Xbox Annoying Sound Glitches/problems With Engine Sounds (xbox Series X)

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by thisnamebetterworks, Feb 9, 2022.

1. thisnamebetterworks

thisnamebetterworks Active Member

So, if I translate this:

>> Our (current) staff were unable to find a solution, so the simulation runs smoothly on all XBox systems in terms of sound, gameplay and graphics. [<< I suspect that, for example, changing the audio files from XAudio to *.ogg (or similar) would have triggered completely different errors. >>]

Furthermore, new employees are being sought (internal and external) who (hopefully) have more skills in this direction (XAudio / XBox systems) and (hopefully) can fix the problem ... ... one day. <<

~

Sounds very worrying ... especially if you have bought 100% of the DLCs for the full price ... ... like me.
    When will the error be fixed? Will it be fixed at all? - The last question in particular now seems to be a conceivable scenario.
    However, at the same time an absolutely intolerable one:

In order to deliver a good product, you have to make sure that you ...
    A) ... want it.
    [and]
    B) ... can do it.
    If you get first successes, although only A (or B) is fulfilled, but B (resp. A) is not, it quickly comes to the fact that B (resp. A) is neglected. The product remains mediocre to poor.

But in order to expand, both points must be fulfilled.

... so there is no real need for me personally to honestly evaluate all 52 components (DLCs) of the game.
    But ... I think I'll have to do it anyway for emotional reasons soon.
    (And a re-evaluation will not take place until/if the bug has been fixed.)

I've heard that it there should be an other big bug for the PlayStation system.
    Of course, this is also bad. But unfortunately, it does not mean that this problem that we point out here is any less important. On the contrary, it unfortunately shows many more problems that the developer has.

You don't measure a product against other own products, but against the competition (benchmarking) and customer satisfaction.

I guess it sounds like I want to cook DTGs goose now with this feedback;
    but - trust me - it i s the opposite:

What if the issue will remain?

- Products of TSW 2 won't be sold very well - like/especially DLCs for TSW 2. (They will - at least a little - as long as people still trust in the fix of this bug ... ... like me.)
    - TSW 3 won't be sold very well. (Not to people who only own the bugged TSW 2.)
    - Other new products won't be sold very well. (Not to people who only own the bugged TSW 2.)
    ==> And what if one of the heavyweights in the market ond day thinks, "Hey, let's do something with train simulations"?! - They would know about TSW 2 (and similar - older and younger - producs), would take some unprotected ideas, and then ...
    ... then TSW and maybe DTG will totally go to the dogs!
    Zero chances to do something about it ... then it would be too late!

~

This is a merciless shark tank out there.

I think it would be unfair to lie to someone (against better knowledge or even intentionally) and say, "Hey, it is not bad. No pressure." (Unless these people would pay like 200 times the price for a product to offset the costs incurred if the other buyers drop out.)

I am egoistic, I want a good and smooth working game for my money - sure, true.
    But - only with the just mentioned aspect - I wouldn't invest my rare time to keep up the pressure:

I hope for a realy fast fix of this issue, and all other issues (especially the PlayStation issue, too).
    DTG invested a lot of hard work [some people would call it "love"] into their simulations (like TSW 2). If someone should become bigger on the market, currently I would say: It should be DTG.
    But this is realy, realy hard. And too hard, if you have any weak points (in the products).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  2. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

well summed up, thank you. I totally agree with these comments!

• Like Like x 1
  3. jamesj015

jamesj015 New Member

I just got on after a while and having engine sound issues on PS5. Such ashame. hope its fixed soon

• Like Like x 1
  4. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

I doubt it, unfortunately

5. thisnamebetterworks

So ... I suppose the best news for people hoping that the XBox sound issue will one day be fixed (like me) is the fact that we received any new news about the sound issue in the first place.

My feeling told me the chances were real that we wouldn't hear anything new. Because ... skip that, we have news concerning this topic.

I'm not an optimist, but I'm not a pessimist either ... the fact that there is news, mixed with the content (that there is indeed - and maybe suprisingly (?) - progress) ... - well, that doesn't sound so bad.

Sure, the content of the "May 2022 Roadmap" is true:
    An untested prototype is very far away from a good working serial product; and there are a lot of things that can (and a few sure: will) go wrong.
    But it sounds that DTG is working on the issue. Well: It would be a waste of time and ressources not to finish a started work ... ... let's hope the best ... in terms of success, but also in terms of the time we still have to wait.

And never celebrate too soon ... the champagne will not be opened until all problems - exept one* - have been resolved.
    *exept the last problem, ... that the bottle is not open yet ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

Oh I got that bottle ready to open when the sound issue is finally fixed I'm with you on that brother

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

Question , anyone with Sherman hill can tell me if this bug is very prevalent ? Like can you reset it with in And out camera ? Or only with notching up ?

Thanks

8. thisnamebetterworks

Not that it is necessary, but I have the feeling that it should be mentioned here: The big DLC "Spirit of Steam" arrived; bought it, too.

Sadly, the sound bug isn't fixed in the game, and - how could it be otherwise - the "Spirit of Steam" DLC is also hard affected. Especially the 'vacuum generator'-sound is glitched like every 7 seconds here. It is even worse if the sound of the locomotive itself is affected.
    Another "hard core" immersion breaker. Today I think I would say for myself:
    It's like waiting for the game to come out at some point. This would be when the sound bug has been fixed.

Currently, it makes little sense - in my honest opinion - to play an immersive simulation in which immersion is destroyed randomly and suddenly, but with very high chances. Again and again.

To answer a few questions in here - as far as I noticed: There are a few sound glitches, that can be temporary fixed by changing the camera. I guess, it is possible, if different sounds are used. But some sounds can't be fixed, mostly if the bogie/ rolling sounds is/are affected.
    And with "temporary" I mean ... well It could hold like 5 minutes - but sadly also only 3 - 7 seconds. (Like in the Class 20 here.)

Hope for more updates and a deadline [upcoming "Roadmap"], that is not excessively late. Realy bad, if no updates would come out ... or in other words: It would be definitly a reason to become realy angry, if no updates will be released.

9. mikec1701d

mikec1701d Active Member

I’ve been playing on Xbox series S and created a custom scenario to drive the Jubilee from Victoria to Brighton. All is well for around 20 minutes and then the sound inevitably glitches and the jackhammer loop of sound begins. It’s honestly ruined the game for me and ruins the playability of it. What’s the point in trying to play when I know that within a few minutes that the sound will go into an annoying loop and make it a struggle to play? This either needs fixing or pulling from the Xbox store as a faulty and broken product is knowingly being sold.

10. RotorHed

RotorHed Member

Not to put a downer on things but take a look at bugs that have been reported here and how long they’ve been known, and yet no fixes came.

It’s been years in many cases. In some cases “fixed” bugs weren’t fixed when an update finally did come …

So yeah - they’re talking about this in roadmaps now. I think we should all set our expectations that if a fix comes at all, it’ll be months and perhaps a year or more away. If a fix comes.

That’s where DTG is with TSW 2.

If this issue is enough to make you really irritated, leave a negative review on the Xbox store. It’s about the only thing you can do right now.

11. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Appreciate the frustration folks, and understand how it impacts the immersion of the game.

We do have a brief update in next week's Roadmap, but work is progressing on a fix for what is a complex issue for the Engineering team.

12. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

I have, like others here, the same sound problem, on the new Spirit of Steam dlc... can't wait for a fix, it's getting really annoying and seriously impairs immersion. I have a home theater, and the sound definition is perfect. On the other hand, this tac-tac-tac problem becomes unpleasant... to the point of lowering the sound and thus losing the very interest of the loco sounds. The camera change trick etc, doesn't always work. and there too, it becomes annoying, in the long run, for the immersion, to be obliged to play with the cameras to try not to have this jackhammer sound anymore. I specify, that I have it on all rolling stock, all the dlc. Some are less common, others worse. Example, the Swiss train dlc, presence of this systematic bug, everywhere, all the time. On UK diesel locos, the same. less frequent (but present) on other trains on other lines.

13. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

Thanks for job

14. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

The sound problems are due to DTG using the Microsoft sound engine and have been around since TSW2020!

• Like Like x 1
  15. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

So is this the jackhammer sound or is it just one of many possible sounds that can jackhammer sound.

16. thisnamebetterworks

Just to keep all updated in here,

for me it sounds like a neutral information. It is mostly a normal 'work is in progress'-message; one approach which seems time- and resource-efficient is in (or close to the main) focus now. But generally, I would say: It is positive, that DTG is focussing on quality of the existing content now => bug fixes, especially the big ones (like the here discussed 'sound issue').

In comparison to last month this approach has been initially tested. Which is good. Nevertheless, it is not yet certain whether the path will work. That is why - correctly - no deadline estimate yet.
    One month* is not much time, but I also rate it as positive that we now receive continuous information about the status. (Hope it keeps like that.)

[* but three months are ;]

p. s.
    Hearing about a "new" approach doesn't worry me.

You have more than one approach: Plan A, Plan B and a pool of other possibilities, which you should use instead of giving up, if A and B won't work.
    Especially in the first time, you don't know which approach can be Plan A or a possible Plan B.
    (I don't think it is necessary to follow 100% clear a problem solving method, like e. g. FOR-DEC; but following a clear structure and chose the most time and resource efficiencies is standard.)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  17. thisnamebetterworks

I didn't had time to test it yet, exept in the last 45 minutes: Tried three maps, that were hardly hit by the "Jackhammer-Bug". And ...

[*spoiler warning, if you want to test it yourself*]

... It didn't appeared!

So: I think it is time to celebrate!

[​IMG]

Okay, a few seconds passed ... enough celebrated, there is still work to do.
    (no joke)
    ==> The Class 166 has a few, the Class 20 a lot of very loud click(ing)-noises in the engine sounds. The sound doesn't jackhammer now, but its quality should get some attention, too. (I have the feeling, these click(ing)-noises could be even fixed with audacity.)

After this one, and a lot of other smaller and bigger (PS5 DLCs) problems are solved, ...
    yes ... I am realy excited for new content. ;)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  18. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

Hi,

thank you ! finally there is no more this unpleasant sound "tac tac tac"! what a pleasure.