Recommend Me A Next Bossman Loco Purchase

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldVern, May 30, 2022.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Now thoroughly getting into the 8F and Jubilee, eyeing up which of the rest of the bunch I should buy next...

Clan Line/Merchant Navy looks really good and from watching a couple of YT clips the sound is excellent too. I have a soft spot for having been one of the privileged BR people from the diagramming section in Swindon who was given the opportunity to ride behind the loco on it's shakedown run from Swindon Works in 1984 from Swindon down to Bristol Parkway, Filton Bank, round the Rhubarb then back up via Box. Little did we know, a trail of fiery destruction left behind as the dry summer had left the lineside vegetation like tinder! Drawback is I don't own either of the two routes for the supplied scenarios - Marches Line or Southampton to Bournemouth making this a potentially expensive purchase.

Rebuilt Bullied Light Pacifics has more content in the pack (I think) but also requires the Marches Line for the supplied scenarios.

Black Five set. This gets good reviews on Steam and both the S&C and West Highland extension are in my collection. However it is very similar to the two LMS locos that I already purchased.

So would appreciate some advice on what is the best out of those three. Scenarios are not insurmountable as there is always QD or a dabble in the editor, but nice to have something to get straight up and running.

2. steamylocoman

steamylocoman Well-Known Member

Don't buy any unless you wanna try for days to figure out how it is working.
    They are too difficult to play.

3. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Pretty off-topic and useless comment. Can't you understand that people playing a simulator actually like simulating and figuring out complex machines?

OldVern As I own the Bossman Black 5, it has become my favourite all-purpose Steam engine. I can recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. steamylocoman

steamylocoman Well-Known Member

Everyone have the freedom to say what they think about stuff and so on.

5. OldVern

I slightly understand steamylocoman's sentiments as I struggled at first, in fact I refunded the 8F on the first occasion I bought it. However it's not really relevant in a thread from someone who is asking for recommendations because they are obviously happy with the locos they already bought.

I am not one to give up so easily so that's why I rebought the 8F along with the Jubilee. Yes there's definitely a learning curve and the manual could be clearer about the braking process (that returning the combined brake lever to off is effectively the lap position) but with the AI fireman enabled, I've now been rattling along the Port Road at a healthy 50 - 60 MPH and doing some really nice stops too.

As torfmeister says, sometimes you need a challenge that's a bit more in depth than push to go/stop Electrostars in TSW.

Thanks for the recommendation about the Black Five, I am coming round to thinking of making that the next addition to the collection. The others will undoubtedly follow too, but I really want to see if I can pick up the routes to go with them first.

6. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

May I please throw in the Rebuilt Royal Scot into the equation?
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/896718/Train_Simulator_LMS_Rebuilt_Royal_Scot_Steam_Loco_AddOn/
    This was my first venture into BMG Steam locos and with perseverance learned how to get one of these kettle thingies moving and more to the point keep them moving.
    Started out with full auto fireman everything, but within a couple of weeks was able to dial back on the auto fireman and was happy trundling along with no help at all from the fireman. (Apologies for making a poor hard working soul redundant in these currently difficult times).
    Seriously, in my personal opinion the Royal Scot is up there with the best. Wide range of operational use and a stunner to drive.
    It is still and always will be one of my go to favourites.

• Like Like x 1
  7. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Of course, and so do I have the right to comment. "Don't buy"/"They are too difficult to play" is more of a statement than an opinion. I just find it a little off when someone who likes Bossman locos asks for a recommendation getting this answer.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

Good shout, I’ll add it to my wishlist. However North Wales Coast is another route I need to add in my collection.

Next few days will see the distraction of Spirit Of Steam for TSW, but I expect once I’ve done a couple of 35 mile runs from Crewe to Liverpool and back, I’ll return to the more expansive possibilities of Bossman in TSC.

9. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

Instead of a plain Black 5, How about the Stevenson or Caprotti valve versions?

I favour the Caprotti as the Stevenson is modelled with almost neutral cut-off, but both make a change.

These are in Bossman's shop, not Steam.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  10. OldVern

Noted but once SOS refund processes will have £45 sitting on my Steam account which will set me up nicely with Clan Line and The Marches. Or I wait to see if the anticipated sale starts on 23rd June and have a real Bossman frenzy!

11. OldVern

Initially I have plumped for Clan Line.

Wow, she is a beauty alright. Gave her an outing on the S&D and a treat to look at, listen to and drive. Slightly easier (IMHO) to get to grips with than the LMS locos though I had to engage the services of the AI fireman at least until I get comfortable with the driving side.

Just wish I had bought the Bossman locos much sooner than I actually have!