Options For New Branch Lines To Add To London Commuter

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by simon_fielding, Jun 3, 2022.

1. simon_fielding

simon_fielding Well-Known Member

This thread is just some possible branch lines to add to Brighton - London. All of these probably won’t make it but it would be good to add a few. In order for one of these to be in the game, they might have to remove some 377 services for these.

Brighton - Hove
    Brighton - Hove is about 1 mile (2 km) and could add some more services for Class 313 shuttles. Journey time on this stretch is around 3 - 5 minutes.

Selhurst - Sutton
    This branch is about 5 miles (8 km) and can take from 15 - 20 minutes. This would extend some services up to Epsom and Epsom downs and complete London Victoria - Sutton services. This route has 5 stops.

Purley - Caterham
    This line is around 4 miles and can take 10 - 15 minutes to ride. It has 4 stops and can complete London Victoria - Caterham & Tattenham Corner services by operating the Caterham train.

Purley - Tattenham Corner

This is 6 miles and can take 25 minutes to drive. It has 7 stops (including Reedham) and can complete London Victoria - Caterham & Tattenham Corner services by operating the Tattenham Corner train.

Three Bridges - Horsham

This takes around 16 minutes and is 8 miles long. It has 5 stops and this can complete London Victoria - Horsham services and can extend some London Victoria - Bognor Regis services.

Since polls are temporary disabled, just comment which one you want below.

• Like Like x 13
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I can't see DTG adding to BML, TBH. 1. The parts of the route unfinished on release (like Reigate, missing track at Redhill and numerous missing sections of lineside fencing) have still not been fettled nearly a year later. The route already teeters on the limits of what TSW can handle. Finally, DTG are still adamant there are no plans to extend or merge existing routes.

3. mooredean1978

mooredean1978 Active Member

Three Bridges to Horsham

4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Brighton Hove and Three Bridges to Horsham these can make the line useful.
    If DTG makes a Rush hour train pack should have a class 700 to run Horsham to London Thameslink Trips.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

All of them. :D

Joking aside, from your list I'd pick the above as it would give the Metro services some interesting, unique services. More realistically, regarding the route to Tattenham Corner, we should at least get Reedham and Coulsdon Town considering they can actually already be seen.

My reasoning is that with Brighton-Hove part of West Coastway, and Three Bridges to Horsham technically the Arun Valley Line, I'd rather see such as whole, standalone route DLCs in the future.

But then again, an extension to Horsham would be very interesting due to it being where 377s attach/divide to/from Victoria and down to Bognor and/or Portsmouth/Southampton, plus the terminus for Thamelink's Peterborough services and some Southern Metro services.

Horsham:
    IMG_20211109_105343.jpg IMG_20211106_101148.jpg

6. Mateiule

Mateiule Active Member

I'm gonna add my own and that is Wivelsfield to Lewes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steve08

steve08 Active Member

Or Eastbourne ?

8. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

Im not going to lie I don't see this happening.

BML has loads of bugs especially when it comes to signalling so adding all these branches would kind of just make that issue worse. A good shout though if DTG decide to update and fix the BML.

9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Unless BML features in the big summer bonanza I can see it going like SEHS and DTG drawing a line under it.

10. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

I have also had some questions about why certain stations and/or branch lines were not added to BML before. I guess it all comes down to memory and stuff, but related was Boston to Providence route , Why when that route was optimized in TSW3 to make room for the Acela, why wasn’t some stations that are actually on the map not made playable. Would’ve had added a lot more services on the route.The reason I ask that here, this is some what related since a least on paper Boston seemed to have plenty of room to add versus on the BML. But didn’t. Are they more factors that we don’t know. West Croydon and Hove stations come to mind. Just curious…..

11. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

To be honest. I’d like to see Wivelsfield to Lewes added. Complete the triangle. Easier for terminating services at for Eastbourne at Lewes anyways.

• Like Like x 2
  12. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Yes please. Either added to London Commuter or ECW but must be included.

• Like Like x 3