Portsmouth Direct Line: London Waterloo - Portsmouth Harbour

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, Apr 21, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

84.4%
  2. Not Sure.

1.6%
  3. Not Really (No)

9.4%
  4. Would like SWR/T but on a different route

4.7%
  1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Portsmouth Direct Line
    "Experience the bustling South Western network, from the UK's busiest station to the south coast with Train Sim World 2: Portsmouth Direct Line"
    Operators:
    South West Trains (SWT) OR South Western Railway (SWR) (Doesn't change it too much)
    Rolling Stock:

Standard:
    Class 444 Desiro 444026_at_Waterloo.jpg
    Class 450 Desiro Img_6356.jpg
    Potential DLC: Class 442
    Layered: Class 377 (ECW) between Portsmouth and Havant (driveable) and as AI at Clapham Junction
    Class 166 (GWE) between Portsmouth Harbour and Fratton (Driveable), and AI at Guildford.
    Important Details:

34 Stations (If I am correct)
    ~73 Miles in full
    Featured on Train Simulator Classic (Twice)
    Opens up potential for many routes in and around Portsmouth and Waterloo
    Opens up the South Western network to Console Players alongside PC Players, who have access via Train Simulator.
    Note:

To touch on the SWR/SWT point I made, I don't really think this makes much difference.
    If this route is SWR era (that's if the route is made) there is potential for the class 442 as a DLC as well 800px-Clapham_Junction_SWR.jpg
    The length of this route I feel is possible to recreate, not much longer than CRR, and a good amount of stations. Thanks for reading.

(Edit: Updated Suggestion)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
  2. trainsimplayer

Having done a little more looking into it, I have came up with some ideas for layering.
    Class 377 for owners of East Coastway:
    Services between (Brighton, off map) Havant (on map) and Portsmouth Harbour
    For owners of Great Western Express:
    Class 166 Services between Portsmouth Harbour and Fratton (Cardiff Central)(mostly just for some additional background trains)
    (As AI) Class 377 at Clapham Jcn. Class 166 at Guildford (thanks to samuelbrookes1 for the reminder)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. samuelbrookes1

samuelbrookes1 Active Member

Class 166s could also bee seen as AI at Guildford, and class 377s could be seen as AI at Clapham Junction.

• Like Like x 1
  4. trainsimplayer

Oh yes I forgot about these, thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  5. lmcpfc2014

lmcpfc2014 Well-Known Member

I think this route is actually about 74 miles, I want it but it may be too long for TSW. As well as that, the AI at Clapham Junction could melt an Xbox or PS from over heating. PTG Rail has just done a good route learning video on TS for this route with the 450:

• Like Like x 2
  6. sparkymarky800

sparkymarky800 Member

OMG this would be amazing for me as I live in the Portsmouth area and have travelled this route many times before. That makes me a bit bias I suppose.

Only playing TSW on a Xbox means I can't play the TS Portsmouth to Waterloo route.

I can only live in hope I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  7. trainsimplayer

I have TS on my PC but play TSW on Xbox, however I have the old PDL and not the new one, so that's one of the main reasons I'd like to see this route.

8. trainsimplayer

Edited Suggestion to include more detail.

9. samuelbrookes1

The 65 miles is the distance from London Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour as the crow flies (a straight line). In reality, the track isn't one straight line, and is closer to 74 miles.

10. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

There was a thread a few weeks ago on the exact same route which has received 27 likes.
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/south-western-railway.37101/

According to Rail miles which I believe to be accurate, it’s 73 miles and 73 chains. (There are 80 chains in a mile so the route is just under 74 miles)

Either way, personally, I’d rather see London Waterloo to Basingstoke. It’s the heart of the SWML and would make perfect opportunity for future DLCs branching off that. Also, it’s a lot more realistic as it is only 47.75 miles. Initial traction to be Class 450/444.
    Then, (not in any particular order)
    Woking to Portsmouth with Class 442
    Reading/Basingstoke to Bournemouth with Class 220/221 and Class 70 freight
    Basingstoke to Salisbury with Class 158/159
    Clapham Junction to Windsor/Reading with Class 458 and Class 707
    Metro lines- Hampton Court/Shepperton/Chessington/Dorking/Guildford/Alton with Class 455/456

I think the SWML is a fantastic route for the following reasons:
    1. The busiest network in the U.K. with over 100 million passengers (pre-Covid) using London Waterloo station annually. And with about 40 trains an hour in each direction.
    2. Guard on every train with (currently) full door control. So it would be a good opportunity for a guard mode especially as some of the metro routes have very intense stopping patterns.
    3. A wonderful variety of traction which is bizarre in this current day and age as most companies have standardised traction to only one or two different units but SWR has 6 which all provide a unique driving experience.
    4. Some of the most anticipated traction for the U.K. are Sprinters (Class 15x) , Desiros (Class 450/444) and Voyagers (Class 220/221) which the SWML can all provide.
    5. There are opportunities to link with the GWE Route if so desired. Apart from the London Waterloo to Reading services, the 2 networks also link together on the Reading to Basingstoke line, Reading to Guildford line and in the West Country (Exeter/Bristol).

• Like Like x 2
  11. trainsimplayer

I suppose I'll go with the ~70 miles then. Better safe than not I guess

12. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

I would love the route, but I would definetely want the class 455 as well. I love that one

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nei4024

Nei4024 Active Member

Yes, please!!

14. samuelbrookes1

I would prefer Waterloo to Basingstoke rather than Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour. I think that a 455/456 would be included if this were made, to have commuter services (such as Waterloo to Woking) which can be run in its entirety on this route. A short branch to Hampton Court would also provide an extra full service.
    Waterloo has never had over 100 million annual passengers. In 2018-19, there were 94.2 million passengers, but it is still the busiest station in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GooseWaffe

GooseWaffe Member

Hey I’m late to the thread but let’s not forget:
    Class 707 Desiro City.
    Class 701 Aventra

imo, Waterloo to Portsmouth harbour would be my vote, although I am slightly biased because that’s the route I take to uni.

yes it will be a long route but there’s other long routes and routes that take longer to traverse!

it would be good for all players if it were Waterloo to Portsmouth
    You have the all stop trains to either Guildford, woking etc using the class 455
    Or you could have the limited stop fast service from waterloo to the harbour. If they wanted to they could also reuse the class 66, seen it quite a few times on the route.

overhead for layers you could see southeastern trains (if you have the dlc) and southern 377’s at clapham. I think overall it’d be an immersive and fun route

16. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent Idea and for another DLC train the Class 458 if set in 2022-2023
    [​IMG]
    Older DLC trains as legends of the Southern Region BML ECW PDL
    423(4VEP)
    411(4CEP)
    415/416(2EPB)
    421(4CIG)

17. trainsimplayer

I think the PDL is probably one of the suggestions I need to remake, being a year old it really reflects the low quality my suggestions used to have.

18. GooseWaffe

GooseWaffe Member

Apologies for late reply, but the 'Legends of the Southern Region' is a really good idea.

19. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

The Class 701 'Arterio' could be on this route too as a DLC.

20. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I'd definitely like this route, it's just that there are others I'd like much more and I don't think now is the right time, with the past few modern British routes all having also been third rail EMUs south of the Thames.

21. elaineedwards2013

elaineedwards2013 Well-Known Member

Great idea. I would love to see this route in Train Sim World 2, and have LMS Jubilee Class no. 45596 Bahamas layered on the route as a possible railtour service.