Any Update Today?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by solicitr, Jun 7, 2022.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

No announcement, but I thought that there was an Ultra High Priority week-one patch for SoS we were supposed to be getting?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I think "ultra priority week one" is along the same lines as "the world was created in seven days". Nobody has yet worked out how long a day or week actually is in these environments

• Like Like x 3
  3. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

i'll have what he's having.

• Like Like x 2
  4. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

There should be a patch released sometime this week, if I recall correctly

• Like Like x 2
  5. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

JD said on the stream that it should be released 'by the end of the week'. Seems the biggest fixes will be the track joint sounds, and i believe the disappearing fireman.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Hopefully they should fix RT and HRR as well.

• Like Like x 2
  7. The_Drunken_Engineer

Didn't they just do that? lol

8. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Yea but it also broke stuff

• Like Like x 1
  9. The_Drunken_Engineer

Therein lies the irony, I suppose. A shame since HRR is one of my favorite routes.

10. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hoping this side of the weekend, currently containing in terms of key improvements:
    • [SoS] Joint track sounds
    • [SoS] Mastery and Achievements now unlockable for all
    • [SoS] players should now default to 'Automatic', rather than 'Assisted' fireman when starting for the first time
    • [RT] rear PIS fixed on Talent 2
    • [RT] Door misalignment fixed on Talent 2
    • [Ruhr-Sieg Nord] track textures improved
    • [Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr] reduction in volume and frequency of level crossing audio

Not the full list though - will publish that when we're live.

• Like Like x 16
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  11. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Very good. I might have been fairly negative these days, but this is great news. I didn't expect those to be release so quickly, whether it is this or next week is still acceptable, considering how long the PZB issue took to fix I wasn't expecting anything faster than at the very least a few weeks.

Hopefully a few issues related with buffers and other bugs will be next.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CobraBlue6

CobraBlue6 New Member

DTG JD is there any update about the use of controllers on PC causing stuttering?

• Like Like x 2
  13. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Better take a few days more before rushing out another update with issues. I really don't care if its this weekend or next but if DTG can make sure its bug-free then im looking forward to this weekend.

• Like Like x 2
  14. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Hopefully this update won't break other things

15. DTG JD

It's not currently in the build for this update; I don't have an update at this stage.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. Hope it gets some dev time soon- it's not gamebreaking but it's annoying and affects EVERY service in the game. Thx.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

These four items are actually really promising, as they've been the most complained-about issues on this forum for weeks. I'm really glad to see that they're being addressed so quickly. I'll cross my fingers and be cautiously optimistic while waiting for the upcoming update.

• Like Like x 3
  18. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

Update out on steam.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DTG JD

• Like Like x 3
  20. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Track sounds big thumbs up. Lack of AI sounds/steam please look at sorting out. Takes away the linesiding fun or sitting behind the loco which gives TSW2 a reason to exist in my eyes.

• Like Like x 6
  21. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Anyone able to try the preservation updates?
    These time no newly introduced bugs?

22. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

you know this thing about the level crossing sounds...

anyone know why we are even hearing the warning sounds in the train at all?

I think that on US routes the level crossing warning sounds do play all the time, they also have that thing where the train sounds it's horn and rings a bell as it goes over some types of crossing.

i only drive German routes in TSW2, so i'm commenting on those here.

From what i remember from the 8 years i lived there and numerous trips back to Germany,
    The warning sounder stops when the barriers are fully down and the crossing is 'secured'
    that's the whole idea of the sounder (be it a warble siren, an alarm clock type ringing bell, or a gong type 'ding.....ding....ding' (electronic or an actual metal gong)
    it's telling pedestrians and car drivers to get off the crossing and keep clear as the barriers are about to descend.

The exception being if it's a non barrier type level crossing, with just lights to tell cars not to cross, then the sounders do continue play until the train has gone past,
    and i do pass a few of these on the TSW2 routes i drive, and they used to be silent,
    but now even the full barrier crossings are playing the warning sound that should have stopped before the train got close enough to hear it.

23. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

You can hear lots of "ambient" sounds in cab that you should not (or at least much less loud) hear inside while going 160 km/h...like birds, level crossings and stuff.

I guess the TSW2 sound engine cant do any better and the choice is probably between much to loud sounds in the cab or no ambient sounds at all.

I wish TSW2 would have a good sound engine.

• Like Like x 1
  24. ARuscoe

I think it's less about the sound engine and more about the amount of time spent mixing the soudns that are not directly involved in the workings of the train. At what points do you head bird song from a train? When stood outside of it? when you have the wind open? to a maximum speed of 37 miles per hour depending on whether you're in a double or triple glazed carriage?
    I imagine it's variables and possibilities and the amount of dev time it would take for each instance that makes it hard or almost impossible to get completely right

25. gazz292

i was driving one of the German EMU's the other day, think it was a BR425,
    when you drop speed below about 10kph the door open buttons begin to flash with a pretty loud relay sound clicking on and off (so you can pre-select a door side to open, and they will do so as soon as you stop... or press the close button to cancel the flashing and clicking... be nice if we had a keyboard key to do that with tho)

I usually drive with the cab windows open to try and get louder sounds in the cab, but i decided to drive with the cab doors open this time, and noticed that doing that i lost the 'door button pre-select relay click - clack sounds'
    shut the right hand cab door, and they are there, open it and they disappear!

I guess this is just showing up the major issue with the unreal sound engine, 25 sounds are about 100 too few for a railway simulator,

Wonder if DTG need to look into using an external sound engine, like RW Enhancer does for TSC.

26. tallboy7648

U.S level crossings only plays warning sounds when the gates lower due to a train about to pass. They don't make sound when the gates/barriers are up

• Like Like x 1
  27. ARuscoe

I believe they're asking if those warnings continue to play throughout the "down cycle". In the UK the sirens go off when the warning to say the gates are going to close (yellow light) is active, and then continues until the gates actually close. The siren then shuts off and is not audible (though the red flip flap lights continue)

• Like Like x 3
  28. tallboy7648

Ohh. Well yes in the U.S the siren would play as the barriers go up. Once they are fully up, that's when they stop playing the warning noise. However the lights would still flash in some crossings that I have crossed to let drivers know they are crossing a level crossing whilst the barrier is up but without the noise. In other crossings the lights would go off when the barrier is fully up. It depends on the crossing really

• Like Like x 1
  29. gazz292

ahh yeah, i did mean the warning sound only plays when the barriers are closing (or opening maybe in some parts of the world)
    the ones i'm used to, once the barriers are down the warning sounder is turned off.. as what they are warning about has finished happening.

i live 1/4 of a mile from a UK level crossing of the standard half barrier type, it's located a few yards from the end of the platform for the village train station, so the barriers have to be lowered when a train is coming in to stop at the platform with the level crossing after the platform end for the train traveling in that direction... incase the train overshoots the platform,

but the barriers can't be raised until the trains gone past them, even when it's having to do an extended stop whilst they get the wheelchair ramp out and offload the wheelchair user that uses this station, so sometimes the barriers are down for over 5 minutes with the train in the single track line 'parked' next to them.

So if the warning warbler siren thing was going off that whole time like happens in the game now, it'd drive everyone living nearby... and the train driver and car drivers waiting mad.

30. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Did this also fix the braking problem on the 8f trains?

If not, I'm very happy to at least have track-joint sounds when derailing. Because of the immersion. That must rattle!

31. DTG JD

Not yet, as this requires much more comprehensive testing, as it affects a number of routes.

32. solicitr

I don't think it's a bug or a sound-channel issue- IIRC it's prototypical. At 10 km/'h and under the clack/flash tells the driver to unlock (not open) doors, because IRL it takes a few seconds to equalize the air pressure in the locking system (on another German loco (BR101?), a recording reminds you Türfreigabe, "door release"). Obviously, if you already have a door open there is no need for it and it doesn't sound.

Unfortunately, TSW does not model German passenger doors correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  33. gazz292

ahh, not quite what i was trying to say.

in the BR425 and similar EMU's, they have the 3 push buttons for the doors... here's a set i 3D printed:
    EMU Buttons.jpg
    i presume FL / FR means maybe Fahrgäste Tür Links / Rechts ? i know the middle green circle is the German ZP9 signal... a green circle light or stick held up by the guard / station dispatcher / or a signal on the end of the platform meaning 'close doors ready to depart'

According to Zusi, it is prototypical in these trains to allow you to 'pre select' which side you want the doors to open, and you are able to do that when you go below a certain speed... and now i know why, the door pressure thing.. thankyou.

You can press the door close button to stop the flashing / tik-tok-tik-tok sound.. say when stopping at a signal, this is modeled in TSW2... but annoyingly there is no keyboard key assigned to the door close button, so you need to use the mouse.

Anyway, what i meant was... driving the BR425 with the cab doors open, the 'tik-tok-tik-tok' sound does not play.. the lights are flashing and the buttons respond when pressed as expected,
    but close the right hand drivers cab door, and the tik-tok- sounds do play (if they are supposed to)

so i am guessing having the cab door open it's playing more outside sounds, and has reached the UE4 sound limit, so the tik-tok sounds got over ridden by the outside sounds... birds tweeting, level crossing sounders etc.

34. solicitr

I would guess "Freigabe Links/Rechts"

• Like Like x 1
  35. gazz292

ahh yeah that makes more sense,

with the dosto's and loco hauled passenger trains, you turn the 'Türfreigabe' rotary switch to 'release the left, right or both sides' doors, then operate the white lever switch with the sonderhebel / special lever that actually opens or closes the doors (again only available to do this with the mouse, or the 'Y' and 'U' keys that kind of automates it (and operates the door close switch multiple times, so i guess they ahd a problem with the door close function on one train to do this?)

so on the EMU's, the push buttons release the doors, and they will automatically open when your speed is at zero if you have released them before you stopped,
    and pushing the button once stopped releases and opens them at once.

36. solicitr

Unfortunately, TSW lumps together two separate processes. IRL, the driver ordinarily only locks/unlocks the doors, using the rotary switch. It is up to the passenger to open a door as required, using the local-control (green) button (the doors also close automatically after a brief time, like elevator doors - you don't want to be blasting all your heating/air conditioning into the atmosphere!) Turning the rotary to "lock" closes any doors which are open, then locks them all. The open/close toggle switch is an override, only used if something has gone wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  37. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

No, all this does not matter. Drive Lübeck to Hamburg. Drive in the ICE, drive with all windows closed, drive in cab view, drive 160 km/h. You will still hear loud bird sounds so there is no excuse.

Nobody wants 110% realistic sounds mixed true to life and other games (simulators) don't have these problems.
    So it cant be to hard to not play bird sound while the player is in the cab driving 160 km/h in a 500 ton train

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  38. ARuscoe

OK...
    erm, you just agreed with what I said. What should stop (or allow) noises to play.

Oh cool. What other games allow you to move from a soundproofed vehicle travelling 160kmh to a place 2m away doing 0mph without a break in play and the appropriate sounds playing throughout?

39. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

No i dont. And if you cant see why the sound should not be played loud in this case and have never experienced a game that got it right then there is no point in talking to you about this topic, sorry this conversation just ended.

Also, why would you want to hear a bird sound when there is a 500 ton ICE driving a 160 kmh two meters away, even in outside view? What kind of birds do you think life near Lübeck?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  40. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Routes or Services? Most of all 8f is messed up.

I would be perfectly fine if I had to follow very specific and specific actions that are realistically so right and important. And then I would like to understand and accept it as a challenge. And I even like the fact that such challenges have been built in here. But then they should also work please.

I understand that steam is a thing of its own, and with cars that are loaded and equipped in a variety of ways. That makes it all the more interesting. But that just can't be right.

Also, I just had a SPAD error. The signal showed red even though there was no traffic. I contact the signaller, I should follow the signal picture and then I was out. Also a contradiction in terms. All that with the 8f.

At the Jubilee everything seems fine. The 8f shows the exact opposite. And once again you have to ask yourself - how did you do it?

I also don't know to what extent this was shown and demonstrated in the previous streams. I may have missed important information. Maybe it's because German is my mother tongue and I don't have subtitles. And there is no manual either. And the tutorials don't cover that. So like always.

OK. SoS is a great success for the Jubilee and quite a failure for the 8f. Personally, I would also be very satisfied if every new DLC contained only joy instead of frustration. Unfortunately, it is once again being made too clear here. But well, everything stays the same and at least a part is playable. Also here as usual. Nothing changes...

I was a first day buyer to support you. Now- support me!

• Like Like x 1
  41. ARuscoe

You completely missread what I said in the first place, so I disagree. Conversation should never have started

42. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Not in the US.

43. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Spirit of Steam: Liverpool Lime Street – Crewe

Audio

• Track joint sounds should now be audible throughout route

On ps5 I hear it exactly the same as before, on PC has it improved at all or not?
    However, the safety valve still leaves me deaf every time it is activated. For those of us who play with TSW headphones, it's torture on many occasions because the audio is very poorly balanced.

44. solicitr

I was speaking of German trains

• Like Like x 1
  45. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Yes there are joint sounds now, Having worked around larger boilers in my past - I can tell you when the safety has lifted - it is LOUD. So I would say it is prototypical on the volume -- Now to give you full control over the boiler so you can properly fire and stop from lifting the safeties is what we need.

• Like Like x 2
  46. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

After update now only two platform in scenario planner to choice from for Crewe. Also if you spawn a 10 cart train on platform 5 at crewe it will de-rail the last carriage.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1