Rtx 3060 Or 3060ti

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doomotron, May 17, 2022.

1. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I have the option of getting a 3060 with my new computer, which has more VRAM, or the faster Ti, but that has less VRAM. For TS, which is the better option?

2. paweuek

paweuek Active Member

Go for ti version if you can afford that. 12gb ram is a marketing team gimmick IMHO.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Depends what you are doing. If you're just playing a DX9 game, then sure, 12GB is not necessary, but many, many things would see that extra 4GB being useful.
    I can remember when people laughed at me for buying a 6 core CPU in 2011, calling it unnecessary and a gimmick as well :) Oh how times change, but we never learn to stop underestimating how fast things change.
    I do agree that he should get the Ti though... definitely, as it's significantly faster and at this entry/mid level of card, you want the fastest card you can get for gaming. However... never assume more ram, or more cores is a gimmick just because you don't need it now. It's never a gimmick... just not something you need right now.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Doomotron

So is neither the better option? Since it's a pre-built I have to go with one of them and I have friends saying to go with VRAM but others saying to go with the Ti. My monitor is 1080p60 so does that change anything?

5. Pookeyhead

Depends what you do. If you do any CAD work, or 3D modelling and rendering, or anything that requires a lot of GPU compute potential, then yes, go with VRAM. For games, go with the 3060Ti. My point was merely to say that seemingly excessive VRAM isn't a gimmick as paweuek suggested, as there are uses for it. It depends if you have uses for it :)

6. DTG-Chris

DTG-Chris Staff Member

Hi Doomotron,
    in relation to Train Simulator Classic, is it unlikely you will see any performance difference between the two graphics cards. TSC is not a graphically intensive game. Your in-game performance will mostly depend on the single threaded performance of your CPU.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
  7. Doomotron

I did end up going with the 3060Ti. I do not do any of the tasks you mentioned, and if I will end up doing those I will almost certainly use a Mac for it.
    The CPU is a 12th generation i5, although I can't remember which model. According to Amazon it's 2.5GHz I believe, although I rarely trust Amazon with listing the details of computer parts.

8. Pookeyhead

Interesting choice :)

9. If you're playing 1080 then go for the ti as the extra vram is not really needed unless your playing in 4k.

10. trev123

trev123 Active Member

It will be faster than 2.5GHz. 4.0GHz or over. https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...12th-generation-intel-core-i5-processors.html

11. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

12. michell

michell New Member

Thanks for the valuable reply.

• Like Like x 1