Spirit Of Steam: Window Hanging, Drop Windows & Side Ventilators

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by goldenage, Jun 5, 2022.

1. goldenage

goldenage New Member

Suggestion:
    Add 'window hanging' as a feature to the MK1 coaches in Spirit of Steam. You walk up to an opened window and press E to get a head-out view, much like the shift+2 view in train simulator. This was fairly prevalent in the 1950s and a wonderful way to enjoy the scenery, soot and speed of the train (not that I was there).

To complement the addition of window hanging, randomly opened door windows and ventilators on saloon/compartment windows would add the feeling of these coaches being used/lived in. The amount the windows are opened, and the quantity that are opened would be modulated by the external conditions: opened less in rain, fewer opened in winter, perhaps?

2022-06-05_09-20-52.jpg
    2022-06-05_09-33-14.jpg

Benefits:
    One of the most immersive parts of TSW2 is being a passenger, and I have found this especially true for Spirit of Steam. The ability to hang out of the windows and watch the world go past would enhance this feeling, especially if the audio of wind and track noise was well balanced.

Disclaimer:
    I do not advocate this practice in real life, but I do not think there is a safety issue with adding this feature to the game. Window hanging is already banned on the real railway, and soon all trains will be fitted with window bars to prevent it even where it is still technically possible. However, I do not think children are impressionable enough for this to be the reason not to add this feature (if they are, maybe we should re-evaluate the ability to roam freely on the running lines!)

I'd like to know other people's thoughts on this suggestion. Photo credits: David Rostance on Flickr.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  2. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

This was mentioned on one of the streams. Above every window is a sign that says "risk of death, dont stick your head out the window" or along those lines. So it was decided not to add the featur.

3. albinopigeon

albinopigeon Active Member

Adding this would do no harm, it sounds like a small but nice feature to deepen your immersion while riding a train as a passenger. Maybe just have the view from immediately outside the window instead of "leaning" all the way out of it?

4. goldenage

goldenage New Member

I did see this, but I think they should reconsider. After all, there are signs to mind the gap and to not trespass on the railway but this is possible (very easy; you can jump off any platform and run down the line). I think this is an example of inconsistency which, if fixed, would be beneficial to the experience.

DTG has sufficient warnings and disclaimers at the start of the game, I don't think they necessarily need to protect anyone from leaning out of the windows! I do see the self-contradiction of having the warning stickers and then allowing window hanging, but rules are made to be broken...! I don't think any reasonable person would see it as encouraging this behaviour (which, as I mentioned earlier, will soon be impossible in real life).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Can't you set this up yourself with the 3 camera? Haven't tried in passenger mode (never play it) but seems an obvious thing

I can see why DTG wouldn't put it in the game because passengers have been advised against "windowing" for years following several accidents

6. goldenage

goldenage New Member

Yes you could easily, if every signal or bridge within close proximity didn't glitch your camera inside the train or to who knows where, as I have found when trying to do this.

7. ARuscoe

Would your head out view not do this anyway? People having heads hanging outside in a pressure variance when a close bridge abuttment passes is one of the dangers

8. goldenage

goldenage New Member

No, it would work like a conventional cab view, which is not impacted by collision with in-game geometry (hence when signals/bridges are placed too close and clip the driver's view, they don't glitch the driver's camera). In case I am not clear, I understand the real-life dangers, I just don't see it as posing any significant risk due to circumstances in reality, and due to the other dangerous activities the player takes part in already. After all, the game is supposed to be fun so I thought this would be a fun addition!

9. ARuscoe

In reality only authorised persons would be on the track (and as a driver you would be an authorised person), in reality you shouldn't stick your head out of a window which you CAN still do on certain trains in the UK and shouldn't be encouraged.
    You'd be amazed at what some people count as "fun"

10. goldenage

goldenage New Member

To ease your concerns, what if there was an acknowledgement prompt the first time you did it, which said something along the lines of "Leaning out of a window on a real railway is very dangerous. Always follow safety warnings". This could be acknowledged with 'E' and then we are both happy. It's not an ideal scenario, but in my opinion still worth it for the play value.

11. ARuscoe

Not my concerns that matter, more the licensing train companies...

12. goldenage

goldenage New Member

Such as British Railways? ;)

13. ARuscoe

And their successors...

14. stewartforgie

stewartforgie Well-Known Member

Or you could just use TrackIR in passenger mode to lean out of the window.

15. brfan#9132

brfan#9132 Active Member

To be honest now days we stick heads out the window on a heritage railway

16. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yes. They should add this to all windows that can be opened enough to fit your head through.

This is already a think with german locos that have shunting controls, I can't see why not add it to other windows as well.