(spirit Of Steam) Doncaster - Peterborough In The 40s

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by tft#6439, May 24, 2022.

1. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

Today I am suggesting a part of the ECML as having the whole would likely be too long. The Locomotives on this route would be: LNER A1/A3, LNER A4, LNER A2. This route is around 87 miles long and would expand the Spirit Of Steam catalog. This is unlikely as the route is still really long but its just my idea.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mikeboy

Mikeboy Active Member

If the ECML was going to be introduced as a non-modern route I'd like to see it in the transition era (say 1963) so we can get a mix of both A4s and Deltics - keep everyone happy.

3. joshmichael#5347

joshmichael#5347 New Member

but i would like to see the Flying Scotsman a LNER A3 so the era i would put would be in the 1960s so they it make everyone happy that like the A4s and A3s and the class 55

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Personally I think before suggesting any further steam routes, we take a cold hard assessment of the state in which Crewe to Liverpool looks like being released and more important whether any of the deficiencies gets fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and for Modern Day Owners they can get railtours by owning Spirit of Steam Doncaster Peterbrough. So is the present-day Peterborough Kings Cross-section if made for TSW 2 with Class 800 801. Layer Rush Hour Train Pack Class 700

6. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

This section of route being on my doorstep for many years I have seen much stock and liveries come and go. LNER was such an important part of the line's history and sadly too early for me too remember (though I've been told many stories).
    Love this suggestion and would be more than happy to part with money to get it.

Also it is along the southern section of this part of line near Carlby (between Peterborough and Grantham) where Mallard broke the world speed record for steam in 1938.

7. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

For some reason over the past few days I've kept on seeing more and more of LNER pacifics (and V2's) on social media and other places. It's really made me start to feel like I really want to see them in TSW. Especially the Iconic A4's would be fantastic to see. I feel like the suggested lineup of A1/A3, A4 and A2 would be to focussed on express passenger service though (I did just recently find out A2's and A3's sometimes worked express fitted freights however). Something like a V2 or B1 and/or a frieght focussed loco (not to well versed on those) would be needed aswell.

I'd propose a lineup more like: B1/V2, A3/A2, freight engine, with an A4 and shunting engine coming later on as DLC. Of course with Liverpool-Crewe layering could be possible, but to my understanding Jubilees and 8f's weren't common at all on the former LNER tracks after nationalisation (though LNER did operate 8f's until 1947 when these were sold to LMS).

8. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

V2s are the locos I would like to be in TSW most.