Trams?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lil jj, May 4, 2022.

1. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Any ideas for a train sim world 2 tram route. there has been no tram routes in tsw2 yet so instead of me talking about a tram route. You post a reply about an interesting tram route that you would like to see!

• Like Like x 2
  2. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Either Sheffield super tram or Nottingham express transit

• Like Like x 2
  3. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

The Enoshima route in my signature is a short, street running one with tram-like trains, if that counts.

• Like Like x 2
  4. seagull81006

seagull81006 Active Member

London Trams could be a nice route going from busy on road running to more Quiet suburban areas with a route from Wimbledon - New Addington or Beckenham Junction being my choice of route

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

Manchester Metro Link is an interesting one to consider. It has street running, driving through tunnels that were disused I think… It even has brief sections of running besides heavy railway lines from what I gathered from watching Don Coffeys vids on YouTube. I forgotten about of how many tram routes they have up north.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

The Blackpool trams. Some great seaside scenery and scope for older heritage stock. Historically significant being one of the oldest surviving tramways in the world and would include lots of landmarks and points of interest such as Blackpool tower and the piers.
    Blackpool Tramway - Wikipedia

Any tramway route would probably need a lot of work however, such as being able to simulate traffic flows on roads and integrating that with signalling, simulating pedestrians crossing, as well as more lineside detail for streets and closer proximity buildings.

• Like Like x 1
  7. opgames

opgames Active Member

I do not in the slightest think this will happen but if it were I would like the Edinburgh Tram (York Place <> Edinburgh Airport)

• Like Like x 2
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

DTG would need to evolve some method of line of sight running too. The fudge in MSTS and TSC with my Blackpool routes was just to discreetly use actual signals, not accurate but at least it allowed the system to run.

My first choice would be Blackpool, firmly set in the heritage and trolley pole era preferably before the OMO cars kicked out the Coronations. What they have done to the system with the modernisation and Flexity things makes it more like a light rail system, these days.

• Like Like x 1
  9. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I'm mixed on trams.

Yes, I'd love to see them, however they aren't really trains, strictly speaking. Yeah they run on rails but they are different.
    I'd love to see the Edinburgh Trams (Ed. Airport <> York Place) as well as a good bit of Metrolink, however TSW's urban scenery isn't particularly special, nor is it bad. Metrolink is a different case as it offers the use of the ex-BR lines, which gives it an air of railway, but it's not really the same.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love those routes. However they have a different feel, which is probably better captured in a game that isn't a train simulator.
    On the contrary, it would be a welcome bit of variety, and would be an interesting experience, however it's not a particularly enticing idea.

Neither here nor there for me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

Trams are a difficult topic. Trams mostly drive on sight, meaning that the signals are more like traffic lights than actual railway signals. Also, most tram networks have locally operated switches, meaning that they aren't controlled by a signalman but by the tram drivers themselves, mostly with inductive transponders built into the tracks. Also, other road traffic is a huge factor. The current road traffic AI is not suitable for tram routes. All of these things would need to be addressed and need a lot of work put into making a tram in TSW enjoyable.
    Considering that most players' need for diversity would already be satisfied by getting a route outside of the central three countries, I dought DTG would put this much work into such a route.
    If you want trams your best choice, at the moment, is TramSim developed by ViewApp. It is a very small developer and therefore the development process is rather slow, but with two different cities and lot's of features I think TramSim will remain the best tram simulator of its generation.

IF trams would come to TSW I would love to see the Karlsruhe tramway / tram-train network. Nearly all operating procedures that are possible with a tram are found here. Tram-Trains, interurban trams, underground trams and much more can be found in this system. Tram-Trains seamlessly switch between the local tram network and the national rail network, so you have the best of both networks. Railway lines like the Albtalbahn are operated like normal railway lines, but run under 750V= catenary (15kV 16,7Hz on the national network) and use normal trams (not Tram-Trains). And the newly opened underground section through downtown Karlsruhe is a real gem in this network.
    You can read and see more about this network here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlsruhe_Stadtbahn

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a Tram that becomes a subway Boston Green Line and Frankfurt Am Main U-Bahn. U-Bahn Frankfurt Am Main is a TS Classic route that is Tram then Subway.
    Frankfurt U-Bahn will be a en route if you use scenario planner off the rails mode basically can run any train there

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I have fond memories of the Sacramento Northern route for Train Simulator. I'd absolutely love to see something like that in TSW. It had a notable part of the route running on the streets, considerably more than Arosa does.

• Like Like x 2
  13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I always think of this whenever trams are mentioned. Just imagine it in TSW… if it was even possible, that is.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Never seen a tram do bends and hills like that!
    that seems very fun to ride on

• Like Like x 1
  15. JellyScrub

JellyScrub Active Member

Thats incredible!

• Like Like x 2
  16. max#3831

max#3831 Member

I have a few interurban Railways I would like to see are the Pacific Electric railway in Los Angeles and the North Shore Line which ran between Milwaukee WI and Chicago IL and Melbourne Trolley railway in the 1960s or '70s

• Like Like x 1
  17. joshmichael#5347

joshmichael#5347 New Member

Sheffield super tram halfway to mainline brige

• Like Like x 1
  18. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Seaton tramway

• Like Like x 1