Help Climbing Hills

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Vector224, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Vector224

Vector224 Member

Hi I need help on spirit of steam despite having the reg fully open and the reverser at 75 I loose a lot of speed climbing hills even with the sander on

2. matthewmidnight

matthewmidnight New Member

I think you need to bring your reverser down. Try bringing it to around 50% when you hit 10-20mph, while opening the regulator.
    Then bring your reverser down to 25% while opening the regulator the full way.

that should keep you with enough steam pressure to build speed, even on hills.

3. RotorHed

RotorHed Member

Yeah the reverser shouldn’t be at 75 - once you’re past about 20mph have it down at 25.

Also check your fireman setting - if you don’t know what to do to maintain boiler pressure right now, make sure it’s set to automatic. That way the steam pressure will be kept high for you.

If you want to do it manually - open both dampers, keep the firebox open, make sure large projector is closed, cocks closed, reverser 25 and regulator to maintain the boiler pressure steady in the top third of the range.

Oh and consider sanding for traction too if you’re getting a lot of wheel spin even at low regulator percentages.