High Praise For Return To Maerdy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldVern, May 24, 2022.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Bit late to the party on this one, but following a suggestion and discussion in the TSW section I realised I had never got round to buying either version. So I remedied that yesterday evening by purchasing Return To Maerdy. Well what a little gem of a route! So far I've just started working through the first scenario with the battery loco but will probably try the J94 later. I even managed to break the little electric after getting carried away with the regenerative brake. Must have melted the batteries... Reloaded my save and having a bit more success the second time.

So a belated thank you to all those involved with this nice little project.

• Like Like x 4
  2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Thanks for sharing, somehow I really love the China Clay for Export route, which is a gem for me. A small route with much variation. Each of the three sections has its own charm, and I love the atmosphere at dusk/dawn.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OldVern

I will have to pencil that in - another one I always meant to get round to trying but never did.

4. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

I can endorse and it has potential for backdating to steam days, early diesel days not so easy as there is no class 22 but BR blue can do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldVern

After finishing up the first electric scenario which I passed but ended up minus a gazillion points due to taking my time I started one of the steam activities. What can I say this little loco is fabulous and I love it. Think it's running in simplified control mode but still, what character. I need to look and see if anyone has created scenarios for it on other routes or maybe give it a try on one of my routes still kicking about at UKTS or TS dot com.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

I had forgotten how good Maerdy is. I have both the original "The Maerdy Branch" and "Return to Maerdy" but haven't run on either for a long time. There was a Workshop scenario with a class 37 running with empties from Porth up to the exchange sidings at Maerdy but I cannot find it now. I remember changing the original 37 for a WR centre headcode version. Happy days!

7. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Was it this one?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=621918654

11.png

or this one?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1273461496

44.png

or this one:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=593830939

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

The only downer about the route are the very limited number of supplied scenarios of which two are duplicates with the steamer using advanced rather than standard controls and nothing down to Porth. However I will check out the Workshop scenarios referenced, assuming I have the rest of the required DLC!

9. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Yeah, but you'll soon run out of options on a small single line with a yard. Just everyday routine... :cool:

Here's all workshop scenarios:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop...browsesort=trend&days=-1&actualsort=trend&p=1

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. OldVern

Thanks Torfmeister.

11. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

You're welcome.

12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I want to add that Memories of Maerdy actually has more workshop scenarios (53) than Return to Maerdy - and offers a lot more sidings and stations along the route, as it is also mostly double track.

So the first version is definitely the far more interesting version of the route.

J94 Memories of Maerdy ---> 1963 BEECHING AXE :( ---> Return to Maerdy

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=24010&excludedtags[0]=route&requiredtags[0]=#rtdp{15f61638-106d-4853-968d-c5bde0a3d5e1}&browsesort=trend&days=-1&actualsort=trend&p=1

• Like Like x 1
  13. Warspite

I think it was more likely to be 'Blue Coal' (the first one). I seem to remember changing the twin headcode box 37 for the centre headcode version but I had a screenshot looking backwards from the brake van which doesn't seem to be in the screenshot you posted. I may even have made the scenario myself but it was about ten years ago! Thanks anyway.

14. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Then it would have been a scenario for the "Memories of Maerdy" route (2012). Return to Maerdy was released in 2015.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Warspite

Yes, you are right although I think it was actually called "The Maerdy Branch" back then before they changed the name to "Memories of Maerdy" but my own memory might be wrong!

16. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

The DLC is named Class J94 ‘Memories of Maerdy’, and the included route shows up as The Maerdy Branch.