Goodbye Last Gen

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by smugstarlord#4202, May 21, 2022.

1. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

So,

With the amount of issues last gen face (ps4, xbox1) how long do you think it will be until DTG cancel any further work on these prehistoric consoles?

It happened with Elite Dangerous so made me think, is it just a matter of time?

• Like Like x 1
  2. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Yes, but not for a few years. I really hope any TSW3 uses new tech with UE5 whilst allowing a fresh start in terms of content quality consistency and overall game performance. Last gen consoles shouldn't restrict the overall improvement of the game in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I would put last gen on notice for around a year at this point, maybe a bit longer maybe a bit shorter, but to say years seems too unlikely

I does seem like a lot of the issues they face will get swept aside like any issues still on TSW 1 though

• Like Like x 2
  4. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

ED suspended work on all Consoles not just last Gen and theres no way DTG will ever stop supporting consoles full stop.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

To be honest, I don’t really get your point.
    I personally haven’t run into any last-gen specific issues with my PS4. Sure, you’re going to have to expect reduced performance and less layers/services (especially with the newer, more demanding routes), but that’s about it.
    Most of the big console-specific issues are either affecting both generations (XBOX sound bug) or exclusive to next gen (PS5 DLC limit bug).
    DTG also have the crystal clear player numbers. A few months ago, they hinted at vastly lower player numbers on next gen. Train sim players aren’t really hardcore gamers who purchase new consoles immediately.
    People are also vastly overestimating the amount of additional work spent on adapting routes to last gen. Many last gen core settings are standardized across all routes. If performance isn’t satisfactory after applying these settings, the devs can look at decreasing the amount of layers or wagons, the latter of which appears to be happening with Spirit of Steam. It’s a lot less work than non-last gen issues like the sound bug, DLC limit, save game, red lights and so on.
    DTG have also hinted at no Unreal Engine version updates in the near future, so last gen will probably be able to receive new DLCs for quite a while.

In the end, taking all the points I’ve raised above into account, leaving last gen behind just doesn’t make sense right now. They can adapt their DLCs to these platforms without a lot of work, and there are still huge amounts of players (= revenue sources) playing on them. Cutting off support would just mean leaving lots of revenue behind without really getting back a significant amount of development time that could be spent on other tasks.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

2/3 of TSW's customers are on console, and the vast majority of these are on 8th gen. No company is going to cut off their most profitable market segment.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

The shift will happen at some point. You can see more and more games that are launching as PS5/Xbox Series only, or having planned last-gen versions cancelled mid-development. We'll be two years into Gen 9 this fall, which even considering pandemic delays and supply chain issues means the transition period is drawing to a close.

Maybe this time next year for new TSW content?

• Like Like x 1
  8. bdlhouston#8691

bdlhouston#8691 Well-Known Member

Also im pretty sure part of the reason tsw was created is because they couldn't get ts classic on console because it had an outdated physics engine or something like that

9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

TSW was created as a successor to TSC on PC and didn't come to console for some time, they even had an editor and so on lined up for PC but then decided to have some form of parity across all platforms which then meant having a "similar level of experience" on all platforms.
    Of course as time's gone on and the "chip crisis" and so on hit the next gen market it's meant it's been harder to move away from the old gen consoles, but it will happen

10. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I’ve got PS4 and I’ve never really had an issue with performance. I haven’t got Munich-Augsburg as I won’t get the layers but that’s okay.

I miss out on a few layers here and there but I make my own scenarios mostly so that fills that gap.

I sometimes get a crash occasionally on one of the rush hour routes but it’s not massive issue for me.
    I can’t afford a PS5 until they come down a little.

I appreciate it might be frustrating if you’ve got an expensive PC and you feel like it’s not being utilised fully.

11. euaningarfill

euaningarfill Active Member

Tsw2 has not really become the successor that people thought

12. ARuscoe

Your comment has a 2 at the end. Mine did not
    Back then TSW was supposed to be the successor

13. euaningarfill

And tsw2 was supposed to enhance it and be more of a successor but failed

• Like Like x 1
  14. ARuscoe

Nope. TSW2 was only made because it cost DTG so much to move from UE4.16 to 4.23 and they needed to recoup the cost of in essence rebuilding the core and DLC

15. euaningarfill

Dtg is a multi million pound company

• Like Like x 1
  16. ARuscoe

"Multi-million" refers to turnover, ie sales and other monies coming into the business. If there's a million pound project to be done then that doesn't mean they have loads of money in the bank

17. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

While i see some of your points, it's is my belief that old gen is holding back the capabilities of what DTG can truly do with the UE update

• Like Like x 1
  18. ARuscoe

You seem to be mixing up issues here

DTG don't develop with last gen consoles in mind. They develop on PC and then "pare down" for the older consoles. They've said this on stream, so what you get on PC and on new consoles is what DTG are capable of doing. The fact of the matter is that consoles have in built issues and DTG don't optimise against those issues, so consoles (new and old) will always lose out.
    Obviously DTG then expend MORE time finding out what they can squeeze onto "last gen" consoles so they don't die so quickly and that's what you get there

UE Update? Do you mean UE5? If so, DTG have stated repeatedly that they're playing with UE5 but have no plans to move over to it as yet,
    What they haven't added is "and if they did it would likely mean a rebuild of all existing DLC again to comply with the new standards"

• Like Like x 2
  19. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

With the Xbox beta program being set up.
    I recon gen 8 console's will be supported for a good while to come.

PS5 dlc limit is an issue but Sony designed the PS5 to be like this so this change have to come from them. Hense why DTG is making a workaround solution.

I think for showcasing routes. Of course show the best what it can be on PC

But routes need to be shown on base Xbox one , PS4 aswell. Spirit of Steam would be good comparison.

20. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

Yes the shift is unavoidable, but it is not in visible future.

21. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

I'd say a year and a half since Sony stated that the PS4 will get games for 3 years after the PS5's release. And it's been 1 year and 7 months.