Bad Framerates

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by thundakid23, Jun 2, 2022.

1. thundakid23

thundakid23 Member

is anybody experiencing bad framerates when on sherman hill and horseshoe curve playing a tutorial mission when outside moving the camera around its just unplayable but when i am on sandpatch or clinchfiled no frame rate drops at all

2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Turn foliage detail to medium in settings will help

3. thundakid23

thundakid23 Member

thank you ill try it i am running on the highest settings and works amazingly on the other routes but not on these 2 routes Sherman hill and horseshoe curve

4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

It's a crude workaround. It all depends on your system. I have a high end system and I have a couple areas on Sherman where I can end up at 25fps. It's because the routes so open so it's drawing a lot of distant scenery rather than it all being a short draw distance enclosed within trees etc I believe

5. thundakid23

thundakid23 Member

i have a decent spec computer runs everything at ultra with smooth framerates on other games in other routes its smooth no issues its just those two routes im not sure if there badly optimized or somthing i dont know

6. I've found it varies from route to route. Also depending what video resolution you are using.

I find 1080 is the best resolution to play tsw. The scenery and trains look really nice with high frame rates and ultra smooth video that's with all settings on max or ultra.

What I can't understand is when I play tsw on a 4k display everything looks terrible! Scenery, trains everything looks horrid. Anti aliasing doesn't seem to work, tracks, trees and buildings render right in front of the train and even though I'm getting constant 60fps the video is stuttering and not smooth at all.

There's a ini file in the game directory that you can tweak hidden graphics settings. Good for 1080 but still doesn't make a lot of difference at 4k.

Here's a guide from the steam community.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1378928501

7. thundakid23

thundakid23 Member

ill take a look i think i might stick with the routes that give me the good frame rates sand patch and clinchfiled i think thanks for this ill take a look :)

8. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

I can run 4k Ultra with engine.ini enhancements quite happily on a fairly mediocre spec (2070 GPU, 16GB, antique CPU but good for its day). I'd rather have 24fps at 4K than 60fps at HD, but that comes down to personal preference. I'd recommend playing with your engine.ini file - I'd be happy to post my version, but the 'right' settings are machine dependent and come down to personal preference, as I say - how much do you care about pop-in vs frame rate etc. Some areas of Sherman are a real pig for frame rates though.