Spirit Of Steam. Starting In The Rain.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Withnail67, Jun 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Withnail67

Withnail67 New Member

Hi all,
    I'm in need of some help as I simply haven't been able to get the loco moving in the rain. When it's dry, I'm getting the hang of things nicely, getting up gradients with steam to spare.
    When it's wet I'm finding that, even with the sander on (front) reverser set to 75% forward & cylinder cocks open, if I set the regulator to ~8% to 10%, there's not enough pressure and when the coupling rod on the wheels gets to the horizontal, it locks. Or, if I apply more than ~10% on the regulator, the wheels spin.
    So, what is the procedure for setting off on a wet track?
    Any advice would be most welcome, thanks.

2. appleerwin

appleerwin Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

75% reverser is stump-pulling torque: in other words you'll spin in the wet. Back it off.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

I have virtually never used 75% forwards on the reverser, only time I've ever used it was to get up to about 5mph on a 500 tonne consist. Don't give up! Once you master these engines it makes you feel great! :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Withnail67

Withnail67 New Member

Thanks folks. Hopefully I won't be cancelling any more services due to "water on the line"!

6. Withnail67

Withnail67 New Member

7. Withnail67

Withnail67 New Member

Still no joy on the second journey of Chapter 2 "Clock Face Colliery". I can move the train backwards a little way (no problem getting moving at all), stop. Then start moving forward again - get to 2mph but the loco stops when it gets back to its original starting point.
    Anyone else having an issue with this mission?

PS. Using the hints given in this thread, I tried a Timetable run with the weather set to "Heavy Storm" and didn't have any issues getting moving.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  8. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

IIRC, this is one of those services where there's a bug with the mineral vans- until it's patched, you need to manually release the vacuum brake on each van before you depart. There are detailed instructions in one of the big SoS threads around here. It's not hard but a little time consuming.

• Like Like x 1