West Somerset Railway Xbox Dlc Review Read Before Buying!!!!!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Thatmadgk, Sep 12, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Thatmadgk

Thatmadgk New Member

So i thought id share my thoughts on the West somerset DLC for everyone to see what its likes before considering buying it.

This Review is separated into 4 sections
    1. What Was offered
    2. Good Points
    3. Bad Points
    4. Overall thoughts

1. What Was Offered
    Lets first start off on what Dovetail Described it at
    As per the twitter and other social media outlets this route was described as " Rolling hills, golden meadows and seaside views are yours to experience in Train Sim World: West Somerset Railway, bringing Britain’s longest standard gauge heritage railway to life. Operate your trains in a diesel gala environment and keep the tourists entertained with a diesel-bashing display of powerful locomotives thundering through Somerset’s beautiful countryside."
    This quote was taken from there youtube advert which is located here-
    Also was offered was the BR Class 09 and the BR Class 47 and the whole line between Minehead and Norton Fitzwarren, but only services go to Bishops Lydeard which is about 20 miles long.

2. Good Points
    The Route itself is scenically excellent, each station is beautifully modelled and highly detailed
    The 2 locos that came with the route and also excellent the detail and the sounds are brilliant
    Also the carriages that came are beautifully modelled

3.Bad Points
    As in "What was offered" Dove tail games advertised this as a "diesel-bashing display" a diesel gala. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. How they can think that having 2 locos on a route and have not more then 1 train passing at every passing loop or station is stupid. If they added the class 66 from GWE Then i would feel abit more happier about how the product was advertised and sold.
    The route feels empty, Referring back to my previous point about the "Diesel bashing display" I feel that they could of made more ai traffic in service mode and scenarios as it feels as im driving on a ghost railway.
    They should of added some freight wagons, passenger trains are all good but its meant to be a diesel gala so wheres the demonstration freight trains?
    Sidings not full of wagons either, reflects back to my point on a ghost railway
    Honestly as a 3d modeller myself it does not take long to make wagons, (it took myself 1 week by myself to create 15 wagons)
    Still no free roam, id love to just drive this route as a free roam scenario but again hasn't been added to the game

4. Overall thoughts
    Overall i think this DLC Is abit overpriced, maybe if it was priced at £14.99 and i would have a different review on it
    The route itself is excellent scenery wise and details
    Its just being let down by the laziness of not adding wagons, free roam and false advertising on DTGs part ( Maybe if they advertised it as Something like "Operate a diesel day" Then id have a different opinion of it but its not.

Overall 6/10
    Route- 9/10
    Included locos- 7/10
    Included Rolling Stock- 5/10

Thanks for reading

Disclaimer- This is totally my opinion and i have purchased this DLC for the full £19.99 price tag
    I do not work for dovetail games and am solely a customer/consumer

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Eric261992

Eric261992 Member

With ai its to do with the frame rates

3. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

I agree with the review but I would have also brought up the numerous bugs in the dlc

• Like Like x 1
  4. deaks1

deaks1 New Member

I agree and yet again priced at £19.99 no way I would pay this for dlc plus the fact all the glitches on the game anyway support seems to be minimal

5. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

We get the point mate, you've wrote this on every thread... most of us want and enjoy the game even though it has issues you just seem to consistently complain rather than recognize there are multiple positives!

• Like Like x 4
  6. deaks1

deaks1 New Member

Yet another forum where you can't have an opinion I think I have only posted on 2 threads any way like a few on here I spent 10 years driving for British rail and 2 years driving for London transport on the central line

7. deaks1

deaks1 New Member

Oh forgot to say dlc not worth £19.99

8. NekoNina

NekoNina Well-Known Member

What has your job to do with this discussion? It just seems like you want to brag about it.

• Like Like x 4
  9. deaks1

deaks1 New Member

Do you think I would brag about two of the worst jobs going you lot need to grow up and go play with your train sets how sad you are

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

I think you need to calm down. We are open to discussion however as MC germany fan points out your job isn't really relevant here and now you are being rude. If your happy to have a mature conversation about the pros and cons of the dlc we can do.

• Like Like x 4
  11. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

There is no need to insult others when somebody is asking you why you have posted something which has no relation to the discussion.

From your comments, it's obvious you don't value the DLC at its full price and that's fine. If you aren't going to get £19.99 of enjoyment out of the game that's entirely okay but you need to respect that others won't always agree with you.

• Like Like x 6
  12. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I don't think that a train simulator should be expected to exactly duplicate real-life experiences, during which many events occur that would be as difficult to simulate as they are to anticipate in the real world. I worked in theater for many years and would welcome a theater simulator, but I wouldn't ever expect it to replicate my good and bad experiences.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Eric261992

Eric261992 Member

So wh6 bring it up if you dont like your job. You may have a fustrating job but dont bring fustration on here

• Like Like x 1
  14. daviddaz

daviddaz Member

I’d say this route ain’t for everyone. It’s very slow and frustrating. But that’s down to the actual route and not the game as such .
    Some of the scenarios don’t seem to work as they should .
    It’s fairy enjoyable as it goes the odd time I’ve played it . But I usually go more towards GWR route my self when playing TSW.

• Like Like x 1