PC Stutters After 30.04.22 Patch

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Solowing, May 30, 2022.

1. Solowing

Solowing Member

Great update 30.05.22, now you won’t be able to play on the gamepad without stuttering. Since when you switch any toggle switches, the game switches to keyboard control and back to the gamepad, as a result of which you catch stuttering.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  2. playthoseblues

playthoseblues Active Member

I'm also getting this issue, hopefully it's fixed soon as it's quite immersion breaking.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Solowing

Solowing Member

I thought I was the only one having this problem. I also created a support ticket.

4. CobraBlue6

CobraBlue6 New Member

I also experience this issue. In addition if you do a keyboard input at the same time as a controller input the game freezes.

5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

remove the ..\config folder located in ..\my games\TSW

* make a backup first
    * this will restore all your game settings to default
    * ... and there is a chance it will help

BR o7

6. Solowing

Solowing Member

Yes, it was in the last patch, but there, to call up a similar situation, you had to move the mouse or press a button on the keyboard, but here it happens when you press something interactive in the cockpit with a gamepad. And yes, I can't just disable the keyboard physically, I'm playing from a laptop.

This did not help, most likely the error is somewhere deeper than just in settings.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

We've flagged this with the team. Thanks for letting us know - appreciate the frustration.

8. playthoseblues

Eurgh still making playing with controller almost unplayable. Anybody have a workaround whilst DTG investigate?

• Like Like x 1
  9. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

PC user here and i can confirm i have no issues with this

10. playthoseblues

Can I ask if you're playing off of a laptop? I was wondering if that could be causing the issues as Solowing also mentioned this in his above post.

11. CowBoyWolf

Nope I'm playing on an Desktop

12. Solowing

Solowing Member

Problem solved, after patch 09/06/22

• Like Like x 1
  13. Solowing

Solowing Member

What can I say, thanks, after the patch of 20,06,22 stutters are back.

14. CowBoyWolf

Prolly some issue on your end

15. Solowing

Solowing Member

This is very unlikely, because after the patch from 9.06 they disappeared completely.

16. CowBoyWolf

Yeah well i'm also on pc and i never get stutts

17. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

Can't complain either, no stuttering due to today's patch (Desktop PC).

18. Solowing

Solowing Member

What gamepad do you use to play

19. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

I don't use a controller (too few buttons), but my son uses an Xbox controller. We have no stuttering on either PC that could be caused by the controller. Tomorrow I can test another PC, a laptop, but there have also never been problems with a controller although it is not even a gaming laptop.

20. NiTE

NiTE New Member

I am also still getting this - the control switches over to keyboard + mouse and then back every time something is interacted with (can see the tool tip switch and switch back) which causes a stutter.
    I didn't actually try the previous patch because supposedly it wasn't fixed (https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/any-update-today.55493/#post-494897), but it is definitely still there after today's patch.
    See also https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/controller-mouse-inputs-causing-stutter.55541/

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. violet93

violet93 Guest

I have the same problem after the last update 20/06/22. I play on desktop and the problem is not with my controller, on in my stuff because I always play normally, but after this last update everytime I try to interact with trains panels or door, I have this freeze for 1 sometimes 2 seconds, the icon showing A button and inthe same time the left mouse button.

22. playthoseblues

Can confirm this is back again!

23. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I plugged an xbox controller into my PC and reproducing this and I was unable to do so. I did momentarily see the mouse icon appear but nothing paused, I could still move around and do things. Are you using xbox or playstation controller? I use the Steam controller driver - have you tried with that on?

Paul

24. CobraBlue6

CobraBlue6 New Member

I've experienced this bug using both the Steam controller drivers and default Windows drivers. I tested Xbox360, Xbox One and PS4 controllers, and they all caused about a 2 second stutter everytime you try to interact with something in the world.
    It's most easily noticed when opening a coach door on Liverpool to Crewe, you click on the door to open it, it partially opens then the game freezes for 2 seconds, then the door opens the rest of the way.
    I'm using a Windows 10 system and I unplugged all my other controllers to make sure they weren't interferring.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Solowing

Solowing Member

I do not think that the problem is in the drivers or something else on the user's side. It seems to me that Preservation Crew broke something in the game when they removed the "classic" control configuration from the game. Since the patch from 09/06 this problem has completely disappeared, and now it has returned in full, as after the release of steam locomotives.

It’s just not clear why it doesn’t appear for all users, perhaps all due to the fact that, among other things, I have not only English in Windows, but also Russian. Some games still do not understand Cyrillic in the names of some folders in Windows, and do not allow you to savegame or convert fonts to Unicode.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  26. NiTE

NiTE New Member

I only have English installed and get the issue, and none of the relevant paths (eg the install directory or my user directory) have non-ascii characters is them.
    I'm using an actual steam controller (and so the steam controller interface).

• Like Like x 1
  27. sedevan

sedevan Member

Can reproduce this issue and all routes are affected. Freezes game play for about 1 second using the interact button (in my case X) n any situation. Mouse icon appears for a very brief moment just after the freeze

Laptop PC Windows 11
    Steam Edition vanilla
    Playstation Configuration

• Like Like x 2
  28. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Definitely still having this issue as well. It's very annoying. Xbox 1 controller wired connection or bluetooth happens on both.

Keyboard/mouse controls are fine- doesn't matter whether controller is plugged in/paired, or not.

Steam/Windows 11

• Like Like x 1
  29. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

I can also confirm I have this issue, Using a wired 360 controller.
    Noticed it on GWE and I posted in that thread, having missed this thread.
    Assumed it was maybe something on my newly built PC, but happy to see its not.
    For those trying to replicate, start the down the line scenario on GWE and head to a cab. When you attempt to turn on the master key with the controller, the on screen icon changes from the "A" to a mouse icon, and there is then a pause before before you can move the camera again. Move the curser to put the reverser in forward and the same things happen. And again when you try and press the guard buzzer.
    If I accept these prompts with the mouse, there is no pause whatsoever and the game works as it should.
    As my system is new and self built, I have been monitoring temps and FPS (FWIW 3060ti can get very hot :D)
    Its worth noting that these pauses/stutters cause a huge momentary dip in FPS. I have vsync on, as I have a basic monitor at the moment, and the game runs at 60fps no problem. During one of these interaction pauses, I have seen it as low as 12 fps.

Some other observations if it helps. If I use the cursor via analogue stick to open doors on route,(Door release button) same stutter. If I use left or right on the d-pad to open the doors, no pause /stutter. Its like the game is confused as to where its expecting the input to come from.
    It seems its linked to the curser interaction.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  30. paul.pavlinovich

I reported this via the Ambassador channel and pointed at this post. Hopefully something will come of it for the people it is affecting. Weird that it doesn't happen to everyone.

Paul

31. NiTE

NiTE New Member

This is a lot better after the last patch, but it does still switch to keyboard / mouse tooltips and controls when interacting with the cab using the controller, and there is still a (much shorter) stutter. For example if I get an HST running on the GWE and then just press the 'A' button on the windscreen there is a short but noticeable pause in the motion both when the button is pressed and again on release.
    [edit: you can see this in the cab door open / close animation too for example - there is a small but noticeable pause when the button is released]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  32. countcussy

I can also confirm this is much better. Played on Cathcart Circle. Tried with Xbox 360 controller, Dualshock 4 and PS5 Dualsense. All wired.
    As stated above, the animation still changes to mouse, but the game no longer pauses for me.
    Going to try GWE later if I have time.
    Thanks to the team for looking into this.

33. paul.pavlinovich

This is after the new update? What is your build number (go to settings screen, its in the bottom right hand corner)?

34. NiTE

NiTE New Member

Yes, I am pretty sure it is as the pause is now significantly less (ie a fraction of second, rather than over a second). It is possible it has always been like this and I'm only noticing now because I'm looking for it. The build number is 186.

I have made a short video showing the issue here

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. paul.pavlinovich

I've put this in via the ambassador channel. Thanks for putting up the video its really helpful.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  36. countcussy

After some more testing, For me at least, GWE plays beautifully again. No Lag, delay or frame dips.
    Great job.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Violet3x

Violet3x New Member

Hello again. The last update stop the issue for me. Well I dont have anymore stutter interacting with my train panel or door, but I still have when Im walking and press A button on Xbox controller. I mean time clock dont stop but the people npc are affected because the time clock dont stop with the stutter only the npc.

• Like Like x 1