It Is Impossible For Me To Leave Liverpool With "spirit Of Steam".

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by kekanha#4892, Jun 1, 2022.

1. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

hello friends of TSW, yesterday I got "spirit of steam", everything was going great, but when I try to get to the first stop after leaving liverpool I am not able to get there, no matter how much I save on the inverter at the beginning, keep it up the brake at 21, I never arrived. That's why I ask for help. Thank you

2. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

First up make sure your fireman is on AUTOMATIC in settings.

next - after releasing the brakes, make sure the large ejector is CLOSED as it wastes steam.
    Open the cylinder cocks, get moving with a bit of regulator. After a half dozen chuffs, close the cylinder cocks.
    Around 10mph, drop the reverser/cutoff back to 50%.
    Watch the steam chest (lower needle on the bottom left hud) as you apply regulator, keep it NEAR the read line and then dont apply any further, it's a waste.
    Around 15mph I usually have the cut off back to around 25%.
    Apply regulator as needed but again watch the steam chest and the boiler pressure indicator.

Even the 10 coach trains you should be able to exceed 20mph by Edge Hill at the top without losing much steam.

If you want to do this MANUAL firing - the key is to get both dampers opened wide, you're gonna need a hot fire.

Matt.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. kekanha#4892

thanks matt, maybe my problem is in the configuration, surely the "fireman" is not properly configured, because everything else you've told me I did and it didn't work for me. I appreciate that you answered me because you are surely the best possible opinion. Thanks a lot. When I get home from work, I'll try again and let you know. Once again, thank you very much for your attention.

4. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

For me the fireman defaulted into the manual mode in the options menu. You can put it in assisted and automatic. It makes a massive difference in automatic.

• Like Like x 2
  5. kekanha#4892

20220601_152037.jpg 20220601_152927.jpg

6. kekanha#4892

Thanks a lot. the configuration. hehe

7. kekanha#4892

It was in manual, it was not even able to start properly. Now it's on automatic and I'm doing fine. thanks for your attention

8. Kevvy68

Kevvy68 Member

I had trouble, however going great now. Dampers are a big help, setting brake with the large valve after use of vac and closing too. Proper use of reverser was key and monitoring pressures, backing off regulator for a few secs when pressure drops helps..
    Dampers up, use the blower and before you know it steam is forcing through the safety valves. Great SIM, enjoy

9. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Yes confirmed the fireman defaulted to manual - i've added it to the list to be fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  10. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I'm at my wit's end trying to learn how to get a train up this bank. At first I used the guide in the video uploaded on the YouTube channel, but this was absolutely useless and even following the method outlined to the letter I couldn't get beyond 12mph before speed fell.

Then I tried mimicking what Matt did in yesterday's stream- also no joy. Then I used the method he described above, and that seemed to do it. Even set up a practice scenario and re- did it a couple extra times to make sure.

Then I tried starting a timetable service and even though I swear I'm using the exact same method that brought me success earlier, I'm back to stalling and not being able to get beyond around 11-12mph. I'm clearly doing something wrong but I don't know what. The boiler pressure seems quite steady and I'm keeping the steam chest close to but not exceeding the red line, but I just can't make it somehow.

What makes it more infuriating is that I HAVE done it a few times. Not only can I not figure out what I'm doing wrong but I can't work out what I did RIGHT on the two or three occasions I've made the climb.

11. kekanha#4892

what matt told me, you have to go to settings and change the "fireman" to automatic.

12. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

I love how a new level of difficulty and learning has been brought to the sim. SoS is one of the best dlcs made

13. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

For me I did not check the small ejector, that was closed, not sure what default was supposed to be. Also I noticed hand brake fully applied on the wall opposite the fire person. After opening small ejector and releasing the hand brake it is a lot easier now lol.

14. james64

I have though!

15. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

For me it was defaulted to Auto

16. james64

That did the trick! The small ejector is closed by default in timetable mode, but it should be fully open. That's why I was able to do it in the scenario I made but not in a service, because in the scenario planner the small ejector is already set (the cylinder cocks are also already open).

• Like Like x 1
  17. ianjpoole

ianjpoole Active Member

I don't know what I am doing wrong then because I have the automatic fireman on and it is still struggling up the slightest of grades, even following your instructions

18. ianjpoole

ianjpoole Active Member

Scrap that, having double checked, it apparently kept defaulting back to manual for some reason

19. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Did you remember to press options to confirm your change and to save it?

• Like Like x 1
  20. kekanha#4892

yes, that usually happens. you forget to press options and everything remains the same.

21. ianjpoole

ianjpoole Active Member

I can only think that that is what happened lads but running a Jube at 75mph, it felt so right