Midland Mainline South: London St. Pancras To Bedford

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by londonmidland, May 23, 2022.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I'd like to propose for the Midland Mainline South route, from London St. Pancras to Bedford, to be built for TSW 2. This is to be set in modern times, with it being electrified, beyond Bedford, as per real life.

St. Pancras High and Low Levels are to be modelled, to allow for full flexibility of East Midlands Railway and Thameslink services.

Rolling stock potential:
    EMR Class 222
    EMR Class 360

TL Class 700
    Class 66 with appropriate wagons

Route length:
    51 miles

Journey time from A to B:
    EMR 222: Approx. 30 mins
    EMR 360: Approx. 40 mins
    TL 700: Approx. 60 mins

Service frequency:
    Class 222: 4tph (more in the peak)
    Class 360: 2tph
    Class 700: Up to 10tph+ from St. Pancras

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

upload_2022-5-23_21-35-1.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

EMR trains only stop at Bedford, Luton, Luton Airport Parkway and St Pancras with services going further north (such as to Sheffield or Nottingham) missing out Luton and Bedford entirely

4. londonmidland

I realise that, however, for the purpose of the route only going as far as Bedford, perhaps all services can start/end there, even if it isn't fully authentic. Either that or make it so you drive a couple of miles north of Bedford, before a portal (red signal) eventually stops you?

• Like Like x 1
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

30 minute journey in a 222? In a straight line with little variation in scenery? No thanks. Getting bored of driving EMUs. Extend it to Nottingham or Derby at least. Because then you stop at Leicester, East Midlands parkway, Loughborough and Nottingham or Derby. Also the scenery is more varied in the northern reaches of MML including a triangle railway junction that trains use to get from Nottingham to Derby. Also DMUs run up there.

7. ARuscoe

Wasn't a criticism, more information... I would prefer that the ones which don't stop are AI only, leaving the ones which do.

The 222 is a meridian class diesel electric, so a DMU not an EMU
    And "little variation in scenery"? The first 15 miles will be dense urban (north London) and then out into the countryside with a smattering of towns.
    OK no rolling hills etc, but you don't get many of them in the South anyway except between London and Oxford.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well the bottom end of the MML isn't too bad as southern UK scenery goes. There are several tunnels as the line cuts through Chiltern ridges. Dare I suggest a slightly earlier era with HSTs and 319s if not Peaks and Class 127 DMUs!

• Like Like x 2
  9. ARuscoe

HST would be a repaint from GWR or a rebuild depending on how far back
    319s could be used as a retro BML pack, or a future Northern DLC

Not sure where else the peaks or 127s could be used, though if set in this era then St Pancras would need to be rebuilt to be the run down single shed it was. Looks like the 127s were only ever used on this line, so very limited DLC potential

In other words I'd prefer the 319s (even if they were hateful cattle trucks when used on Thameslink)

10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I also remember the 317's when they came out, very spartan reminded me of a New York subway train. Like most of that generation units no effort made to match seats with windows and stark fluorescent lighting against a slightly off white plastic interior. That said the old DMUs were completely knackered at that point. You are right in that the 127s with their Rolls Royce engines and automatic transmission were unique to the Bedpan line.

11. ARuscoe

Which reduces their potential in game... Gimme a sprinter or something with re-use potential even if it's "yet another 3rd rail southern plastic box"

12. mark.bolter

mark.bolter Active Member

Would love this route,Definitely need this route as it’s a main line to Luton Airport and London.plenty of different speeds along the way

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lightspeed

I know that as I’ve ridden a few of them over the years. Love to do a full line run and stretch it’s legs on the Mainline with speeds up to 120 mph. Well in the northern section of the line, the southern section I think judging from the cab videos I’ve seen only goes up to 110 mph.

14. londonmidland

The MML South is anything but a 'straight line'. It features many twists and turns along the way. A lot more than the ECML and WCML in comparison.

15. londonmidland

The Southern part of the MML is the fastest. Most of it is 110mph but there are short sections of 125mph running along it.

16. Lightspeed

110mph line speed on the fast lines are pretty much all along the route. Don’t know the max speed on slow lines for local stoppers though. Isn’t it something like 80mph, 90mph even?

17. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Probably we might get a route in this direction from just trains.

Good suggestion, would be interessted in.

18. Greyhound

Greyhound Member

I'd love to see the Class 222 in TSW. I don't have a lot of knowledge of London St. Pancras - Bedford in real life but at this point, I'm desperate for anything UK related other than Spirit of Steam!