Do We Really Need Another Mta/new York Route In Tsw?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by CrazyDash, Jun 7, 2022.

1. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

This has been something that has bothered me ever since the release of the Harlem Line. Before I go any further, I don't want anyone to think I actually don't want more MTA routes to be added in the future. As a matter of fact, I do want more, except for one. Anyways, ever since the release of Harlem a couple of months ago, I have been seeing all of these people begging DTG to make more MTA routes. We just got Harlem, do we really need another one at this very moment? Many other passenger operators out there would make for very good US passenger routes. We badly need more variety for US passenger content as right now it is very lackluster. We now have 2 third rail routes, both in New York. You could also count NEC, New York. This means DTG has made 3 routes all within New York, and 4 within the Northeast. The only US passenger route that isn't in the Northeast is Peninsula Corridor. There are many other cities and states that deserve to have a US passenger route in TSW. Florida, Texas, Illinois, California, Washington DC, Philadelphia, the list goes on. Not everything has to be in New York. The most common routes people have been begging for are the Hudson Line and the New Haven Line. Now I'm a huge fan of the Hudson Line, but I don't want to see it anytime soon since we just got Harlem. The New Haven Line is outrageously overrated. Literally, the only remotely interesting thing about the route is the M8. The route itself though is completely boring. Right now, the biggest thing we are lacking in terms of US passenger content is literally just full-on diesel lines. Routes like Peninsula Corridor are what we need much more of since that is what is seen all across the country. There are so many options. DTG has said that they want to have a lot of variety within TSW. Making more MTA routes is doing the exact opposite of that. We need new operators in the game. Heck, I'd even be cool with something like NJ Transit. Now the obvious issue is licensing. But what needs to be remembered is that things are always bound to change. TSW has seen quite a few new faces. MBTA is one of them. TSW is a much more appealing game to be in compared to TS Classic. There is always the possibility of new operators having an interest in being in TSW2. Just because they don't have licensing with certain operators now, doesn't mean they won't get them later. We need new operators in the game so that US content can thrive in variety, and not use the same 3 operators for every US passenger route. Ok that's it for my little rant. Stop asking for MTA stuff, and ask for things that would actually give the game variety.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  2. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Though I agree with you, people can request whatever they want to. DTG/Third parties will ultimately decide what we’ll get.

I reckon we’ll see NJ Transit soon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Well saying a route may be boring is subjective. I may find a CTA route boring. (That's an example cause I'd think a Chicago subway line would be cool but saying don't make a route because it is "boring" is not a reason not to make it because that is just subjective) But look anyone can suggest whatever they want. You may not like the suggestion but people can suggest whatever they like. I guess MTA routes are popular. There are metro north lines that operate west of the Hudson and use diesel trains only. If they made another Metro North line, you don't have to get it. DTG ultimately decide what to make

But I do agree with your statement that DTG should branch out. The problem is that alot of the licenses dtg have according to matt are from companies that operate in the northeast u.s. So I feel like newer u.s passenger routes in the short term will just be in the northeast u.s. We may see New Jersey Transit in the game though someday since they have the license for it.

As for other routes in other parts of the country, it's a wait and see frankly so I guess it's probably best to expect future U.S passenger routes to be in the Northeast U.S

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  4. mojo3445

mojo3445 New Member

no we really dont lmao

5. CrazyDash

Ok yeah I was kinda venting at that point. The main reason I heavily dislike the New Haven Line is that there are parts of the NEC that I would much prefer seeing over the New Haven Section. Routes like DC-Baltimore and NY-Philadelphia I think are what DTG should do if they ever do another NEC route. The New Haven Line doesn't really have anything interesting about it other than scenery and that the M8 runs on it. However, the one thing that makes me really hate the route is how much slower it is compared to DC-Baltimore and NY-PH. Now for MTA trains, 80mph is pretty good. But for an NEC route, that's really bad. Would not be fun to drive the ACS64 and Acela on. On the contrary, Amtrak recently upgraded a 24 mile section of track on NY-PH to allow the Acela to go 145-150mph. DC-Baltimore averages 110-125mph for most of the route, and the same for NY-PH. NJT and SEPTA trains get to go 100mph, and MARC trains can go 125mph. Plus routes like NY-PH have the potential of being one of the busiest US routes in TSW. I'd much rather have DTG do one of those routes over the New Haven Line as they have so much more to offer.

The other reason this stuff frustrates me is that we haven't gotten a traditional diesel US route since Peninsula Corridor all the way back in 2019. I know you say I can just simply not buy a route, but because of how hardly often we get passenger routes, they're most likely not making another US passenger route for a while, and that really upsets me.

6. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Imma agree with you on this. Now I know that's all the licenses we have but it doesn't take away the fact that most of the passenger routes are from the east coast except for peninsula corridor. I used to want just new york content but new york isn't the whole US. I like the us trains and routes, but all the trains look and feel similar. Yes the f40ph-2cat and f40ph-3c are different in how they drive, still an f40. Same with the m3a, m7a, m3 and m7. We've seen the acs64 twice. Despite the overhaul, still used again. Not a freight fan but same with the us freight routes: same freight locomotives. I want to be able to drive other trains, more diesels, scenic routes, freight running next to passenger, etc. Njt and more nec is nice but it's still east coast. Hopefully more licenses can be obtained so we can see the middle of the us, the north and the south. No, freight does not count. Being a us passenger fan, I hope we can have dlc from different parts of the us

• Like Like x 1
  7. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

I think that the South has been completely neglected. Yet it wouldn't require additional licenses to produce a route there, nor would it require as much development work in new traction or rolling stock. (DTG already has Amtrak, CSX, and NS licenses.) The only new stock needing to be created would be an Amtrak Genesis engine and three passenger cars: a Viewliner baggage car, diner, and sleeper. (I'd be willing to suspend my disbelief and have them use Amfleet I coaches and cafe cars for Amtrak long-distance trains in the South - the differences are so minimal that the average passenger wouldn't ever even notice.) If they made that additional Amtrak stock then it could even be used on some of the other US freight routes. They already have all the freight traction and stock they'd need.

Then again, to make the timetable really interesting, they'd need commuter services. Luckily, Florida uses the same Bombardier passenger cars in both Central and South Florida. They could even be reskinned and used on Oakville as GO stock along with a reskinned F40.

• Like Like x 1
  8. fevers

fevers New Member

I don't really want an Metro North Railroad/Long Island Rail Road route for a bit, you are correct we have too many routes based in New York. However i would say the NYC Subway would be a nice addition, since we only have 1 subway route currently and the NYC Subway has a lot of lines to choose from. But in the end yes, we do need more variety for US routes, I personally would like something based in the South.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

I honestly don’t mind having another commuter rail from the MTA. The routes you mentioned does have benefits of using layers though, which is what I like about German and UK routes. However, I don’t mind having other U.S. routes outside of NY.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tallboy7648

I get what your feeling. I do think that DTG should perhaps branch out though out of the northeast in my opinion. NY to Philly is still in the northeast. DTG can try to explore metro routes or other commuter rail systems like Bay Area Rapid Transit in my opinion.

11. tallboy7648

Considering how Bakerloo turned out, I'd be a bit skeptical if they did an NYC subway route. I don't think we will see another subway route for a long time.

12. tallboy7648

The problem with southern Amtrak routes is that they don't run very often. Some services that are long distance run a few times a day. Maybe Brightline would be a better option.

There is also Metrorail which is a subway system in miami. MARTA which is a subway system in Atlanta Georgia. There is also MARTA Commuter Rail Transit which is Marta's commuter rail network that operates in Georgia. BART, L.A Metro and I can go on.

Point is there are alot of other routes besides Amtrak that can be done. DTG just has to be willing to get licensing. Not to mention Amtrak trains aren't that frequent in the south so it would be pointless to make in my opinion

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  13. CrazyDash

I mean there is Miami-WPB. That sees both the Silver Star and Silver Meteor. So that you'd have 4 mainline services. Now there could be additional services such as some possible switching duties in the P42 unless it's done by an Amtrak or CSX switcher, and balloon loop services. Now with Tri-Rail running in the area, that would be the majority of your services as long as DTG can get a Tri-Rail license in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  14. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

It probably wouldn't happen, but honestly, I'd love to see a Peninsula Corridor 2.0, with more modern route-building and features, after Caltrain finishes its electrification upgrades.

15. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Should work because some routes can get layers Northeast Corridor Newark Airport to New Haven 86 miles can receive ACS-64 from NEC Boston-Providence Rush Hour Train Pack Acela Express.
    What NEC Newark,NJ to New Haven CT can give Boston-Providence is Avelia Liberty owners of Boston Providence get to high speed trains one next-generation Avelia Liberty the other existing Acela Express.

16. tallboy7648

That would be cool

17. tallboy7648

But the sliver metor runs two trains a day. The sliver star runs the same frequency. DTG would in my opinion have to add tri-rail if they were gonna make this route

18. CrazyDash

Exactly. Along with some CSX trains

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Problem is DTG doesn't really have very many options in term of passenger licenses in general, with the majority of them being based around the NYC area.

Known Licenses
    -Caltrain (Cant do much else with it)
    -MBTA (Newest License, we'll see if they expand)
    -MTA (LIRR, Metro-North)
    -New Jersey Transit (Will most likely be seen in the future.)
    -Amtrak (Assuming it also covers state corridors like the Surfliner & Midwest)

Licenses they don't have (Based on TSC)
    -Metra (Effects any Chicago area route)
    -Metrolink (Effects LA area and Surfliner)
    -Coaster (Effects San Diego and Surfliner)
    -Tri-Rail (Effects Miami - WPB)
    -MARC (Effects NEC near Washington DC)

Unknown
    -SEPTA (Never came to TSC, but was never unbranded either)

There is also a handful of other commuter lines around the country, but finding a good one that a route can be built, as well as acquiring a license is another story....

Of course, this could also be easily fixed if DTG made a route set in a time where the Class 1's still ran their own passenger trains (Pre-1971 for long distance trains, later for certain commuter lines)
    SP_3197_with_train_170_at_4th_and_Townsend,_August_1977.jpg
    tumblr_oi41cmYmR71rxwen9o1_1280.jpg
    vol10-memoriesofbn5-large9op.jpg 8682.1075996800.jpg

20. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Do we really need any more US/UK/DE content, considering there's hundreds of countries not in the game at the moment? That'd be good for variety.

• Like Like x 1
  21. driverwoods#1787

Top to bottom Southern Pacific
    Chicago and Northwestern Burlington Northern the last one is Pennsylvania Railroad.
    Southern Pacific Chicago and Northwestern license for them it's held by Union Pacific
    Burlington Northern license held by BNSF
    Pennsylvania Railroad American underwriters insurance this was said in a stream by Matt.

22. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

The quality of the harlem line is really good in my opinion. The only major problem i have, its ending in the middle of nothing at North white plains. Not be able to go to southeast makes this feel unfinished.

So yes im perfectly fine with another mta route.

But:
    If so, why not making the first step into network based routes?

The new haven line has a perfect lenght and uses grand central. It would make up for the ultra short harlem line, of which its more an excuse the 25 miles are based on "scenery...".

Well even if its not connected, another 25 miles section of the new haven line would be a huge disappointment. Either make it the right way or leave it entirely. But im not interested in another 1/3 route demo version.

So yeah, looking forward to the announcement.

• Like Like x 1
  23. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

For modern CrazyDash I would love to see an electrified version of Peninsula Corridor with the Flirts running on it.

For the past I would really enjoy an interurban line like Sacramento South from TS.

For modern diesel there are some good busy options that would allow for a strong busy time table. I would love one that also has freight in the mix on the same tracks for variety.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  24. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The problem with licenses is we don't know the specific stipulations of those licenses. Just because they have one CSX or Amtrak route doesn't mean they have Carte Blanche to do whatever they want with another Amtrak or CSX route or train. The license may have been specifically that train in that region for a particular period of time or whatever
    There have been occasions in TSC where licenses have been removed and DLC had to be pulled from sale because of such stipulations

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Blacknred81

DTG is currently in good standing with CSX, UP, and BNSF, and thier predecessors. So those are avaliable to DTG to make a route around if they want to. NS is a bit iffy, but the upcoming Penn Central pack on TSC shows that they will also play ball with their predecessors.

The only NA route that I know got pulled by DTG due to licenses, is the Bessemer & Lake Erie route, as CN only granted use of CN only, and not their predecessors. CP I believe is also in the same boat, but their license is gonna get messy once the CP-KCS merger finally happens.

• Like Like x 1
  26. ARuscoe

"DTG is in good standing so are more likely than not to get additional or extended licenses as required..."
    The language around licensing is important because the way you put it makes it sound like DTG could put out CSX routes anywhere without further discussion and I somehow doubt that's the case

The licenses I was referring to was the Virgin Trains license and Arriva Trains Wales license, both of which resulted in DLC being pulled, those regions being "debranded" and then sold again without logos etc

27. Blacknred81

It's more or a less a route featuring those companies would be easy to do, since approval from them would not be hard to get. Not sure what actually goes thru the approval process, but I'm pretty sure it isn't difficult for DTG to do, let's say for example, a Santa Fe route, after approval from BNSF.

• Like Like x 1
  28. ARuscoe

This is likely the bit that takes the time, even if they're in good standing already

29. mojo3445

mojo3445 New Member

what have you started, its a war in this thread

• Like Like x 1
  30. CrazyDash

I
    NWP is a terminus for most Harlem Line trains. But I definitely do agree it should go to Southeast since we would get longer express runs. Wassaic though isn’t really needed. I’m gonna have to disagree about the New Haven Line though. Wanting a route just for its length really isn’t a good thing. I’ve watched lots of gameplay of the route and I can definitely say it’s the worst part of the entire NEC. Can already come up with 2 that I’d want to see over the New Haven Section

• Like Like x 1
  31. tallboy7648

How come this section is the worst part? Because you can't go fast? A majority of the NEC isn't high speed because of the old infrastructure of the line

32. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Speaking as a Southerner- there really isn't anywhere in the south which would be worth recreating. The only US passenger routes which make sense are commuter routes near major urban areas, augmented by Amtrak-- in the absence of commuter rail, there just isn't enough Amtrak traffic to make a route anything but a post-apocalyptic desert. And there are no southern cities with significant commuter rail systems.

That is, unless they go vintage, back in the 1950s or even the steam era, when there was mainline passenger traffic at more than 1 or 2 tpd.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'm a lifelong Northeast guy, and love that gritty urban feel. Would love to see more MTA/MNRR/LIRR, NYC subway, etc. With the MBTA license, perhaps another Boston commuter route?

NJT license has lots of options from NY to Philly.

Excited to see what's in store!

• Like Like x 1
  34. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

I'd be ok with that. In fact, I'd much rather have 1940s-50s era traffic, traction, and stock in Jacksonville or Tampa than I would anything modern in any part of the USA. Of course, I'd expect all of the different streamlined passenger car types to be modeled, including the interiors. :D

Of course, that's unlikely (at least the part about having all the passenger rolling stock modeled), so I'd be cool with Brightline too. Throw-in some FEC freights on the shared parts of the line for extra traffic and scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  35. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

The sensible thing to do considering DTG aren't ready to release more steam yet is create transition period routes with diesel/electric only and then once they are confident steam is working correctly release steam loco dlc for these routes.

Ofc that might too logical for TSW

36. CrazyDash

I replied to someone earlier on why I dislike it.

• Like Like x 1
  37. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Uuuuuuum let me think now. Hold on now this is obviously a serious question.
    Mmmmmmmm got to think about this. Make an unbiased and rational assessment.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Like Like x 1
  38. tallboy7648

Considering that a MTA licensed route came out nearly 4 years after the first which was the MTA Long Island Railroad's Ronkonkoma and Hempstead Branches which came out in 2018, I think it's safe to bet that we won't see another MTA licensed content for quite a while

39. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Some traction and interurban would be cool.

40. driverwoods#1787

Me the Raritan valley line and my mom went on the 10:48 pm NY Penn to High Bridge trip with her ticket up to Annandale, NJ I-78 exit 18 NJ Transit station.
    This will be like the 23:29 S1 Meißen to Dresden Hbf trip since it breaks the Midnight situation in the game. For RVL Train 5197 the game midnight situation is bypassed at Somerville and Raritan stations 11:59 pm to 12:02 am (UK Europe 24hr clock format 23:59-0:02)

• Like Like x 1
  41. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Agreed, I left Harlem well alone as the trains look as dull as hell, the m7 I've played with, the m8, I don't care about, never knew it existed so....

The line from what I've seen is pin straight with everyone saying it's too short....

You see my incentive to buy now. These lines which take you from a city centre 10 miles outside don't engage me personally. Cathcart, Bakerloo are the same, both dead currently.

I like a journey like the German routes

• Like Like x 1