Spirit Of Steam And Xbox Sound Issue

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Kobebeef, May 11, 2022.

1. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

Hey guys I'm rearly looking forward to the spirit of steam dlc and probably will be getting it on day one.

But I'm also really concerned of how the Xbox sound glitch will dampen the experience, seeing how it completely makes diesel trains undrivable, almost. Let's hope it all goes well.

What are you're guys thoughts on this ? I'd love to hear you're opinion. Cheers and have a lovely day :)

• Like Like x 6
  2. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

I agree which is why i own a ps5 aswell as xbox

• Like Like x 1
  3. bsrdj

bsrdj Member

play mostly on pc right now because of the sounds. xbox

4. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I’m completely on Xbox series x for TSW now since the release date of SEHS, and anytime something like horn upgrades has been announced I can’t really get too enthusiastic as I know how it comes out on Xbox sound

I’ve noticed a lot of sound issues on London-Brighton and they can get quite annoying so all I can do is hope spirit of steam keeps them to a minimum and isn’t going to be infamous in my books for it

thankfully I have a high tolerance for it as sound issues hasn’t been my biggest red flag for issues in TSW so hoping that stays for this upcoming release

• Like Like x 2
  5. stevenwalker1985

stevenwalker1985 Well-Known Member

Well no doubt when its released on xbox the sound issue gona be the exact same until its fixed properly

• Like Like x 1
  6. drdavewatford

drdavewatford Active Member

I don’t think it’ll ever be fixed in TSW2 given the technical challenges. I suspect we’ll have to wait for TSW3 to play on XBOX without glitched sound.

7. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

well they mentioned in the roadmap they were trying out something that could possibly solve the issue

8. stevenwalker1985

Wouldn't be surprised to be honest

9. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

Seems like it's a top priority atm, which makes me really happy. Maybe this summer? Fingers crossed :)

Great to hear from you guys, thanks for you're inputs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stevenwalker1985

I mean i really enjoy the game, but the jack hammer matt calls it, is a pain. And totally ruins the game.

11. Melbourne_Dan

Melbourne_Dan New Member

Well there's an easy fix, switch the camera for a second. And switch back, done ... As i've heard, the issue is the Xbox audio format, they're working on alternatives, but would need resampling everything, which Matt said could lead to other memory issues.

12. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

Yes sir that works on most trains, but not all. Some can only be reset by changing notches and or going in options muting sfx and puting it back up again

• Like Like x 2
  13. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

Watched today's stream the route looks beautiful and sounds are amazing
    BUT the jackhammer sound bug totally ruined it for me unfortunately, it's horrible, you cant even reset it with changing cameras , just as I feared :(

Just a heads up for you Xbox users planning on buying this route

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Definitely a priority and as I said on the stream I have two candidate builds with different test fixes to see what they do - currently with a test engineer to evaluate them. I'll provide an update on this important issue in the next roadmap stream but rest assured its importance is not lost and work is underway.

• Like Like x 23
  15. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

Thanks for you're response Matt, great job on the route and will be looking forward to that. I have a very good bottle of champagne ready to open for when the day comes :)

• Like Like x 3
  16. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

Hooo yes thanks for the news and job for TSW2 on Xbox.

17. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I noticed Xbox players seem more tolerable or there are less players on Xbox. I remember being not satisfied about sounds of some routes on Playstation months ago. But that was nothing compared to what I experienced on Xbox now. I heard the strangest sounds and can't even figure out what is just happening with the sound. Very annoying as I heard an effect that sounded cool for an audio production. The Xbox version is not a version I can play right now. It makes me think too much about sound effects instead of trains :D

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  18. mikec1701d

mikec1701d Active Member

I’m on a series S and getting multiple sound issues. Had a phantom shunting/coupling sound sequence at Lime Street which was really loud and then when travelling on the train the sound of the coach began to stutter and loop. This obviously wasn’t fit for release.

• Like Like x 2
  19. A Big Chungus

A Big Chungus Active Member

Jackhammer is occuring in every session on my Series X, can just hear it over the locomotive. Switching cameras does not cure it most of the time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Try switching to the camera at the back of the train, so press "3" twice on a keyboard, not sure if you can (or how to do it) on a controller, then back in the cab.

If that doesn't work then switch to the back camera, go backwards (away from the train) as far as it will go, and then switch to the cab, the position of the back camera will be maintained.

AFAIK the only DLC where that doesn't work is Arosa because of the short trains (and is one of the reasons I have almost 0 services on that route).

There are a few trains/cases where I've found this is the only way to fix jackhammer.

If everything fails the "nuclear" option is to use the free camera (8) and travel a few km backwards down the line, so that when you come back to the train you get the loading screen and the sounds are resetted.

• Like Like x 1
  21. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

That doesn’t always work.

22. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Is the jack hammer effect in all game modes or just some?

23. A Big Chungus

All, never had it this bad before, but seems to occur all the time now on the steam locos. Swapping cameras stops it for a few seconds, then it starts again. Seems to get louder if you pan the camera towards/inside the tender.
    You've got the nice sounds of the steam loco with some RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR mixed in over the top.

24. SHINO BAZ

What if you put the steam loco on another route with off the rails mode?

25. A Big Chungus

Yes, tried on a few different routes, still the same jackhammer sound.

26. SHINO BAZ

So does the jackhammer total kill the experience of steam train driving?

27. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

The xbox sound issue is pretty random from my experiance but once it appears it stays.

28. A Big Chungus

Depends on you really, for me when it becomes louder than the train and it won't stop, yes, it does kill the experience of the whole game. Tried showing it to my steam mad friend and he straight away picked up on the jackhammer.

29. SHINO BAZ

I just tried the 8F on IOW&WSR and really didn't anything unusual from the loco sound,so is this a sound that only stick out if you truly know what this loco sounds like?

30. A Big Chungus

Its basically like a loud stuttering noise that loops constantly.

31. Melbourne_Dan

Melbourne_Dan New Member

If you get far enough from the sound source to stop sampling, it does, try the 8 camera until the loco is well past the camera

32. mikec1701d

mikec1701d Active Member

I’m playing on an xbox series S and the jackhammer sound is ruining it for me. I created a custom scenario to drive a Jubilee from Victoria to Brighton and for around 20 minutes it was great until the sound broke. It honestly ruins the experience of what is otherwise a good game. This either needs to be fixed soon or they need to pull it from sale on the Xbox platforms as it’s not working as it should.

33. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

They won't pull it from sale, my Series S does the same but it's easily resolvable for now. I want it fixed don't get me wrong but myself, I still want it available and maybe others do too. On a side note,they have other fixes to work on like that ruin immersion on the DLC.

34. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

I have, like others here, the same sound problem, on the new Spirit of Steam dlc... can't wait for a fix, it's getting really annoying and seriously impairs immersion. I have a home theater, and the sound definition is perfect. On the other hand, this tac-tac-tac problem becomes unpleasant... to the point of lowering the sound and thus losing the very interest of the loco sounds. The camera change trick etc, doesn't always work. and there too, it becomes annoying, in the long run, for the immersion, to be obliged to play with the cameras to try not to have this jackhammer sound anymore. I specify, that I have it on all rolling stock, all the dlc. Some are less common, others worse. Example, the Swiss train dlc, presence of this systematic bug, everywhere, all the time. On UK diesel locos, the same. less frequent (but present) on other trains on other lines.

• Like Like x 1
  35. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Just what I was afraid about. I went back to PS4 Pro to play TSW2 to see what the big update has brought and I liked the update very much. Haven't purchased SoS yet because after watching the gen8 footage, which I was still impressed about, still felt I wanted to play the gen9 version. But the whole sound situation on Xbox is much worse than I could have suspected.

I know Matt won't like what I'm writing now but the Xbox community should start writing an open letter to DTG. It works for Playstation so this can work for Xbox as well as Xbox series S is the best selling console of then gen9 consoles. :love:

• Like Like x 1