Spirit Of Steam Issues Ps4

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hydraulicfan, May 31, 2022.

1. hydraulicfan

hydraulicfan New Member

First of all, a generally great-looking game albeit with disappointingly empty yards, as mentioned elsewhere. Can live with only maroon coaches although nothing but five-plank wagons does make the freight scene very one-dimensional. Oh, and a female fireman is simply something that never happened on BR.

Glitches encountered so far:

- The 08.18 freight out of Basford Hall constantly SPAD’s a non-existent signal on the Crewe Independent Lines, although not always in the same place. Sometimes it’s at the fork in the tunnel, sometimes on the climb out of it. This happens whether driving it manually or on auto. Not sure if other trains similarly affected but tried this one four times.

- Passengers sitting in TSO’s are very narrow (you could fit four in a double seat). Those in BSO’s and FK’s are normal.

- Although loco’s and coaches appear to be numbered correctly, I have noticed one instance of duplication. Drove the 07.31 stopper out of Liverpool with 45721 on the front but went for a wander around Edge Hill depot having left the train in the station. Amongst the ten or so Jubilees on depot was 45721. Walked back to the train and sure enough 45721 was still on it.

Will play more tomorrow and list any further issues.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

Doesn't help my latent misogyny that the lol female fireman somehow knocked me onto the tracks as I was trying to get to the front damper controls. Gonna have to raise my pimp hand next time, as always, I was nearing the end of the service. Driving those locos really feels great tho. Well worth a first day purchase so far.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DANtheWALLY

DANtheWALLY Active Member

Haven't noticed any of these issues personally. Only big thing I've had is the fireman becoming invisible which is quite often but it was mentioned on stream as something that's being looked into so yeah thats good. (ps4)

4. DANtheWALLY

Oh yeah definitely first day impressions are amazing. So i mean for anyone worried about 8th gen it's actually really good. Steam is so fun and works.

• Like Like x 3
  5. The_Drunken_Engineer

I'm shocked the steam effects are so well done for 8th gen. It sounds great besides the problem we all know about. It feels like you're manipulating this heavy piece of metal, moreso then the other trains, I love how they kinda shake around. It's fun even chugging along at slow speeds, which I usually detest. The shovel being empty doesn't really bother me, at least you can hear it. Even the scenery not being as good as usual isn't a problem for me because I'm more focused on driving. Well done DTG.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  6. andyh#2834

andyh#2834 New Member

Hello all!
    So I’m not sure what’s happened, but I’m on PS4 and I have Crimson and Cream stock as well as all the freight options…which I didn’t think I was meant to!

Fireman (or women to be fair) is always invisible.

Sounds are good although it cuts out a lot and the textures are far less polished than in previous releases; I have the angular buffers and wheels etc, plus the cab controls is also quite ‘blocky’.
    The drop in texture detail deffo lets it down compared to 9th gen so I may have to purchase a PS5 so I can fully appreciate it.

As an aside, I created an ‘Off the Rails’ scenario using a re-skinned Class 101 in green, the Class 47 and Class 08 from West Somerset as well as Jubilees and 8Fs. Totally not authentic and some people will be fuming at the thought, but it was quite fun and added some variety. Busy enough although unless you are in external you can’t see an awful lot. So the lack of AI therefore isn’t too much an issue.

Enjoying reading everyone’s thoughts on the forum!

Andy

• Like Like x 1
  7. The_Drunken_Engineer

I was doing a passenger run and got booted for running a red. Not unusual, however I was sitting at a station with the brakes fully applied, completely still, which I feel is. Anyone else experience this?

8. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

I have better… the fireman is there mainly but not this time so I decided to take his place and after leaving his seat bam he appeared and literally expelled me from the locomotive. I was nearly at the end of my journey and I couldn’t be arsed trying again I just shut down TSW and played an other game without annoying glitches

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  9. phildenty

phildenty Member

Hi and good day to you all...Not sure if this is the right place to report this or not The Spirit of Steam collectables can not be achieved on PS4... The coal bag at Crewe Yard North is missing....I have attached two photos to show where it should have been....other than that really enjoying this DLC

Attached Files:

10. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

I have had that once so far on this DLC. The dreaded A.I.going through a red light glitch I expect, they trip the red light, we pay for it lol.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I’m really glad that the 8th Gen reviews are good; I have been dreading hearing that the 8th gen quality will be bad, but overall it’s positive :)
    Can’t wait to take a jubilee screaming down the Cornish Mainline :)

• Like Like x 4
  12. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of doing that as well lol.

13. frank1116

frank1116 Well-Known Member

can somebody please share some PS4 screenshots in regard to:
    - low poly
    - angular buffers
    - blocky controls
    Just would like to see how bad it is.
    Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  14. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

So is SOS really worth paying full price for on PS4 even with all the things missing like empty yards, reduced AI trains, missing fireman, and certain types of stock coaches and wagons etc? I can put up with a reduced frame rate but there is an awful lot missing for us poor PS4 plebs it seems to me. Surely it’s time to bring in a cheaper price for those buying on PS4 now the differences between PS4 and PS5 are getting bigger. Yeah I know you can get a free download to the PS5 version when we eventually get one and they drop in price but in the meantime it’s a bit rich expecting PS4 players to pay the same prices as PS5 players when they get a much more inferior experience in return. Charge less DTG for PS4 players and then charge a small price increase when we eventually upgrade to a PS5. In the meantime I will just wait until SOS drops to an acceptable price in a future sale in order to reflect what I’m actually getting for my hard earned. Shame really as SOS looks quite good in the meantime it’s back to driving the diesels and modern electrics for me.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Rail Runner

Is the fireman not present at all??

16. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Soz I might have got that wrong? He disappears now and again?

Either way it seems from what I’m reading the immersion experience is way less for PS4 players compared to PS5 players, as such I can’t see the point of paying £25 which is the same price as a PS5 player no matter how good and interesting SOS seems to be. Everyone is different I suppose but I will just wait for a cheap enough sale because all thing considered I can’t see me getting a PS5 anytime soon. ( Availability, price, etc )

• Like Like x 3
  17. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

SOS have been hit hard on PS4 in regards to removed content, but one thing I cannot accept is the cab interior looks. It's just looking ugly, gives me the impression of some "comic art" graphics - all those gauges and pipes not being generated smoothly rounded. It's a simulator so the interior should relfect real life look, not some comic art.

(If you want to see how the cab interior looks on PS4 you may check it in this thread, fifth post from the top kekanha#4892 has attached two snapshots: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...rpool-with-spirit-of-steam.55188/#post-492049)

• Like Like x 2
  18. hydraulicfan

hydraulicfan New Member

Just spawned at Crewe South to have a look around and saw a strange blue texture around some track. Wandered over to it and fell through - the world above became increasingly distant. No escape without closing the game.

19. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I don't have SOS yet, (i'm holding off for a price drop in sale, or the bugs are fixed. Whichever comes first), but I would be happy with that. A lower price for the PS4 port, followed by a charge when upgrading to PS5.

For those who already made the leap from PS4 to PS5, is progress carried over?

• Like Like x 1
  20. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Nope they’re still working on it so sadly you have to begin from scratches on PS5 but you can still play the PS4 version on it

• Like Like x 1
  21. DANtheWALLY

Yeah i agree the cab on ps4 is well not great. The bigger controls like the large ejector are awful to be honest.

• Like Like x 2
  22. frank1116

Can you share some pics please. I have see just the one mentioned above. Some people are excited, some not. What is the truth?

23. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

The cab like the buffers, the rivets etc are in low poly I don’t know if they did this to preserve a decent amount on FPS for the 8th generation consoles but it reminds me the interior of the class 483 which was low poly too at the beginning. On the opposite it looks stunning on the PS5

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Rail Runner

I’m really tempted to buy myself a PS5. The limiting factor for me buying one is that because I have nearly all of the DLCs, I wouldn’t be able to use them on the PS5…
    How many DLCs do you have installed atm?

25. frank1116

Can somebody share some pics please. Prose just does not help

26. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

It’s difficult to get one but perseverance always pay just register yourself on PlayStation website to be selected to get a chance to buy one that’s what I did and for the DLC installed I only got around 10 because some are heavier than others so you the 64Gb limitation easily lol

27. Rail Runner

Oof haha. That will be difficult to decide upon Ahaha. Hopefully DTG will get a fix for that soon!

thanks for the heads up :)

28. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

They’re working on it but Sony messed up with that limitation they don’t have this issue on Xbox…
    You’re welcome !

• Like Like x 1
  29. jameshutcheson1982

jameshutcheson1982 New Member

My main issue with it is that I've purchased the update, it's downloaded, but now when I go to install it it doesn't see my original copy of the game and expects me to pay another £25 to buy a game I already have.
    PS4 any ideas?

30. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Raise a ticket to the support

31. TheCadManFan

Hhmm.... I was afraid of that. I really don't want to have to start over.

• Like Like x 1
  32. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Me too that’s why I barely play the PS5 version, I stay on the PS4 one at the moment

33. jameshutcheson1982

jameshutcheson1982 New Member

Can I ask how to do that?

34. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

At the top right hand corner above, you should see a "support" button. Hit that and fill in the form.

35. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

I don’t know what just happened the speed changed drastically for no reason and no matter how many times I tried to slow down the locomotive it didn’t worked I had to restart the scenario lol:

5F5057BE-77A9-468C-AC4C-E123CEDCB187.jpeg AC04F511-F695-4BC7-8479-2F32C19DB8ED.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  36. The_Drunken_Engineer

:)
    When you spike the driver's tea with amphetamines because you're a bored fireman in the fifties tired of the abuse.

• Like Like x 2
  37. phildenty

phildenty Member

Does anyone else derail as soon as you reach the end marker? Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong

• Like Like x 1
  38. phillipa#1949

phillipa#1949 Active Member

Apart from the install issue which i resolved don,t have an issue with either been playing the mainly the PS5 version so far obtained 5 out of the ten trophies so far completed the training modules completed one service completed bovine diversion & worse Winter ever scenario drove the Jubliee class 100 miles my only gripe drove the Stancier Class Jubliee the same distance & it failed to unlock the trophy for it .

The South Eastern 375 works well in Scenario planner you can drive it from Liverpool Lime Street to Ditton Junction 9.2 Miles so does the EWS you can do a full run from Edge hill sidings to Crew sorting sidings 30 miles.

Overall its well presented unlike some of there other routes

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  39. BobbyC

BobbyC New Member

Yes on PS4 the Refuel/Water Introduction. Stop in the marker at end. “Objective complete” and the loco falls over when you try to exit despite being stationary - Infuriating.

• Like Like x 2
  40. ady.hewitt

ady.hewitt Member

Many many times , I’ve also had random spad events as well

• Like Like x 2
  41. andyh#2834

andyh#2834 New Member

Interesting thread; I didn’t want to be totally negative when I first posted in here but listening to everyone you all have the same thoughts.
    I agree,the cab is disappointing and the render distance leaves everything a little soft.

In other news, does anyone else have an issue with the sound when in cab view? There are obviously multiple layers to the sound; the chuffing and clanking etc but there is a constant ‘noise’ as you increase speed, presumably wind rush etc; this cuts out every few seconds. Once you move to external view or slow down you loose the ‘wind rush’ (I’ll call it) and its fine.

Also, If you move your view 20 to 30 degrees left or right if front the noise goes as well. It makes playing in the cab far from enjoyable.

Andy

• Like Like x 1
  42. TheCadManFan

Sounds like another route released with issues. Best to hold off on buying it, until it's sorted out.

43. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

Yup, happens constantly when finising in sidings. Wheelslip seems to bugged is is constant above 40mph, no matter what you do. This applies to journey chapters i hasten to add.

• Like Like x 2
  44. phildenty

phildenty Member

Has anything that they brought out ever been 100% playable without any issues straight out of the box?

• Like Like x 2
  45. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell what types of 8f services are triggering the derail on stop? Obviously not all freight services are affected. This should preferably happen in the sidings.

46. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

Crewe is a mess AI trains aren't loading correctly causing crashes and SPADs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. Railfan1985

Nope, and sos is severly bugged. Only noticeable the more you play. So buggy that i no longer enjoy playing, and have gone on to play other games. Games with no serious issues or bugs. Shame really, as i was looking forward to sos. Massive disapointment tbh.

• Like Like x 2
  48. Railfan1985

Most in journey mode.

49. BobbyC

BobbyC New Member

4 on the Bounce last night so gave up.
    Fell into the endless blue pit between turntable and Building wall at Lime Street. You can’t see it, it just happens and you watch the scenery disappear into the distance. That was Time for Scouse Scenario.

Not got the service numbers but in timetable mode all 8F.
    Short 1min stable the engine run at Edge Hill. Uncouple and before you reach 1st marker and stop - hide screen - out of service area

Dutton to Speke short freight derail on stopping at yard.

2 min stabling run the initial 1st stop is not reachable out of area.

At that point enough was enough.

50. The_Drunken_Engineer

Just tried to do a passenger run with rain and snow. Got wheelslip and the speedometer got up to 750 kilometers, stopped the train because turning off the regulator did nothing and sitting here watching the wheels spinning with no change.

Freight is completely useless on the PS4, derails and one lousy freight car, altho it seems we can use others when we create scenarios, which makes no sense, now it seems like I can only run passenger services when it's dry. Not to mention having to reload the timestable several times so the fireman shows up.

Wonder if it was worth rushing this out? So much was done so well but it's like eating a slice of delicious black forest cake with a crusty turd hidden in it.

• Like Like x 2