons why there is no buffet car included. Firstly, they have made a large number of items for this route already and there isn’t an infinite budget; and secondly, the number of unique vehicles in the route needs to be kept below a certain number for memory reasons on older consoles (and some PCs). There could be other reasons but these are highly likely.

• Like Like x 5
  18. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

stujoy hits several nails on the head.

Can't make it all at once - this pack is already big.

Oh and the TS1 RMB was made by Oovee for one of the 3rd party packs if I recall, wasn't us (though it was a mod of one of our coaches originally for sure).

Matt.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. OldVern

Appreciate the response Matt, but I live in hope it can be added at some point maybe as part of a DLC. Any catering car has potential future application.

• Like Like x 1
  20. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Bring them on and add them to Northern TransPennine BR Blue Huddersfield Line and Red WSR. Remember Mk1 Buffet needs Air tanks and vacuum brake tanks for NTP. As is WSR and WCML Liverpool Crewe

21. driverwoods#1787

Are you referring to the Gloustershire Company which was reestablished in 2013 after disappearing during the late 1980s TVL Era?
    Bring them on and add them to Northern TransPennine BR Blue Huddersfield Line and Red WSR. Remember Mk1 Buffet needs Air tanks and vacuum brake tanks for NTP. As is condition vacuum brakes WSR and WCML Liverpool Crewe.
    MaxPax containers and food should be common on the Mk1 Buffet NTP Railway Carriage

22. OldVern

I looked in vain on Google for buffet and restaurant car menus from that era. Latterly during BR days the catering arm was known as “Travellers’ Fare” with a somewhat undeserved reputation for poor quality. The choice was limited but not bad. Breakfast in the RMB on the 0615 Inverness to Wick consisted of a pork pie, packet of sandwiches, a Mr Kipling apple pie washed down with two cups of MaxPax tea. Happy days.

Enough whimsy and back to practical matters. The basis for the RMB already exists with the TSO, would need some remodelling as DriverWoods mentions and collision detection changing in the area of the buffet counter for 1st person and AI pax pathing, but it wouldn’t have to be built from scratch.

So come on Matt… either a £5.99 DLC which would include blue/grey variant to sub vice a TSO on NTP or bundle it with your Black Five or 4MT tank loco pack!

• Like Like x 2
  23. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

BR Dining Cars were very good and breakfasts on the Manchester and Liverpool Pullmans were excellent (the Griddle Car on the Royal Highlander was top notch, too) - I'm not sure where you can get that sort of quality on any 'standard' passenger train, these days (without shelling out ££££ on the VSOE or similar), I hear the Amtrak dining experience is no longer what it was.

24. driverwoods#1787

I agree with you on this proposal. On Creators Club Livery designer Black Five receives a Paint Job that Turns it into Henry 4MT Tank gets a paint job turning it into Belle. Complete with Mk1 Buffet coach Mk1 TSO BSO Original Paint WCML Liverpool Crewe. Blue gray paint Northern Trans-Pennine Huddersfield Line with Class 47 Class 45. DLC Heavy Freight Diesel Paxton Class 08 for Shunting inside Red Bank.

25. OldVern

No disrespect but we really don't need this bringing down to include Thomas references. It's never going to be seen in TSW. My RMB has more chance of making an appearance!

• Like Like x 1
  26. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I don’t want to put the cat among the pigeons but personally I couldn’t care less about restaurant cars. My play style caveat though is I never bother really poking through carriages. I’m only one person though :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  27. OldVern

It’s more the authenticity of the consists, if this is supposed to be a historic recreation of the route and era. No different to releasing GWE with a HST that didn’t include the catering vehicle or the Class 166 without its centre car. Little details matter and if the developer can get these right gives hope that the people behind it know what they are doing.

28. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right OldVern . I'm too casual in my knowledge out the sim to be honest to have known. I wonder if they'll park it in the same filing folder as toilets though.

29. OldVern

Reminds me of the old film Beetlejuice, when the deceased couple were travelling through the afterlife admin areas (!) and they passed a room set aside for the “Lost Souls”. I can imagine a similar room at DTG where all the old TSW routes which launched with such hoorah and ceremony, like CRR, the Rush Hour routes, Cathcart Circle, anything by Rivet; are consigned and forgotten.

• Like Like x 1